Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got my 600 mile service completed on my burgman 650. The dealer used regular Dino oil.

I know the transmission is the most likely part of the bike to develop issues or failure. So, is synthetic oil better for lubrication of the transmission?

I know many here use Rotella 15W-40 Triple T diesel oil or valvoline 10w-40 motorcycle oil as both are very cost effective choices. But, would a synthetic prolong the time needed for a transmission fluid change?

Changing the motor oil is easy. Changing the transmission and gear oil is much more of a pain. So, would the use of synthetic fluids in these areas allow a longer interval between changes?

Would I need to be concerned about any communication between the rotella Dino oil and the synthetic Mobil motorcycle oil for the transmission?

Would lubrication with synthetic oil be superior for the burger cvt tranny?

·
Registered
704 Posts
The Burgman 650 CVT uses NO oil. The tranny is two simple gears intermeshing. If the oil is good enough for the engine which stresses it much more why would the tranny require better, more expensive oil?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's easy to change the motor oil and filter on my 2013 650. The transmission fluid is much more difficult. If synthetic oil could lengthen the interval of changing the fluid by just 2,000 miles it would be worth it. I'm thinking using synthetic oil for the transmission and gear oil would allow a longer interval between Changes.

Ledude mentioned on his video that the it is possible for the motor oil to spill over to the transmission oil. This concerns me because if I use rotella 15w-40 for the motor oil I wouldn't want that in the transmission.

I'm curious as to why certain people use fully synthetic fluids for the transmission and gear oil.

I'm not looking to start another motor oil discussion. I've read at least 6 of those and understand the issues. Rather, what would be the major advantages of fully synthetic fluid for the transmission and gear oil

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
You could try Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75W-90
http://www.salube.co.za/downloads/tds/syntrans-multivehicle-75w-90.pdf

Advantages
Excellent synchroniser performance giving extended synchroniser life and shift comfort.
Exceptional cold flow properties giving smoother gear shift at low temperatures.
High shear stability giving a constant viscosity during oil life and noise reduction.
Excellent thermal and oxidative stability for transmission cleanliness and longer oil life.
Temperature reduction in operation prolongs the life of lubricant and aids fuel efficiency

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Service manager recommended full synthetic for the transmission and customer's choice for Dino vs Synthetic for the motor. Those who change the oil and filter regularly only need the regular dino oil (Motorcycle oil or Rotella 15W-40). But, some people like to go longer on oil changes so he then recommended full synthetic (after 4,000 miles) so the Burg can have all fluids changed at the same interval per the manual.

It made sense. Synthetic Motor oil every 6,000-7,000 miles or regular oil every 3,000-4,000 miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts