Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ha Ha! Finally got my hands on one! 2004 Burgman 650 Black (with a hint of blue metal flake in the sun).

THE GOOD:

Comfort - Soooooo dreamy. Was good before I found the adjustable backrest, now it is like sitting on Unicorn dreams and puppies. My wife LOVES riding with me again. Oddly, she wasn't a fan of pillion riding on my Honda CBRF4i...

No Shifting - Shifting is for chumps. I have never been as smooth on a bike as on the Burgman. The tranny dumps it into neutral at 10mph - Odd at first, but quickly becomes a source of happiness.

Storage-O-Rama - Holey crap. Riding used to mean wearing a backpack & carrying your helmet. Those days are over. Plus, the seat has a shock absorber thingee to keep the seat up AND a light. If you think the light isn't handy, you'd be so wrong. Lots of other nooks to keep stuff too.

The Steering - Smacks of the new Honda Goldwings, but way more flickable! Leans over easily & carves right through. No suprises in the corners, just smooth & steady. Handles like a MUCH lighter bike, even at parking lot speeds - I only notice the weight when braking. Which leads me to...

The Brakes - Stops a lot of bike FAST! Not grabby or touchy & definately not underpowered. I MUCH prefer unlinked brakes without ABS, so I was a happy, happy camper.

The Instrumentation - Sweeping needles are for chumps too! The Burgman's LCD patch tells you everything you need to know - Even when to change the oil! Why doesn't every bike come with a gear indicator!?!

It is FAST - Burned a Harley & a few 4-cyl wunder cars at the Stoplight Summer Nationals already. Never even broke 4k rpm... Happily climbed to 80mph in short order - Huzzah!

THE BAD:

Windshield Cleanliness - No matter how I toil & try, I don't think I shall ever be able to get the windshield completely clean and streak free. %^@$^&*%!$^

The Color - Black is insanely hard to get to look pristine - Everything shoes if you look. Gotta get some trick graphics to catch the eye.

The Rear Fender - Why do Bikes come with these GIANT black plastic sails behind the rear tire. it is awful & hides what is going on back there. Bleh. It will be going soon...

The Dealer 'Service' - I got a decent deal, but the dealer seemed VERY interested on squeezing the life out of my wallet for Scheduled Maintenance. They said that they would be doing any warrentee work & if they didn't do the scheduled maintenance themselves, they would need documentation to be sure the work was done. Given the fact that they apperently couldn't be bothered with cleaning the bike or checking the tire pressure - I sure as hell won't let these fools change the oil. I made sure I checked all the fluids when I got home, just in case...

THE UPGRADES!!!

White Headlights (DONE!) - The headlights were plenty bright... Now they are plenty BRIGHTER! $10.00 from Midnightmoose.com for a pair of EagleLights (arrived in 3 days!!! Huzzah!). Undid 2 screws to remove the plastic splash guard (GREAT IDEA!!!) from the triple tree. Did it by feel from underneith, done in 15 minutes. So worth it.

Suzuki Passenger Backrest (COMING SOON!) - On order, looks pretty easy to install. Even more comfort for the missus. She is on Cloud 9.

Fender-ectomy (COMING SOON!) - Looks like a couple of bolts will get the deed done. License plate light may require some creativity to retain it's utility, no biggie. The giant, ugly, back fender has gots to go!!!

Protective Film for the Headlights (COMING SOON!) - 3M made a film to protect the leading edges of a propeller. It is tough, and crystal clear - I buy bulk sheets from xpel.com. It protected the uber-expensive headlight unit on my CBR for years. Rocks, bugs, UV - No match for this stuff! Takes patience to install, but your time is WELL rewarded with headlights that will last & look good indefinately.

Graphics (COMING SOON) - It just needs a little flair. Perhaps this will help me choke down the urge to have it repainted...

Have a Good One!

Sid sends

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Welcome, Sid! Sounds like you're having fun. It only gets better.
I got the Suzuki chrome trim for the fairing that replaces that black piece of plastic. Really looks great on my black 650.
I took the chrome BURGMAN 650 letters off my bike. Looks "cleaner" and it'll give ya more room for those graphics.
Don :D

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Welcomet to the BurgmanUSA forums Sid. Glad to have you join us. Great first post buy the way. The 3M protective film you're using for the headlights .... could it be used for the windshield too?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Welcome Sid

Hey Sid,
Welcome to the party.
I agree that the rear fender is extraneous and I also looked into removing mine. The fender is part of a piece that makes up the underside of the wheel well. A friend of mine Dremelled his off of his Daytona and he managed to get quite and clean cut so I think I'll do the same to the Burgy. That way you can cut around the plate mount and not have to rig something new.
Let us know how you plan to do it and post some photos too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Everyone! Thanks for the warm welcome! :D

Here are some miscellaneous answers & comments:

I took the chrome BURGMAN 650 letters off my bike. Looks "cleaner" and it'll give ya more room for those graphics.
How did you get 'em off? Are they held on with fasteners of some sort, double sided tape, or voodoo? I wonder if you can remove the '6' from '650' - Hee Hee! It sure is fast for 50ccs...

The 3M protective film you're using for the headlights .... could it be used for the windshield too?
While the film is clear, it is not optically correct. While it isn't noticable on the headlights at all, it would be pretty annoying on the windshield, methinks.

Where do you live and what do you do?
Space Coast of Florida, just south of Cocoa Beach. I also Kiteboard ( http://www.321kite.com ) and PPG ( http://www.usppa.org ) quite a bit.

I put some graphics on my bike as well http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/allwalk/burgfrontalflame Check out this website, for they have all kinds of high quality graphics that are easy to install. http://www.tapeworks.com/Thats were I got mine.
I gotta say, your Burg looks like it is ready for big pimp'n. The slightly darker flames were a great choice - Very chill without being gaudy. I don't think I could really achieve the same effect with my Burger's base color & my lackluster vinyl application skills :(

I think I am going to try some dual silver ghost stripes, and perhaps some flamage on the sides I may try the company whose link you supplied - These guys would be my other choice http://www.edecal.com

I agree that the rear fender is extraneous and I also looked into removing mine. The fender is part of a piece that makes up the underside of the wheel well. A friend of mine Dremelled his off of his Daytona and he managed to get quite and clean cut so I think I'll do the same to the Burgy. That way you can cut around the plate mount and not have to rig something new.
Let us know how you plan to do it and post some photos too.
If 'extraneous' is the word you use for 'butt-ugly' I agree! :D I took a quick look and it SEEMS like it may not need to be dremeled (I could be very wrong). It looks like a half dozen screws and it is off. However, I am no stranger to the dremelings, if it comes to that.

The license plate mount is NO problem to fabricate if need be. Quite a handy universal mount can be fabricated out of a post holder from Home Depot! If painted nicely, it looks (if you can see it at all) and works great. Many of these have replaced R6 brakets on my friend's rides. I have also had luck with small, 3" cold cathode tubes for license plate lighting (if need be). We shall see - I'll hope for easy, but I'm ready for uckiness.

Have a Good One!

Sid sends

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Hi Sid! The "chrome" letters are some kind of soft rubberish-plastic attached with tape. I just used a hair dryer to warm them up first. Then I used a fingernail under a corner to get one started and gently peeled them off. I had a couple tear as I pulled them off but it was no problem to get it started again. Just reapplied some heat and started peeling.
After I got them off I just used some polish over the area to remove any remaining adhesive and dirt. After you're finished, you'd never know they were there. :D
Don

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Don
I am in need of the chrome nos. 650 on one side of my Burgman, would you be willing to part with those numbers you took off your's.
Thanks Hal Williams aka zebott45 phone 810 743 1117 or [email protected]

·
Super Moderator
8,069 Posts
zebott45 said:
Hi Don
I am in need of the chrome nos. 650 on one side of my Burgman, would you be willing to part with those numbers you took off your's.
Thanks Hal Williams aka zebott45 phone 810 743 1117 or [email protected]
The date of the post (located at the top left of the post after his name)
was Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:48 pm. over 3 1/2 years ago.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts