Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to change brand of motor oil on my next oil change. I'm considering Amsoil 10-40 synthetic designed for scooter use. It seems to meet all Suzuki requirements. My bike currently has about 20,000 miles on it. Can anyone on this list give me advice why they would or would not recommend it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
200 people on this forum are thinking why didn't you use the "SEARCH BUTTON", and save use all from this dreaded topic.

John

·
Registered
753 Posts
I like oil threads myself. I have learned a bit from them and learning and sharing things are what this forum is about in my opinion.

Use the Amsoil if you like and be happy with your choice. I am currently running it for the first time in my GL1800 just to see if the MPG got any better (it did not) or if it shifts any better (nope here too) than other oils I have tried.

I believe that as long as you change the oil at least close to when Suzuki recommends that you change it your Burgman aint going to give a jaybird fart what kind of oil you use in it. Our engines are peppy but not particularly highly strung as far as modern day power plants go. Any good oil that meets the required JASO MA certification (no "starburst" symbol on the jug) you will be just fine. Very few 650 Suzuki Burgmans die an early death due to engine failure.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Only 200? ;)

Seriously Marv, this is one of those questions to which you will get as many answers as there are people who offer a response. The bottom line is that, if you use an oil type that's recommended by the manufacturer, you'll do ok. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Amsoil 10-40.

Changing it regularly is more important than the particular kind of oil you use. Just don't get anything older than an SF rated oil. Current rating is SN. Want to find out what those ratings mean? Check this link:

http://www.pqiamerica.com/apiserviceclass.htm

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
I just use Shell's dino oil 15w-40 and make an complete oil change with a new filter every 4k miles.

If you want synthetic oil, give Shell's 5w-40 full synthetic oil, works great and very affordable.

Chose the oil that best fits your maintenance budget and brings you the most piece of mind.

There are plenty of oil threads out there on a lot of forums from which you can draw all sorts of conclusions.

If you are still under OEM warranty, or extended warranty, use what Suzuki recommends just in case you have to file a claim.

good luck....

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
It should work fine as long it's compatible for wet clutches.

my belief is "Any in spec clean oil, is better than any in spec dirty oil"

·
Registered
243 Posts
Suzuki says to use their oil. It always amazes me that everyone is a better engineer than the guy who built it.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
But then Suzuki does not make their oil. It is just rebranded oil they buy from someone else. It may not even be from the same refiner from one year to the next.

·
Registered
753 Posts
But then Suzuki does not make their oil. It is just rebranded oil they buy from someone else. It may not even be from the same refiner from one year to the next.
Exactly. Several years ago Motorcycle Consumer News had petroleum engineers test many different kinds of oils. Some were motorcycle specific and some were just car oils such as Castrol GTX. I was almost flabbergasted when the Honda oil (which I had been using faithfully) tested worse than most of the other oils did. Good old car grade 20W-50 Mobil 1 beat them all. Needless to say I never bought another quart of Honda brand oil.

Lots of good oils out there but like you said, Suzuki doesn't have their own refineries making their oil. Probably get it from the lowest bidder. And I'm sure it is just fine too- just like dozens of other brands of oil are as well.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I have decided to change brand of motor oil on my next oil change. I'm considering Amsoil 10-40 synthetic designed for scooter use. It seems to meet all Suzuki requirements. My bike currently has about 20,000 miles on it. Can anyone on this list give me advice why they would or would not recommend it.
NO.............sorry............ bur I use stuff that comes in a plastic bottle and says - 10-40 on it............!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Suzuki says to use their oil. It always amazes me that everyone is a better engineer than the guy who built it.
AND.Honda says to use their oil - H/D says to use their oil and on and on..................ad nauseum.......

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I have Amsoil 10W40 for motorcycle oil in my 650. It is probably the best oil available but the only reason I used it is because the prior owner used it in it since it was new. I will probably go with Rotella next time because of the price. The engine on the 650 seems to outlast the rest of the scooter regardless of the brand of oil used. You just make sure it is suitable for wet clutches.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Best way to tell is to look to see if it is JASO MA rated.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I just knew there was a simple answer - thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
:scratch::scratch::scratch:

You couldn't possibly be talking about the same batch of genius Suzuki engineers who can't even figure out how to make an effin accurate speedo.

Ya. right! :rolleyes:

:):)

·
Registered
735 Posts
I'm using 0W-40 synthetic in my 650 K4 and my GF's 400 K6. It's the same viscosity as 10W-40 at (hot) operating temperature, but not as thick when cold. It should pump easier at engine-start and hopefully prevent a little bit of wear.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Try and use the same grade of oil that Suzuki recommends and make sure that it is JASO-MA rated, as Buffalo stated.
Any friction modifiers added to the oil can screw with your wet clutch.

I used Mobil 1 4T with no problems.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Ah another best oil question I just love to sit back & have my :happy1: :D

1 - 20 of 49 Posts