Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For folks that have experience with full face and/or modular helmets, what in your experience is the helmet with the best ventilation out there? Particularly when running at highway speed with the visor fully down? Or is that a contradiction in terms? I've had several different brands over the years and never found one that I could really feel much of any breeze in the helmet. I'm willing to put up with more noise if I could get a helmet with better ventilation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have tried many many helmets over the last few years.

The best Full Face helmet ventilation I have had was with the bell star.

The best Modulars would be the Nolan N104 or the RPHA-MAX (HJC).

I have the RPHA MAX and it is a great modular. Very light weight and flows a lot of air from the top vent. I can feel my hair moving in the wind :) Noise isn't bad at all but I wear ear plugs anyway.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I'm running a HJC, even though it says you shouldn't, you can remove the liner on the earmuffs as it has a removable liner that can be washed.. The helmet may have too much play (not safe)

I say this without trying to offend anybody, but you need to start with the windscreen in the summer, sacrificing skull safety for breeze is not the way to go. Try removing the windscreen During July and August, it's a pain I know, i've decided to leave mine on and just sweat it out.

There's only one thing I do to cheat and it's not healthy. I remove the earmuffs liner in the helmet which allows for lots of airflow around the head,ears and back out through the vents.

Be careful out there men!!!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
The next helmet I plan on buying is the LS2 FF386. It is suppose to have good ventilation. I personally ride with the visor up one click except on cold days{few here}. My current helmet is a Caberg Trip that I ordered from the UK{Caberg stopped selling in the USA}. It is a great helmet although the venting isn't the best. Very well built and has served me well for almost 5 years of daily use.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have found that Dual-Sport helmets give pretty good ventilation. I was really surprised when I bought my first one. I had never actually felt a breeze through a helmet with the face shield down before.

Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doug,
Do you a have specific model to recommend? Is there any down side to using a dual sport helmet? CB

·
Registered
104 Posts
HAWK ST-1198 from leatherup.com

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Unusually - I bought the Shoei Neotech because it had the best ventilation.
It was unusual because hitherto I would not have considered what is a ridiculous about of money for a helmet.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm using the latest version Shoei RF-1200, also for ridiculous money. Ventilation is very good (not perfect but better than my last KBC Force RR, Arai Quantum, or Nolan N102). But wind noise is also increased too much with vents open versus closed. I wear ear plugs but it is still noticeable.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
I'm using the latest version Shoei RF-1200, also for ridiculous money. Ventilation is very good (not perfect but better than my last KBC Force RR, Arai Quantum, or Nolan N102). But wind noise is also increased too much with vents open versus closed. I wear ear plugs but it is still noticeable.
+1 with my neotec you can feel the air moving through but it's noisy

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
I bought a Lazer Monaco Carbon helmet a couple of months ago, and it vents better than any other helmet I've tried (Shoei Qwest & Neotec, Schuberth C3, Nolan N104). The ventilation is excellent even on very hot days. It has some interesting venting that blows air at your temple area. I did remove the under-chin curtain. Two big pluses also are the Transitions face shield and the 3 1/2 pound weight, the lightest modular helmet. It's a bit noisier than my Nolan N104 that's now reserved for cooler weather, but earplugs solve that issue. It has a smallish shell -- nice for stowing under the seat, but also small overall. I had to go with an XXL vs. my normal XL. My Sena BT speakers barely fit and someone with big ears would find this helmet uncomfortable.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I say this without trying to offend anybody, but you need to start with the windscreen in the summer, sacrificing skull safety for breeze is not the way to go. Try removing the windscreen During July and August, it's a pain I know, i've decided to leave mine on and just sweat it out.
It might even be worth getting a spare (used might even be preferable) windscreen and cutting it down most of the way (just enough to clear the upper mounting points on a 650, with a little extra so it doesn't look too odd -- on a 400, keep it even with the dashboard or use the stock one from the S model.) Haven't resorted to this yet, as the weather here doesn't really call for it.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Gmax G54 has the most vents and seemly the most air flow of any Full Face I've tried.
Cheap too!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Webbikeworld has a lot of good helmet reviews on it, and they sort them by head shape as well.

I'm wearing an Arai, so I'm not averse to spending a large amount of cash for a helmet. I justify it by riding darned near every day from the end of March through November, and that I can get a really good fit - I have a really long & narrow head that doesn't work for the majority of 'round' helmets.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Doug,
Do you a have specific model to recommend? Is there any down side to using a dual sport helmet? CB
Sorry for being so slow to answer. Had to take my wife out of town to a medical appt.

I wear an AFX FX-39. It was the best reviewed dual-sport helmet back when I bought it. A nice thing with it is that you can take the bill off of it if you find that the bill is catching the wind too much (I never have had that problem). The helmet is DOT rated for street as well as offroad. Very comfy in my experience. It is a noisy helmet. I got mine for less than $150.

Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Love me Shoei Neotec, good ventilation, quiet for modular, so very well made and confortable, not mind spending good money for extreme confort and for protect only head one have.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have the GMax 54s which I really like, it's the only helmet that I've found so far that makes the buffeting and noise from the awkward V-Strom windshield bearable! However, although it has a ton of vents I don't feel any breeze or cooling effect anywhere on my head while wearing it but I still highly recommend it as a good, quiet, reasonably priced helmet. And I also love the rear brake light/flasher option.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts