Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a low mileage 2004 Suzuki Burgman 400. It has less than 10,000 miles on it. The belt squeals a bit but not bad. I thought it would be best to have a spare belt, and a full set of OEM weighted rollers or sliders. I also wanted to source out a variator drive face as well. Drive belts are all over the place when it comes to Kevlar vs conventional belts. So, based on the fact that I have scoured the forum for over an hour searching for belt sizes and prices, I thought it best to throw the question out there for an answer. I have no history on e scooter.

Question is: what size is the 2004 Burgman CVT drive belt and where can I buy one. Does anyone know if Gates makes a replacement? Kevlar is good, but a conventional belt will do for now. Also, what is the OEM weight and size of the variator rollers? OR sliders? lastly, should I replace the variator deive face when I replace the belt and rollers?

If anyone can assist, thanks in advance.

Roger

·
I'm Retired
9,365 Posts
Roger32849 said:
...Also, what is the OEM weight and size of the variator rollers? OR sliders?
I can't tell you the OEM weights, but I would suggest that if you plan to replace them, use Dr. Pulley Sliding weights. They are the best performance upgrade for the money you'll spend.

Roger32849 said:
...lastly, should I replace the variator deive face when I replace the belt and rollers? Roger
I wouldn't worry about this. I was told that they only last about 29,000 miles when I first bought my 2007 400. I bought one to be prepared like you. When I sold that 400 at 49,000 miles, it was still good. My current 2008 400 has the same dark ring the first one had, but that's only visual, not a depression. Put a straight edge on it and you'll see what I mean. You'll have lots of forewarning to order a new one before you need it.

Chris

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chris

I appreciate the response, and the reassurance that Suzuki installed some very durable parts in their drive system. The CVT engages quite smoothly except for a slight squeal, it has great throttle response and I felt I should throttle back when I reached nearly 80 MPH, so top end is very acceptable. I honestly have no history of maintenance, nothing but the owners manual but there are no entries of oil changes, belt or roller maintenance... No nothing. I already changed the oil & filter but had to order the OEM air filter at the dealer. By ordering a belt, rollers and "possibly" a drive face, it would give me peace of mind when I ride out of my local area. There is nothing worse than to be on the side of the road with a mechanical problem that could have been prevented.

I would probably keep the old belt on the shelf along with the OEM rollers as a back up. So, I guess I still need a good source and size for the belt for my 2004 Burgman. I know Dr Pully makes a very good roller and slider. I tried to Google the belt size and couldn't come up with anything except a part number. A Gates replacement would be great.

Thanks
Roger

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
The Gates number as far as I can tell is 9802-41801 for the pre 2007 later ones are 9802-41813.

·
Registered
32 Posts
With no mention of rollers in the manual
:)confused:true?)
Please anyone provide
-Part number information (assuming replace like with like)
-Inspect/assess recommendations prior to Repair... vs.
-..Replacement interval
IOW Is it Preventative/Scheduled Maintenance or simply replace when have symptoms?,
And what do I tell my mechanic to do? Is it in the manual? thank you

2008 650 exec

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Beauty, the 650 does not have rollers like the 400 so you don't have to worry about them.

·
Registered
765 Posts
[I just got a low mileage 2004 Suzuki Burgman 400. It has less than 10,000 miles on it. The belt squeals a bit but not bad.]

My 2006 400 had 6671 miles on went I got it. It squealed a bit, more of a chirp, at first.

Went away completely after 1000 miles or so. Ride it aggressively BUT not wrecklessly,

(especially when accelerating), yours may go away as well.

Sirkitrider

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
If it only does it as you set off it's very unlikely to be the belt more likely the clutch.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
When I had mine apart, I cleaned everything with CRC Brak Clean. Spelled just like that. Leaves no residue, and stopped any and all squealing.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Home made rollers

I have replaced the CVT rollers for the 4th time on my K4. 400 but this time I have installed home made ones that are .30mm larger in diameter. ie. OEM size 26.0mm diameter to 26.28/26.31.mm
I purchased a stick of hard plastic and machined the rollers up to suit using the original steel core pressed in similar to the original.
This has given me a 5% increase in speed for the same revs. Yes, a slight lose in initial acceleration has been felt but that is of little concern. It has cost me excluding labour, a 1/10th of the cost compared to a new set of rollers.
The moveable alloy cvt cone is showing wear on the slide faces so I hope the extra diameter will bring the dimensions back to close to original or there abouts.!! To date, it has worked well. It is a high mileage bike (97k miles) and still goes like new. johnD

·
Registered
4 Posts
roger dude. take my advise seriously. dont use sliders on a burgman variator. if you need a fast take off yet high speed i would advise you to to use half light weight rollere and the other half heavy but allign them on after the other never install it facing each other. do this and you will be be a happpy person. i also advise you to stick to OEM belt also with a very very soft sand paper ( use water) you can simply sand the variator and remove edges off it and also it will become less heavier
just sand it slowly and follow a certain rythem and keep feeling the variator with your fingers to determin small bumps. also dont use hit clutches burgmans are tuff badd ass bikes we drive it over here in beirut and over here is.a nasty terrain lottsa hillls and traffic and heat. use motul 7100 4T full synthetic. use a NGK CR8IE PLATINUM SPAR PLUG replace your oil filter every 2 fills not every 1 fill i heard that back where you live bike mechanics are a ripp off. this is bad. just follow my advises about ur 400 you willl notice a drastic change with it. lottaa.power . final tip thank me later
when filling gaz put it on middle stand and once u see the gaz tank about to fill stop shake ur bike a little u willl notice that gaz drops down than fill again and keep repeating the same method till you stop noticing any drop downs in gaz. by doing this you are allowing more gaz into ur tank and kicking out air pockets. i own a type 3 suzuki skywave SS and i easily out run a 400 cc drag race and highways. just keep ur rear wheel on 38 psi and front on 32 or 34 and never ever listen to anyone ripp off dude where you live. so over here where i live burgmans are our second nature. we fix a lot of them. i agree that suzuk OEM parts are expensive but over here its cheap imagine a full 250 cc type 3 SS fuel injection engine with low mileage cost 750$ THATS IT

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Holy moly! I tried but I couldn't read it till the end... it's impossible!!

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have a new Gates Kevlar belt and a used variator with rollers in good shape for sale, as well as other numerous parts. Text me at 206-249-7159 or PM me if interested

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
All belts designed for the 400 Burgman (and most other "rubberband" drive CVTs) are "Kevlar®" belts--OEM, Gates and everyone else--they all use para-aramid (sometimes mislabeled poly-aramid) fiber in the belt's "backbone" as it is just about the only material that can stand up to the duty.

After market parts makers and vendors find it effective to highlight it as a "feature" because most users do not know better

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for posting info Buffalo. 2003 650 with 25k miles and I was looking for rollers (only saw one on ebay from tiwan). Found sliders. Looking for improvements for CVT as some people have had problems. I'm sure new belt wouldn't hurt as IDK what was done but was garage kept.

·
Administrator
18,749 Posts
Thanks for posting info Buffalo. 2003 650 with 25k miles and I was looking for rollers (only saw one on ebay from tiwan). Found sliders. Looking for improvements for CVT as some people have had problems. I'm sure new belt wouldn't hurt as IDK what was done but was garage kept.
Subvet, The 650 does NOT have a set of rollers or sliders like the smaller scooters. The 650 has a computer controlled CVT that used a small motor to turn the pulley in or out to change gear ratios.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts