Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are your thoughts on the best belt for this scoot? i tried a dayco, only lasted 10000 miles before exploding i currently have a bando now with 10000 miles and still looks and measures ok, is the mallosi better? the oem is pricey but will go with it if i need to, i ride average 100 miles a day on back roads and i ride sensibly.

·
Registered
512 Posts
With such daily mileage I doubt you will find better belt than OEM. Dayco and specially Bando are cheap craps. Malossi might be better, but there is no sence to save 30$ on Malossi vs Mitsuboshi

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I have a 2012, just wondering how many miles you got out of your original belt?
Coming from the snowmobile world, I would absolutely go with an OEM belt.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have a 2012, just wondering how many miles you got out of your original belt?
Coming from the snowmobile world, I would absolutely go with an OEM belt.
Not sure if this question was to me, but I will answer :smile

Per spec OEM belt should be changed every 24000 km; 25.1 mm - service limit, 24.1 - absolute replacable limit. For new belt width is somewhere around 26 mm, so belt should be replaced after 1 mm of wear

I personally replaced mine after 18000 km / 25.4 mm, I did it before 6000 km trip just to be safe. In real world OEM belt can last up to 40 000km, but it will not give you best performance if you ride highway speeds (you will have high rpms)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I wonder if I should replace mine before the trip. Now it has only 12000 km. Should be OK for another 6000km. But it is 4-5 years old... Hmm... Another expense . :(
To change or not to change. That is the quoestion...

·
Registered
512 Posts
I wonder if I should replace mine before the trip. Now it has only 12000 km. Should be OK for another 6000km. But it is 4-5 years old... Hmm... Another expense . :(
To change or not to change. That is the quoestion...
IMHO it should be fine. Also It won't be a problem to buy Malossi Kevlar in Italy.
What I did when I went to Finland, I replaced mine, but took old one with me just in case.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i got 19,000 out of the oem and 19,000 out of the 1st bando, but the oem still has some wear left in it, i am keeping it as a spare in case one breaks while i am riding, the first bando is at the low tolerance, the dayco exploded at 10,000 miles, i have a bando in now with about 10,000 miles on it and still doing good so am thinking of ordering either a malossi or the oem so i have it on hand when the time comes. i presently have 57,200 miles on this scooter and still original brakes, clutch and battery and sparkplug and it still runs like the day i brought i home i am 82 yrs old and am trying my darndest to wear this scooter out before i do, i am not sure i am going to be able to do it, but i am having a ball trying.

·
May have gone but will be missed
2,683 Posts
This is an interesting thread finding about the different belts. I've replaced my belt with OEM once, got 18,000 miles out of it and not quite worn out, saving it for a spare. Now I am at 18,000 miles on this OEM, will run it to 20,000 miles and put on a BANDO that I have hanging in the garage. I'm glad that I didn't buy a Dayco Belt!
Cheers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
i got 19,000 out of the oem and 19,000 out of the 1st bando, but the oem still has some wear left in it, i am keeping it as a spare in case one breaks while i am riding, the first bando is at the low tolerance, the dayco exploded at 10,000 miles, i have a bando in now with about 10,000 miles on it and still doing good so am thinking of ordering either a malossi or the oem so i have it on hand when the time comes. i presently have 57,200 miles on this scooter and still original brakes, clutch and battery and sparkplug and it still runs like the day i brought i home i am 82 yrs old and am trying my darndest to wear this scooter out before i do, i am not sure i am going to be able to do it, but i am having a ball trying.
Live your best life!!!
I'm just hoping to make it to 60.With the joy I get out of my scooter I'm having fun trying to obtain that milestone.Now you have given me hope to reach even farther... Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
A huge thing with belts are the compound differences. If brand x is claiming a very long life, I can assure you it's a hard compound and will eventually groove your clutch faces, where as a soft compound will grip, not wear your clutch faces, perform better, but its life will be shorter.
Again, I've been dealing with clutches and belts on snowmobiles for 45+ years, and I don't know if I ever found a belt that worked and lasted better the OEM. The bad thing is, if you're very particular, or 'not so lucky', even the same part number OEM belts can vary in measurements, usually in length. When I raced I would grab an arm full from behind the counter and measure everyone of them, and you'd be surprised how much they can differ.
I'm certain most dealers don't have an arm full of Burg belts on hand, but if they have 2 or 3, it may be worth your time measuring. I do not think a Burgman is near as fussy as a race snowmobile, but just a thought and my 2 cents, because these things are expensive!

·
Registered
96 Posts
My 2011 Burgman 400 has a little over 22000 miles on it, so I thought I should surely need to change the belt. I bought a new OEM belt from partzilla.com, and took things apart this past weekend, intending to change the belt. I took the belt off the bike, and measured width was 24.8mm, and there were no observable cracks or anything. Maybe I'm dumb (overly frugal), but I put the belt back on the bike and decided I'd check the width whenever I do final drive oil changes, and get the rest of the wear out of the belt. So, my little bit of experience indicates that the belt could last well past 22000 miles - unless the previous owner had replaced the belt, which is unlikely since I bought the bike with 6600 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I went ahead and changed mine at around 11K miles as it was almost 10 years old. Best I could tell it measured in spec. I say it that way as almost every time I measure I get a different value. Depends on where on the belt you measure (it's bumpy), how much pressure you put on the caliper, whether you measure at 90 deg to the belt or try to put the jaws parallel, etc.

Edit: Just for kicks I just went and got the old belt to measure it with my new digital caliper. (When I had measured it before I had the old analog style that requires some calculation to get a result.) With the digital I was getting a more consistent width reading of 26.1 -26.2 mm. This is with the caliper jaws roughly parallel to the belt and measuring the widest part. This is interesting as the service manual says a new belt width is 25.1 with the service limit at 24.1. So maybe my belt grew with use? Or maybe I'm still not measuring properly.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Again coming from the world of snowmobiling and going through literally 100+ belts alone, the 'tolerance measurement' you all refer to has very, very little if anything to do with how much time you have before it breaks and/or delaminates, that's just for peak performance.
A very good way, proper way to check the condition of your belt is to inspect for cracks in between the cogs on the INSIDE. Bend it, flex it, turn it inside out, and if it's all cracked in between cogs, it's time. then look all the way around the sides that fit against the clutch faces and check for obvious damage, which usually would be a cord or two coming out.
I have 18,000 miles on mine and there is NO WAY it's at the end of its life. I've learned clutching for racing from some of the best in the country, and a modern day turbo charged 208 hp (factory stock!) snowmobile will put a tad bit more stress on a belt then a scooter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts