Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a friend and he has Owen about every bike and scooter made, he keeps telling me there a small belt on the inside that if it brakes, it cost $2500. ...has anyone came across this....or is he blowing smoke up my u no what....

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I guess it's about the 650, because the 400 is much simpler in design.

·
Premium Member
14,260 Posts
If it is the 650, only belt I know about on it is in the CVT. Cost depends on if you do the work yourself or have someone do it. If all that is wrong is a broken belt you can replace it yourself for less than $500. If you pay someone else to do it then it will depend on their labor rates and how they go about doing it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
What does Owen know about motorcycles? :confused:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Ron I believe PaPa smurf just left the d off the end of owned.
I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Ron I believe PaPa smurf just left the d off the end of owned. I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.
It all depends on the arthritis in your fingers...:(

·
Registered
352 Posts
Just kidding around... I assumed it was the result of a smell chucker. ;)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Just for comparison-

Burgman 400 has an engine with variator which turns a rubber band :) which turns a clutch which turns a reduction gearset which turns the rear wheel.

Burgman 650 has an engine which turns....?..... which goes through a gear train which turns the rear wheel.

(I am not familiar with the 650).

·
Administrator
18,763 Posts
Just for comparison-

Burgman 400 has an engine with variator which turns a rubber band :) which turns a clutch which turns a reduction gearset which turns the rear wheel.

Burgman 650 has an engine which turns a flywheel which turns the ECVT which turns the wet Clutch which turns 4 transmission gears which goes through the Final Drive gear train which turns the rear wheel.

(I am not familiar with the 650).
There ya go Mike. :D

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
So is the "ECVT" a metal belt? Or rubber band?
I am trying to figure out how the Nissan CVT works too. Seems like something that would wear out sooner or later, but dealers seem to know nothing about it. :(

·
Premium Member
14,260 Posts
The belt in the 650 is constructed from aluminum links strung on two Kevlar fiber loops.

Concept wise the CVT in the Nissan is much like the one in the 650. On big difference is the belt in it has steel links instead of aluminum ones and it is oil filled where as the 650 CVT runs dry.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
So is the "ECVT" a metal belt? Or rubber band?
I am trying to figure out how the Nissan CVT works too. Seems like something that would wear out sooner or later, but dealers seem to know nothing about it. :(
It's a belt of small metal plates banded together with Kevlar. It's designed to last the life of the bike, somewhere between 50k to 100k miles. They don't really wear out, but they do break. It can be replaced, but to have someone do it, costs more than the bike is worth, in many cases. So for all intents and purposes, a broken belt means time for a new bike, unless you're mechanical or know someone who works cheap.

That's one of the reasons for low resale value. Most of us buy cheap and just don't worry about it till it happens. Most bikes generally don't last that long anyway for a myriad of other reasons. So just ride the bike and enjoy. Don't fret over milk that isn't even spilled yet.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
OK thanks!
I don't mean to belabor this, then does the 650 have a "variator" and slave pulley, like the 400? It would seem that the CVT of the 400 and the ECVT of the 650 are the same concept, the 400 has a rubber band however. :)
I will search for a photo of it in the meantime.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
OK thanks!
I don't mean to belabor this, then does the 650 have a "variator" and slave pulley, like the 400? It would seem that the CVT of the 400 and the ECVT of the 650 are the same concept, the 400 has a rubber band however. :)
I will search for a photo of it in the meantime.
View attachment 35321

I think it's something like this. See the little metal plates banded together on the belt? I'm not sure exactly what terminology they use with the ECVT, but Ya, variator and slave pulley. But they are electronically controlled instead of weights and springs.

·
Premium Member
14,260 Posts
There in no variator in the the ECVT on the 650. The primary pulley has a screw adjuster built into it. An electric motor controlled by the ECU powers the screw adjuster to open and close the pulley. The secondary pulley is a slave pulley that works much the same as the one in the 400 except it does not have a clutch built into it like the 400.

The clutch on the 650 is totally separate. It is a multiplate design like you find on many motorcycles and it runs in an oil bath. The difference from a conventional motor cycle is that it uses a mechanism similar to the variator on the 400 to engage and disengage the clutch. It has rollers and springs like a variator and when it spins it forces a plate in to engage the clutch.

·
Premium Member
14,260 Posts
Could he be talking about the timing belt/chain?
I have no real idea, but I doubt it. It is a timing chain not a belt and replacing it would cost no where near $2,500 even paying some of the inflated hourly rates dealers charge. It's a fairly simple job that can be done in a couple of hours.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
PaPa smurf are we talking about a 650 or a 400?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts