Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So one week in and I have put 100 miles on my new scoot but a few things have stuck out to me that need to be addressed. The wind is killing me at highway speeds and the my horrible back needs a better back rest.

I did a bunch of searches and decided to go with the https://bestbackrests.com backrest. I personally thinks it’s a bit ugly but for 145 shipped the price is right. Has anyone had any recent experience with this guy?

I also plan to order the Clearview XL next week with vent to hopefully address the thrashing I am taking at 70mph on interstate 95.

Other than that it’s been awesome riding again and can’t wait to start adding the accessories. If you know of a better wind screen let me know as I haven’t ordered that just yet. I am 6”2 for reference.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I have a bestbackrest on my 400. It works well for me as I'm tall and needed the maximum room for my legs. I can move it back where my butt just touches the vertical part of the seat. It can also be moved forward. The backrest is basically a car headrest that he has bent and modified to fit the Burgman. It is not necessarily beautiful work but it looks ok on the bike. The one I got was angled too far forward for my taste so I had to bend it further back. It was a real b!tch to do that but finally got it comfortable for me. (Can offer suggestions if anyone is interested.) I don't see why he couldn't bend it more before sending it if you wanted. Also, I didn't care for the look of the pipe insulation on the posts, so I spiral wrapped mine with vinyl electrical tape which I think looks better.

If you don't need the extra legroom and haven't already ordered, you might want to check out the Utopia. It looks nicer and is also adjustable, which is a big plus. You do lose adjustability of the buttrest as it has to be in the fully back position. I love the one I have on my Helix.

https://www.utpr.com/burgman.html

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have both and I really like the Clearview windshield, however, in my opinion, the workmanship on the backrest is a bit shoddy. If I had to do it over again, I would probably bite the bullet and go with a Utopia backrest. I had them on all my Goldwings. The only downside to them is that you have to make a cut in the seat. (Not for the faint of heart). :)

Just my $0.02 worth;
Gord

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Yes, making that cut on my perfect Helix seat was a little like attempting surgery on yourself...had to kind of grit my teeth and just do it. They do supply a little stick-on piece to dress it up, and was worth it in the end.

Reactions: va3twt

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just got my bestbackrest today, biggest problem was finding the small screws to remove old butt rest. I love the extra leg room and more seat for your bum, it could use a little more bling. The gray pipe covers need to be upgraded. I also had to cut the tube length to get the backrest all the way back, no big deal. Overall I'm happy and will order one for my 650.

·
Registered
34 Posts
While we're on the subject of backrests, does anybody have any strong opinions about the 3brothers or ezntexas backrests listed on ebay for a 400?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While we're on the subject of backrests, does anybody have any strong opinions about the 3brothers or ezntexas backrests listed on ebay for a 400?
I strongly considered the 3brothers extension but I found so many complaints about the owner treating people poorly and not honoring refund requests. He even called one member a thief and hung up on him. I decided it wasn't worth it to find out if his reputation is accurate.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I tried a Laminar Lip on my first (06) 650, and it worked pretty good. I am 6'0" and look over the shield. What it does is smooth out the air that flows over your head. Cheaper than a new sheild too. If you do need/ want a new shield, Clearviews are real nice.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I tried this one from 3brothers:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-Burgman-400-03-16-MEGA-LEGROOM-replacement-bracket-Driver-Backrest-seat/254300949672?hash=item3b35848ca8:g:5sIAAOSwI~NZjgIl

It was a well-made, heavy-duty bracket, but like the bestbackrest, I found the top tilted forward a little more than I liked. May have been able to shim it a little bit here or there but there's no adjustment since the plate is welded to the sliding rods. I stayed with the bestbackrest since I was ultimately able to adjust it to my liking and it gives support higher up on my back. Comparing the two right out of the box I probably would give the edge to the 3brothers, plus it keeps the stock look. I had no problems with attitude or customer service.

·
Super Moderator
2,365 Posts
I had a three brothers on my 2006.
From a driver's perspective it worked well; albeit I did feel that plywood was not a spectacular choice for an all weather item. No issues with it, mostly just offended my aesthetics a bit.
From a passengers perspective it gave the back more of a wedged in cockpit feel. I had some concerns about the passenger's ability to move and such if necessary but my SO didn't mind it, even seemed to like it.

I suspect the ezentexas would have that same effect since it's still using the Suzuki butt stop.

I'm kinda looking at those again myself, just don't like their summer prices.

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
I suspect the ezentexas would have that same effect since it's still using the Suzuki butt stop.

I'm kinda looking at those again myself, just don't like their summer prices.
I just checked today ezentexas is having a sale at $69 plus $13 shipping .

Since you are a moderator how about seeking a Group Buy .....I’m in for one.

I emailed them a month ago to inquire if they had a YouTube Install Vid but they said it’s so simple they didn’t.

This was a reply to my EBay Question for the Seller :

Sorry, we never bothered to make a video due to the installation is so simple. It does come with illustrated instructions however. Installation should take no more than 30 minutes (we do installations at rallies in 20) but of course we've done it a time or two LOL.
Yes, we can ship to your mechanic (if you send specific instructions to do so).

You are welcome to call me in Austin at 512-771-1910 Mon-Fri 11:00 am - 7:00 pm.
Jac

·
Super Moderator
2,365 Posts
Good to know about the sale.
Saw 'em about 10 bucks cheaper than that over the winter, so I'm wondering if they'll drop 'em again.
I have no idea how to setup a group buy, but doing so sounds like a headache, so I'm not the one....not even for double what they pay me to be a mod.

Installation on those. I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. It should be a couple set screws far as I can tell.
I think I can handle that without a video, possibly without pics even.

I just checked today ezentexas is having a sale at $69 plus $13 shipping .

Since you are a moderator how about seeking a Group Buy .....I’m in for one.

I emailed them a month ago to inquire if they had a YouTube Install Vid but they said it’s so simple they didn’t.

This was a reply to my EBay Question for the Seller :

Sorry, we never bothered to make a video due to the installation is so simple. It does come with illustrated instructions however. Installation should take no more than 30 minutes (we do installations at rallies in 20) but of course we've done it a time or two LOL.
Yes, we can ship to your mechanic (if you send specific instructions to do so).

You are welcome to call me in Austin at 512-771-1910 Mon-Fri 11:00 am - 7:00 pm.
Jac

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
The 3brothers I got a couple months ago was solid steel that bolted directly to the existing buttrest. Maybe different because it was the max legroom version? Or maybe they changed the design?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I got the backrest in and I am pleasantly surprised. I haven’t had a ton of time with it but so far I noticed a dramatic increase in support and comfort. My back would start burning after 10 minutes now I went 20 with no pain.

Attachments

·
Registered
694 Posts

I had the 3Brothers backrest extension and did not care for it. It was well made and easy enough to install, but the buttrest is not a good shape for a backrest. I found myself reclining ever so slightly and the result was to put too much weight on my tailbone and not enough on my butt cheeks. After a while I found the discomfort in my tailbone intolerable. I eventually removed it and went another route. (The backrest that comes on a Corbin seat is awesome, BTW.)

I suspect that this problem is dependent upon one's individual anatomy, so I can only speak to my own experience. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
89 Posts
So I got the backrest in and I am pleasantly surprised. I haven’t had a ton of time with it but so far I noticed a dramatic increase in support and comfort. My back would start burning after 10 minutes now I went 20 with no pain.

That looks nice. Can you move it back and forward like the original backrest?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
That looks nice. Can you move it back and forward like the original backrest?
I have one so I'll butt in and answer...there is some adjustment, but maybe not as much as the original buttrest and the oem adjustment mechanism does not function. It comes with (I believe) three different short lengths of plastic pipe (painted black) you slip over the rods to basically shim it out further. I suppose if one were clever, slots could be cut in the tubing where you wanted it so you could use the oem adjuster. This would have the added benefit of locking it in place, if you were worried about someone swiping it.

Reactions: Tonio50

·
Registered
4 Posts
I received my "Best Backrest" on Thursday. I'm just shy of 6 feet and getting rid of the "Butt Bumper" was what was needed for my legs. I can relax my legs when extended to the cruiser position. I didn't use any of the spacers included in the bag. I have the backrest in the full back position and that is where it will stay. I did move the grips back a titch and that seems to help also. I ran errands on Friday and Saturday and I didn't develop any ache in my shoulders or lower back. My wife can still use the back seat.

I did drill a hole to reattach the removal-prevention-screw. The instructions say to use the toolkit screwdriver, but I had my own Japanese Phillips. There is a difference between the American Phillips and the Japanese Phillips. I discovered this after dealing with the 30 fairing screws on the Concours.

And in the great minds think alike, I just ordered the Clearview XL w/vent. After comparing the Givi and Puig and Clearview, it seemed to be the one for me to get. I'm expecting I'll be able to look above the edge when the windscreen is in the down position and through it when it is in the up position. Which means I'll need to be more diligent in the removal of bug carcasses now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What does everyone do with the OEM backrest? I cannot find any for 2016 650 Ex. If you throw them away....send me one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a bestbackrest on my 400. It works well for me as I'm tall and needed the maximum room for my legs. I can move it back where my butt just touches the vertical part of the seat. It can also be moved forward. The backrest is basically a car headrest that he has bent and modified to fit the Burgman. It is not necessarily beautiful work but it looks ok on the bike. The one I got was angled too far forward for my taste so I had to bend it further back. It was a real b!tch to do that but finally got it comfortable for me. (Can offer suggestions if anyone is interested.) I don't see why he couldn't bend it more before sending it if you wanted. Also, I didn't care for the look of the pipe insulation on the posts, so I spiral wrapped mine with vinyl electrical tape which I think looks better.

If you don't need the extra legroom and haven't already ordered, you might want to check out the Utopia. It looks nicer and is also adjustable, which is a big plus. You do lose adjustability of the buttrest as it has to be in the fully back position. I love the one I have on my Helix.

Utopia Products - Motorcycle Driver Backrest - Motorcycle Seat
Utopia backrests are the best .......very very comfortable and adjustable. i had one on my 400 and ordered one for my 2017 B650 which should be here any time now

1 - 20 of 24 Posts