Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was a little clumsy and in a hurry.....I unlocked the glovebox and left the key in there after I closed it back up....I was sitting on the bike on the centrestand...went to get off and hit the key with my knee, bending it some 20 degrees or so. :(

I straightened it out with pliers. To look at casually, it is 100% straight, but look very carefully or run your finger over it and there is a very small kink that you'll never get out. It goes in and out of the ignition very smoothly still, but I'm pretty sure I can detect a very small extra amount of resistance - as you might expect.

Should I just not worry about it, or is this gradually going to damage my ignition switch to the point of causing a problem? Am I the first person to have done this? :rolleyes: I have the key number, but I'm not sure I'm game to phone Suzuki and ask the price of a new one.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I'd order a blank key online and have a new one cut. It's not worth having it break off in the ignition

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2012 burgman. A good locksmith can get you a new keys but they will NOT have the locking plastic end, if you want to close the key cover. I got two extra for about $3 each and they work great.
I had Suzuki check out and you can order a blank key, but you cant get a key that has the Unique Hex on back to lock key cover. If you want those keys, you have to order a whole new ignition cover and new keys. About $140. I've chosen NOT to lock key cover, so I can always carry a spare with me in my wallet. I'm always afraid of locking key under the seat accidently.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
i've had a bent one and straighten so it works - but get spares

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I had Suzuki check out and you can order a blank key, but you cant get a key that has the Unique Hex on back to lock key cover.
I beg to differ with you. I have a 2014 Burgman 650 and wanted two extra keys. My Suzuki dealer was able to order them for me and they do have the full hex end just like the original keys. Now, I had to supply them with the code number from the little plate that comes with the original keys. The keys come blank then you take them to a good locksmith to have cut. Worked just fine. But the hex key blanks are a bit pricey at $40 CDN each. WOW!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
to key or not to key

I just, two weeks ago, had two spares made without the hex lock cover for $2.69 each

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Remembered I HAVE a spare genuine key!

Thank you, gentlemen. All good points, particularly the possibility of it eventually snapping off...that's an ugly thought.

In the midst of reading the replies I remembered I have a genuine spare...don't know why I didn't think of that. Possibly because I haven't looked at it since I tossed it into my sock drawer several years ago. I'll use that key, AND get several non-hex head keys cut.

I don't think I'm too likely to lock my keys in the trunk, although the possibility has crossed my mind before...I had a panicked moment at the supermarket where I THOUGHT I had done that.

Then there's simply losing the keys while out, swimming or some such, which I have never actually done before. A slim, non-hexhead key in the wallet is probably the next best thing to taping a key to the frame somewhere. I really don't see myself ever losing one, though.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I just, two weeks ago, had two spares made without the hex lock cover for $2.69 each
For the 2014 Burgman 650 sold in Canada, it comes with S.A.I.S. It stands for Suzuki Advanced Immobilizer System. The key has a chip in it that like many cars and can only be started with the correct key and not a copy. That's why you have to order the keys from Suzuki with the correct key code to order. You won't get those for $2.69!!!

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
I don't think I'm too likely to lock my keys in the trunk, although the possibility has crossed my mind before...I had a panicked moment at the supermarket where I THOUGHT I had done that.
This is exactly one of the reasons for doing the mod
emergency seat latch release.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Get any remaining kinks out of the key by placing it in a vise between 2 smooth metal blocks.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I got some Genuine spare blanks off Bike bandit, which came with the hex-heads, magnets, and a self-adhesive cover.
A bit of trial and error to get the magnet coding right before sticking the cover on, and good to go.

If I remember correctly, they cost me about $20 each...............and one of these days I need to get round to getting them cut, so I actually do have a second spare for each bike!

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
My key has been bent and straightened a number of times. Hasn't caused any problems with the ignition switch so far. The electrical part of the switch is likely to fail long before the lock portion the key goes into will.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
In the midst of reading the replies I remembered I have a genuine spare...don't know why I didn't think of that. Possibly because I haven't looked at it since I tossed it into my sock drawer several years ago. I'll use that key, AND get several non-hex head keys cut
You might have to chase a bit to get it cut as some cutters will not take that long a key and the new one will not go in quite far enough to work properly in all the locks.

·
Super Moderator
2,368 Posts
If you don't need the chip, I got a couple blanks with the hex off fleabay 20 bucks for from a guy in china. ~$7 each plus $7 shipping for the two I ordered
I used my original to dope out the magnets then applied the stickers. My local locksmith got them working for a few bucks each. No major drama.
I also did get a flat cut that lives in my wallet for a real omigawd emergency.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks

All good sugestions thanks. I think Buffalo makes a fair point...and one that involves doing, and spending, nothing. :rolleyes: I'm sure I've read of a replaced ignition switch (for electrical reasons) on this forum..and that is quite possibly the greater true concern...from my perspective anyway. Maybe that applies to every bike anyway, that doesn't have a newfangled, Ducati-style 'wireless key"...like all the new cars.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts