Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of joinning the crowd of those using a drivers backrest and not wanting to experiment, wondering which might be the best. Feedback appreciated.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Bearcat's is the best. Many, many excellent reviews on it. I've had one for a couple of years and think it is great. He has good service, fairly inexpensive product and very easy to install. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
When you come back to Louisville, I would stop by and let you try mine. I would be hoping its soon to get that Givi as the stock windshield stinks...

·
Administrator
18,331 Posts
There will be so many different answers as there are backrests out there.

I will not bash the others but I have a BearCat backrest and it is excelent for me. Brad uses a secret stash of Isuzu head rests and forms the legs to fit into your seats two Buttstop's holes.The color matches the seat fine. It looks almost like it was OEM, with a bit of vinel to cover the two holes somewhat and it would look OEM. From the back as I am riding it, I have been told it is very nice looking. I am 5' 7" and 31" inseam so it sets my knees back from the lower dash about 5 inches but my arms lay right on the handelbar grips. The only thing I do not like is it is not adjustable, but most others are not also. Cary at www.burgmanbrothers.com has new seat covers for them too. Its only money.

Please do not start a "bash the others backrest". Let him know what you like about your brand

·
Registered
739 Posts
Dave_J said:
There will be so many different answers as there are backrests.....
I am considering Bearcat's mod.. very strongly... Ichecked the two Phillips head screws out on the bottom of the seat that have to be removed (big mothers..) but wonder.. when you reove the OEM bitt support, and stick the legs of the BearCat back rest int the holes, whay holds it in place? Can you just pull it out , or is there a set screw or something to keep it solid?

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
I like the one on the Corbin seat but of course you also have to buy the Corbin to mount it on. :banghead:

Seriously as Dave said you will get as many answers as their are backrest and all of them will just be what worked for that individual which doesn't assure they will work for you. If you can find someone that has one you can test sit that is the best way to figure out what is comfortable for you.

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Many have made their own back rests using the Rodeo head rest. Most are vinyl and not black but are easily dyed using vinyl dye. I have one that I made that is covered in leather but those are harder to find as very few Rodeos came with the leather interior. I had to dye it using leather dye. The cost of the head rest is usually $10-15 at a salvage yard. I found that I had to use my gas welding rig and large vise to properly bend the two shafts coming out of the head rest. Process took less than 15 minutes to accomplish. I also had to glue 2 pieces of 1/2" cpvc on the head rest shafts to make the head rest fit tightly. To answer the question about it locking in place is NO as it can be pulled out. It would probably be easily made to lock in place but I have not found it necessary.

·
Administrator
18,331 Posts
As Ken said, it does not lock in place and anyone can come by and pull it out. But I would pose the question, WHO would know? If you are parking in high vandelisem areas, I would be worrying they would steal or vandelize other items too.

But I guess that you could measure the PVC pipes that Ken said he had to slide on the steel bars, cut a notch, just like the butt stop has on its steel bars, on both PVC pipes and it would slide in till it clicked and it would not move in or out. Buttabing!

·
Registered
806 Posts
candoman said:
I'm thinking of joining the crowd of those using a drivers backrest and not wanting to experiment, wondering which might be the best. Feedback appreciated.
I tried the Bearcat backrest and ended up selling it in the classified. It looked good and was made well but the two rods supporting it would hit me in the lower back. I then purchased a Utopia backrest which is fully adjustable and was very happy with it, It was very comfortable but a little pricey. When I traded my 09 650 in on a 2012 I hated to have to let it go. The first accessory I bought for the new bike was another Utopia backrest.

·
Premium Member
2,771 Posts
Jac Vinson was on my first Burgman for 7 years-the scooter died so with my new scooter have a Corbin seat with a Corbin backrest. Corbin is higher up and very comfortable. JC

·
Registered
739 Posts
Marv said:
candoman said:
I'm thinking of joining the crowd of those using a drivers backrest and not wanting to experiment, wondering which might be the best. Feedback appreciated.
I tried the Bearcat backrest and ended up selling it in the classified. It looked good and was made well but the two rods supporting it would hit me in the lower back. I then purchased a Utopia backrest which is fully adjustable and was very happy with it, It was very comfortable but a little pricey. When I traded my 09 650 in on a 2012 I hated to have to let it go. The first accessory I bought for the new bike was another Utopia backrest.
I justy went to the Utopia site... cutting vinyl, drilling & cutting holes.. makes me nervous.. How hard is it to install?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I enjoy the Corbin backrest. It's in my profile picture.It's great for hot weather riding here in Florida. It's not a solid piece( donut shape)therefore I sweat less. It just works perfectly for me. Like others have said, it's a personnel preference. What is perfect for me may be the worst for you. If you have members close to you, hook up and try some different setups.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Another vote on the Bearcat.

When I bought mine, it had the Utopia backrest; but the butt-stop pushed me too far forward. Comfortable on first sit, it got old and crampy after an hour or so.

The Bearcat backrest fixed all...****, it's all-around comfortable, roomy, supportive...

If you disagree, I can sell you my Utopia backrest, complete with butt-stop...

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I too have a Bearcat backrest and have added a Putnam blow-up cushion for a very comfortable set-up. Kenp

·
Registered
806 Posts
[I justy went to the Utopia site... cutting vinyl, drilling & cutting holes.. makes me nervous.. How hard is it to install?[/quote]

I had the same thoughts. I studied the directions and decided to let my expert mechanic install it for me. He did a good job.

·
Registered
677 Posts
peelbrow said:
I too have a Bearcat backrest and have added a Putnam blow-up cushion for a very comfortable set-up. Kenp
VERY nice idea, Ken. I bet you could drape one of the cheapie automotive bead seats over top and also attach it to the Isuzu backrest.

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
cheap0 said:
peelbrow said:
VERY nice idea, Ken. I bet you could drape one of the cheapie automotive bead seats over top and also attach it to the Isuzu backrest.
I think idea goes to Kenp and not me (Ken). The Bearcat backrest is the Isuzu Rodeo head restraint. Someone said the 2 rods hit them in the back but I have very tight bends in mine and they don't touch me. I am using the original AirHawk medium cushion and getting a very comfortable ride without anything over the backrest. :thumbup:

·
Registered
573 Posts
If you are nervous about the cutting of your OEM seat for the Utopia backrest, so was I. But it was not hard and only took about 30 minutes. I love my Utopia! But there is a lot of positive feedback on Bearcat's back rest. If you got his, there is no modifications needed. Put your buttrest away until you know how you like the Bearcat backrest. If it doesn't work you can sell the Bearcat backrest in the classifieds here and then try something else. I tried the Jac Vinson first, but it didn't work for me. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
677 Posts
cheap0 said:
peelbrow said:
VERY nice idea, Ken. I bet you could drape one of the cheapie automotive bead seats over top and also attach it to the Isuzu backrest
Ken said:
I think idea goes to Kenp and not me (Ken). The Bearcat backrest is the Isuzu Rodeo head restraint.
Right. I just figured "Kenp" was probably a "Ken" also. :) And I am familiar with Bearcat's backrest. I wonder how he has found so many Isuzus (or is the plural "Isuzi"?) to pilfer? :) :dontknow:

To add (?) a bit of possibly topical information to the thread, my backrest is a Vinson clone with a hinge. This makes it better for a passenger to mount/dismount, as it can fold forward with the fat old driver out of the way, and it falls back into place whenever I'm seated. I'm not sure where you could buy such a thing (I got mine secondhand through the Classified forum), but someone halfway competent with welding and metallurgy should have no trouble adding a hinge to the Vinson extension upright.

Kenp/peelbrow's pillow idea might cause me to consider a Bearcat backrest in the future, if there are any Isuzi remaining in the wild at that time. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
I think that head restraint is also used on other Asian vehicles. I have been told that one of the Honda vehicles uses the very same one but I don't know that for sure. Each Rodeo has 4 of them and when I bought mine about 4 years ago most salvage yards had plenty since the Rodeo vehicle had a roll-over problem. A friend had no problem finding one about 2 years ago.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts