Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install a FM Radio sound system on my Burgman 650 :)
I have seen a few Shark audio system installations, but they all seem to say the FM radio is not very good.
I like to listen to the radio 99% of the time, so a good FM radio is a must!
Does anyone know which system has the best radio?

Thanks

Andy

·
Registered
297 Posts
Get a smartphone that has an FM radio built in (like the HTC Incredible2). This is what I have, and when I want to listen to FM radio, I put my ear plugs in my phone (which it uses as an antenna), and the reception is perfect. You can have TONS of preset stations, too.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I wanted a radio unit also. I went ahead and bought the Shark system about a month ago, installed it, and found the the sound of the radio always sounding slightly off frequency. I found a used iPod nano (5th gen) that has an FM radio in it, but it seemed to not pick up station very far from the transmitter. The two add on radios I've been researching are the Jensen HD910 and the CycleSounds Rockbox. The Jensen is weather-proof, a larger unit,a built in equaliser,switchable Euro or American AM frequency spread, and a speaker and line level output, as well as a 3.5 mm aux input. It also has a weather radio(works only in the US) and a true antenna connector. I've found it on eBay for about $150 but retail outlets are $175-$250. I couldn't find a lot of real info on the Rockbox, so I called the owner of the company. He told a whole lot of info,and here are some of the highlights: FM radio only((sorry if you want AM), time and temp display, tone and balance controls, able read music directly from the USB port and display limited info from that source as well as charge external USB toys(phones and such), an aux 3.5 mm input, a 3.5 mm output for your installed amp,weather-proof, and a smaller foot print.The owner also says that you can add an external antenna. The retail price is $299, but a web search found it for $244.50. Both radios have at least 12 presets to store your favorite stations.
The Rockbox has gotten rave reviews, so I've decided to go with the Rockbox, but will not get it until Christmas as a gift from my wife.

Dennis

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I use my Sony Walkman MP3 player for the tuner connected to the Shark audio system and it works just fine.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I use a Sony MP3 with FM through my 150 watt shark system. I can hear perfectly up to 80. :thumbup:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use my Sony Walkman MP3 player for the tuner connected to the Shark audio system and it works just fine.
I use a Sony MP3 with FM through my 150 watt shark system. I can hear perfectly up to 80. :thumbup:
That sounds like my best option, if the Shark radio is no good then I can plug another radio into the Aux socket
The shark Kit I want is the one that has the wired remote that I can mount onto the left handlebar plastic.
Here in the UK as well as FM we also have a thing called DAB Digital radio (Digital Audio Broadcasting) I might see if I can get a DAB radio to use with the Shark unit :)

Andy

·
Registered
661 Posts
I use the Shark 100W System with a Ipod type device with it's own FM receiver. I do have a cable from the ipod to the Shark amp that has a dial for volume though. I hook it up, stash the ipod in the pocket (with the volume all the way up) and adjust it as needed with the dial. It works pretty well!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Use a HD radio module with wired remote control plugged to a shark radio system.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Whats HD Radio ???? :?:
On this side of the pond we have something called DAB Radio, could that be the same thing?
I bit the bullet and ordered the Shark audio from the good ole US of A
Took two weeks to arrive and I had to pay £17 Import Tax :(
Hopefully the weather will be nice next weekend so I can get to fit it :D

Andy

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
I have a DAB radio at home and compared to FM, I have to say I am absolutely underwhelmed.

I dread the UK policy implemention of FM switch off because the UK DAB is a fundamentally flawed implementation.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Noticed! interference with FM -AM Band with the Headlights On, and Leds , Anybody have problems running the CD Player,

The antenna, is a must for are Burgmans, But needed is a Long antenna, for better Signal tolerances, Unfortunately we can't have it placed out to the side, But for Mountains, FM is useless, So
back up CD player or Mp3 is a good Backup to have for driving thru Mountians, Satalite Radio,

Gary L,

·
Registered
493 Posts
cactuspwr said:
Use a HD radio module with wired remote control plugged to a shark radio system.
HD radio = digital radio. With a better sound, the same radio station can now air many programs.

my radio receiver, the amplifier, FM booster are all under the seat to avoid interference with the CVT/transmission ( experience talks here ). I have a car antenna too. With the speakers on each side of the back seat, no noise at all, just pure music.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts