Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best type of battery: gel, anti gravity etc?
Also, what is the highest cca rating battery you can get? I've seen an anti gravity battery rated at 600 cca. It was over $300.00

·
Registered
1,468 Posts

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I have tried many moto Bateries and the only one I have ever been satisfied with was the Yuasa Batteries! All my Yuasa batteries have lasted 5+ years minimum! The last one went 8 years!!!
Shorai are good if you live in a warm climate or don't ride in temps below 40f degrees. The cold zaps the amps in the lithium batteries and some chargers will damage them beyond repair.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I have tried many moto Bateries and the only one I have ever been satisfied with was the Yuasa Batteries! All my Yuasa batteries have lasted 5+ years minimum! The last one went 8 years!!!
Shorai are good if you live in a warm climate or don't ride in temps below 40f degrees. The cold zaps the amps in the lithium batteries and some chargers will damage them beyond repair.
What he said , I bought an 05 with 8K on the clock a few months ago that had the Yuasa original battery in it . I had a new battery in stock so I replaced it , then I put the original on a battery tender and it's still fine and holding it's charge . Not cheap but they are good batteries . For the bikes I own that sit 99% of the time I buy the cheapest I can find for them and just keep them on a tender .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I agree that Yuasa Batteries usually are the best around. That said the last time I needed a new battery I bought a Yuasa Battery and to my surprise it died in a few months. When I returned the Yuasa to the dealer for full credit and got the Shorai for $25 plus the credit. I figured living in Florida it was worth a try. The coldest I've had to use it was 38º and it worked fine. I read the reviews in the link below and even though it does say in cold weather you need to warm the battery by either leaving the lights on for a bit or hitting the starter a couple times I didn't worry since I live in Florida. I'm happy with my purchase and glad I bought it. But I can understand someone living in a colder climate having reservations buying one. The OP didn't say what part of the world they live in and I've had good luck so far so that's why I reconditioned the Shorai. If they would have said they lived in a cold climate I would've gave them a warning and the following link. I would like to hear from someone who lives in a cold climate that has used a Shorai battery because who knows how reliable the reviews are at the link below.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-battery/li-ion-motorcycle-battery/shorai-vs-ballistic-li-ion-motorcycle-battery.htm

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
This is what I bought two and a half years ago and so far I'm still happy with it.
http://shoraipower.com/batteries-c41
I bought a Shorai for Australia as my KLR sits for 9 months and every time I came back I needed a new battery ....this time it was fine and a 3 year warranty but it is $$. Heat kills the battery in tropical Australia.
I have a bit of concern as it failed to turn the bike after a bit of a dunking in a creek ( just splashed ) but then fired the second round.
For anyone in the warmth - it's good tech.

Yuasa generally last me 5 years in Ontario with a tender in winter.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I just ordered a $93.00 Yuasa battery for my 400 today. I hope I made a wise decision? They also had a cheap one for $55.00. Both have a one year warrantee.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
I replaced my wife's K9 650 and my Fatboy with BIG Crank batteries 2 years ago. They are made by Deka (Deka makes Harley OEM batteries) and cost about $80 with free shipping. On both bikes, the Big Crank turns the motor over noticeably faster than the stock battery. So far, I'm sold on Big Crank. Forgot to mention....I bought them from BatteryMart.com. JMO

1 - 8 of 8 Posts