Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be taking a motorcylce safety class soon and I am considering purchasing a scooter. I am not sure if I really want a full fledged motorcycle with all the shifting. I am more interested in a comfortable ride and concentrating on the road. I am looking at the Honda 582cc silverwing and the Bergman 650. I would appreciate some feedback on the advatages of the Bergman over the Honda. Any other information for someone just starting out would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

John

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
John,

Welcome to BurgmanUSA. As previously pointed out, there is a lot of information elsewhere in the forum. But I'll give you the two most important reasons that I'd choose the Burgman.

1. Build quality. The Honda Silverwing has suffered at least four recalls for safety related issues. The Burgman 650 has had no recalls.

2. Handling. In every magazine comparison test that I have read, the Burgman 650 handling as been described as far superior to that of the Silverwing. I can believe that, because on twisty roads my AN650 handles as nicely as any motorcycle I've owned - and better than most of them.

When I was purchasing mine, I looked them all over, read everything I could find - and I ranked them in this order.

1. Burgman 650
2. Burgman 400
3. Honda Silverwing

Note: Depending on the rider's physical size & intended usage, the 400 might be a more suitable choice.

In any event, I'd buy either Burgman over the Silverwing in a heartbeat. I have over 11,000 miles on my 650 now, and I am very satisfied with it.

As far as the super scooter vs motorcycle thing goes... I own an excellent "full fledged" motorcycle, which I bought a few months before I bought the scooter. I do enjoy riding it occasionally, but I ride the Burgman much more often. If I had to sell one - it would probably be the motorcycle.

·
Registered
103 Posts
quality

My answer to your question is, in a word, quality. Everything about the Suzuki is just made better than the Honda.

I was offered either for the same price at my dealer - both new 2004 models and I spent quite a while looking at them side-by-side. Most everything on the SW just seemed cheap and shoddy upon close inspection.

I will say this: from about 10 feet or more away, it was a much harder decision because both scoots are gorgeous! The "after-thought" mirrors on the SW were the main detraction from it's otherwise most pleasing countenance.

Hope that helps!

Al

·
Registered
65 Posts
John,

I test drove a wing and a 650. Try both a 70 mph and I think your question will be answered. Have no input on the 400 as I just sat on one at the dealership and then tried the 650 right next to it and again the decision was easy.

C

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
John

You really are asking the wrong people - they are great people - but they are a self selecting group.

After all what do you expect them to say - I test rode both, the Silverwing was best so I bought the BurgerKing? :roll:

So, you are not really going to get the answers you want here BUT I do know there is a silverwing forum in the UK http://www.silverwing.co.uk/forum/, (Edit - it is now defunct ISP problems and the forum owner now hs a TMAX!!)

For what it is worth - my take (and I own neither):

1. BurgerKing is heavier.
2. BurgerKing has arguably the better handling in the twisties
3. Burgerking has conventional brake controls (left back/right front).
4. Burgerking not available in North America with ABS (yet).
5. Burgerking has the bigger engine and probably the performance edge.
5. Silverwing has combination braking (left back+proportion of front, right front)
6. Silverwing (from 2002 I think) has ABS as standard.
7. They are both lardy arse machines - are you sure a 400 Burger does not suit your useage pattern?

Good luck in your quest.. please let us know how you proceed.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
NormanB wrote
You really are asking the wrong people - they are great people - but they are a self selecting group.
I would bet he knows that already, but has made up his mind and just wants conformation that he's as smart as he thinks he is :lol:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
NormanB said:
So does the Silverwing.

NormanB said:
The Honda USA site lists two models. One with ABS and one without. The msrp price difference is $500.

NormanB said:
7. They are both lardy arse machines - are you sure a 400 Burger does not suit your useage pattern?
This type of comment drives me nuts. I come from years of riding various motorcycles, and I find the AN650 very easy to handle. The center of gravity is very low, which makes the weight easy to handle in any riding situation. But, for the record, the dry weights listed in the specifications by Honda and Suzuki are thus:

Suzuki Burgman 650 - 524 lbs
Honda Silverwing - 487 lbs
Suzuki Burgman 400 - 405 lbs.

Note: The dry weight on my V-Strom is listed at 456 lbs, but it has a much higher center of gravity. The AN650 is easier to manage.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Herfnerd said:
Uhmm...... he DID say:

NormanB said:
For what it is worth - my take (and I own neither):
In other words, he's basically saying "in his own opinion"......
I know. I'm not hitting directly on NormanB. Just clarifying a couple of facts based on manufacturer data - and giving my own opinion on the weight issue.

We've got a couple of AN400 riders that tend to talk about the AN650 as though it were a dump truck. :roll: Most of us who ride it do not find the weight to be a major issue. I think it is important that a newcomer who is debating on what machine to purchase read that the weight can be an issue for some folks, but no issue whatsoever for others.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
pauljo said:
NormanB said:
So does the Silverwing.

NormanB said:
The Honda USA site lists two models. One with ABS and one without. The msrp price difference is $500.

NormanB said:
This type of comment drives me nuts. I come from years of riding various motorcycles, and I find the AN650 very easy to handle. The center of gravity is very low, which makes the weight easy to handle in any riding situation. But, for the record, the dry weights listed in the specifications by Honda and Suzuki are thus:

Suzuki Burgman 650 - 524 lbs
Honda Silverwing - 487 lbs
Suzuki Burgman 400 - 405 lbs.

Note: The dry weight on my V-Strom is listed at 456 lbs, but it has a much higher center of gravity. The AN650 is easier to manage.
Pauljo

Combination Brakes on the Silverwing?! - I do not know for sure - I thought they did - and read it here (amongst other places)

http://www.bikerland.co.uk/New Models 2001/Silver Wing.htm

ABS: Okay I stand corrected (I did say I think) - but it is available!

Lardy Arse Do not be so sensitive - my style is one of fun and teasing (you ain't figured that?) - However I maintain my question as to whether a 400 would not be suitable is valid - because it is less 'lardy arsed' ---- as shown by the figures you quoted. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Finally, I am always happy to be corrected on errors of fact.

Hang loose! :lol:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
NormanB said:
Combination Brakes on the Silverwing?! - I do not know for sure - I thought they did -
We are probably speaking the same language differently again. :?
The Silverwings do have linked brakes like the AN400. But your comment seemed to be addressing the handlebar controls, which are the same for the SW and the Burgmans. The Helix is the last surviving "foot brake" Honda.

NormanB said:
Lardy Arse Do not be so sensitive - my style is one of fun and teasing (you ain't figured that?) - However I maintain my question as to whether a 400 would not be suitable is valid - because it is less 'lardy arsed' ---- as shown by the figures you quoted. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess a long series of late night posts was wearing me down - we usually get along just fine. But even in the pub, an ill received taunt can gain one a poke in the eye ya know. 8) "Lardy Arse". Humph! :evil:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
pauljo said:
NormanB said:

I guess a long series of late night posts was wearing me down - we usually get along just fine. But even in the pub, an ill received taunt can gain one a poke in the eye ya know. 8) "Lardy Arse". Humph! :evil:
Group Hug :idea: :wink:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
pauljo said:
NormanB said:
Combination Brakes on the Silverwing?! - I do not know for sure - I thought they did -
The Silverwings do have linked brakes like the AN400. But your comment seemed to be addressing the handlebar controls, which are the same for the SW and the Burgmans. :
I read him to mean that the Burgman 650's handlebar controls are different than the Silverwing controls, which is correct because on the Burgman the left grip controls ONLY the rear brake, whereas on the Silverwing it controls combined front/rear.

I'm sure we all know what we are talking about, but I thought I'd clarify it for any newcomers out there.

Frankly, I like having a fully independent braking system. There are times when, under special circumstances, I might want to apply brakes to the rear wheel while keeping the front free.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Brian said:
pauljo said:
NormanB said:
The Silverwings do have linked brakes like the AN400. But your comment seemed to be addressing the handlebar controls, which are the same for the SW and the Burgmans. :
I read him to mean that the Burgman 650's handlebar controls are different than the Silverwing controls, which is correct because on the Burgman the left grip controls ONLY the rear brake, whereas on the Silverwing it controls combined front/rear.

I'm sure we all know what we are talking about, but I thought I'd clarify it for any newcomers out there.

Frankly, I like having a fully independent braking system. There are times when, under special circumstances, I might want to apply brakes to the rear wheel while keeping the front free.
Yip - that was what I was saying!
Thanks.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
pauljo said:
(But I'm still not letting you off on that "Lardy Arse" thing...) :evil:
:wink:
At least he was referring to the bike rather than you. :tongue:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
billmeek said:
pauljo said:
(But I'm still not letting you off on that "Lardy Arse" thing...) :evil:
:wink:
At least he was referring to the bike rather than you. :tongue:
Yeah - well I ain't seen him real close up - like in a pub (...................ducks and sneaks away quietly). :wink:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
pauljo said:
... All we needed was a translator! Thanks, Brian.
Ihay alsoyay eekspay Igpay Atinlay; ouldshay ouyay everhay eednay ahay anstraylatoryay. :D

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
1 - 20 of 55 Posts