Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a Bestem 929 top box on my 2012 650. I'm hoping those of you (especially LeDude) that have experience with this box can help me.

I ordered the T-box mounting kit (LeDude helped them design) along with the T-box and the LED light kit.

The kit arrived quickly and in good condition, but the only included instructions were for installing the mounting plate (and they were instructions for the 400, not 650). No problem. It's ver straight forward, especially if you've looked at LeDude's website.

My first problem. The one forward and two rear spacers were exactly the dimensions LeDude recommends on his site (2 1/4" forward, 1 5/8" rear). But when I installed the mounting plate using those spacers, the mounting plate had a significant up-tilt, and the rear of the mounting plate actually rested on the tupperware. Obviously that wasn't going to work, so as you can see from the picture, I temporarily jury rigged the plate installation by using four washers to add about 1/4 inch height to the rear spacers (temporary fix). It still has a bit of an up-tilt. See close up under mount picture

So, what did I do wrong with the mounting plate installation. My current plan is to shorten the front spacer by about 1/8 inch, and cut two new rear spacers about 1/4 inch longer. That should get pretty close to making the plate level. I'm guessing some of you might have a better idea.

Second issue. I mounted the 929 box plate directly on top of the mounting plate, with the four provided bolts/nuts (see close up over mount). Seems perfect. But I noted in LeDudes installation, he mounted the 929 plate using spacers above his mounting plate. Not sure why. Am I missing something important.

Finally, with my order I received a pack of four 2" bolts/washers/nuts and two 9" brass bars that I did not use in the installation. Didn't see any use/application for them. Did I miss something important?

Thanks in advance ...

Later, I'll tackle wiring up the light kit.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
You definitely have something wrong there. I have a 2013 and the mounting plate sits almost parallel with top of the tupperware piece. I just went out and looked at mine and the gap between the bottom of the mounting plate and top of the tupperware is about 3/4 to 7/8 inch at all 3 posts.
Picture from my iPhone is not the best, but I think you should be able to get the idea of how it should sit.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
I didn't use any of the spacers that Bestem sent me, I made my own.

I am assuming that you also ordered their mounting base plate, I am using my own mounting plate, but theirs is just as good.

you basically want to make sure that the mounting base plate is installed properly and is level, with a slight dip towards the rear of the bike.

you can check my 929 installation DIY for lots of pics and step by step instructions.

I would take everything off, and reinstall everything making sure that everything is level and tight.

let me know if you still have problems.

all the best.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The unused bars are for clamping the box to a rack, if you have one.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For LeDude ... I've been through your instructions many many times (greatly appreciated for sure). Obviously your first install was long before Bestem created a mounting plate that fits both the 400/650 (at your urging) but the principles are the same. I'm curious why you chose to put spacers between the frame plate you built and the Bestem mounting plate. I'm guessing it was just for bolt clearance, but not sure.

For Aroth ... thanks for the picture ... wish my installation looked like that :).

Scooter ... thanks for the clarification ... I always get a bit nervous when I don't have instructions and have leftover parts. Makes sense.

I took it all apart down to the tupperware yesterday when I took the pictures and couldn't figure it out from there. I'm going to take it all apart this afternoon (including all the tupperware) and see if I can figure it out ... I'll include pictures if I can't. I know you can't tell just by looking at an installed picture what I did wrong. More later.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK. I took off all the tupperware and started from scratch again. In summary, I still can't make it work without modification.

From the first photo you can see there is nothing unusual with the underlying frame upon which the supports will rest. And you can see from the second and third photos (with and without the tupperware) how sloped the mounting plate is using the original supports.

So, the first thing I tried to do was reduce the size of the front piece by about 1/4 inch to make it level. That actually worked fine except the front bolt provided with the kit was now too long (when screwed in it touched the frame before being fully tightened). The other minor problem is mounting the Bestem case plate was more challenging because there was less room under the support plate.

So I then decided to cut two of the rear supports about 1/4 inch longer (I happened to use some 1/2 copper pipe as a test). Again, I could make it level (see fourth photo) but that created yet another problem. The specialty bolts supplied for the two rear supports are a little too short ... and only catch about a turn or so of the threads.

So, I will probably go with the first option and just by a shorter front bolt. Or, maybe build three new supports about 1/8 in shorter than what's currently installed.

But what's driving me crazy is why it isn't working for my 650, when it seems to work for everyone else.;) Guess I'll just have to be crazy.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
For LeDude ... I've been through your instructions many many times (greatly appreciated for sure). Obviously your first install was long before Bestem created a mounting plate that fits both the 400/650 (at your urging) but the principles are the same. I'm curious why you chose to put spacers between the frame plate you built and the Bestem mounting plate. I'm guessing it was just for bolt clearance, but not sure..
I worked with the guys at bestem on the support plate, and it works as well as any home made solution.

I wanted some clearance between the support plate and the 929 base plate as I am running some wires between the two, plus I wanted some clearance between them.

judging from your picture, your rear spacer is longer than it should be thus tilting the plate a bit too much forward.

at this point I would go to a hardware store and buy some aluminum tubing and cut the spacers to size, that should solve your leveling problem.
maybe they made a mistake when they packaged everything.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for everyone's help. Not sure if there is something different with the 2012 650, but ultimately, I cut the two rear spacers (the ones closest to the taillight) at 1 13/16" and the single front spacer at 1 15/16". I couldn't go any longer with the two rear spacers, without getting longer bolts, and I couldn't go any shorter on the front spacer without getting a new, shorter bolt. And within about 1/16 of an inch front to back, it's level. That's as close as I can cut tubing.

The spacers I got from Bestem were cut to the right length (1 5/8 for the two rear spacers, 2 1/4 for the single front spacer). No clue why they didn't work for me, but I guess it doesn't much matter. I've got it working now.

Now I've got to do the electrical. Life is good!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Oddly I had the same issue on my 2012 Exec as you did and I tumbled to the same solution using the washers. My base plate has just a hint of a lean to the rear. And really I'm the only one who has ever noticed so it's no big deal.

late,
Coz

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My guess is the frame under the tupperwear upon which the spacers rest must be a bit different in the 2012 executive. The picture I took of that wasn't really good enough to show the differences (nor to compare it against another model), but there must be some.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For those interested ... I'm not sure exactly how or why they even knew about my problem (I assume because of this thread), but I received an e-mail from Bestem last night, asking me for details on the problem I encountered. I didn't file a complaint with them, nor did I intend to, but apparently through this thread, they found out I had a problem and initiated contact with me. To me, that says something very positive about the company.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Never complained to Bestem about my mounting plate kit either. I ended up using washers to level mine and bought new bolts to get the bolt length correct for my bike. Cost me all of about 2 bucks and a trip to Lowes for the hardware.

Doug

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For what it's worth, I finally settled on cutting the rear spacer Bestem provided so that it was 1/8 inch taller than the front two spacers they provided, and then cut 1/4 inch off the front spacer mounting bolt so that it wasn't too long.

Below are pictures of how I wired it. I wanted the top light to be a brake light, and the row of LED lights to work both as running lights and brake lights.

So, using Bestems quick disconnect harness (I didn't make my own), I hooked up the red and yellow wires from Bestem's harness to the white / black wire on the left rear taillight (brake lights). I hooked up the green wire from Bestem's harness to the gray wire on the right rear taillight (running lights), and I hooked up the black wire from Bestem's harness to the black / white wire on the right rear taillight (ground). Of course, per all your recommendations, I used positaps to connect.

The pictures show how I tapped into the right rear brake light. Then, how I routed the wire, with the tupperware off, under the frame pieces and off to the side of the seat lock, and then ultimately how it connects to the case with the quick disconnect. One of many ways I'm sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry ... made an editorial mistake. All electrical connections were to the right rear taillight. Just wanted to clarify.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts