Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

The belt on my bike is squealing something awful. I notice it around 10-20 and after that I can't hear it as I am going to too fast. Anyone have any ideas on how to deglaze the pullies?

Mike

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Its more likely that your clutch needs to be deglazed, not the belt or pullies. Do a knowledge base search on "clutch deglaze". It's been discussed numerous times.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
First off, I can't imagine you'd need to 'deglaze' the pullies. If you have some contamination on them, just about any cleaner will do the trick. First thing I'd do is pop off the inner trans cover and check the belt. On my 2011, I had some belt noise but it was a combination of a seriously worn belt (the belt felt loose on the pullies, had a LOT of play.I easily slide it around the pullies by hand) and a pretty worn variator. The scooter had about 40K on the clock and I noticed that my RPM was running about 1.5K higher than what I considered optimal. You can inspect the clutch with a mirror to check wear.

Noise in the transmission on these scooters is not unusual and can have a plethora of causes.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
If you decide you need to deglaze the clutch, I've always liked cliffyk's 'set the rear brake and give her some gas' method. He also located a source for an alternative clutch for the earlier Burgman 400's from Malossi (I think).

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The belt is new and the clutch was good as of when I change the belt. The variator has lots of little 'ridges' so it is not 100% smooth. It is the original variator and I have almost 50K on it. How does one tell if it is worn out?

Mike

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I decided my variator was worn out when my RPMs vs speed got way out of line. In my case, my normal RPM @ 70 mph is right around 6K. When I was seeing 7.5K I figured something was up. When I looked inside, the belt was loose ( I could easily slide it past the variator) and the variator plates had a significant concave characteristic. If I put a flat edge against the variator cone, I had about a 1/16 gap about 1/3 of the way from the outside edge. If you haven't noticed usually high rpms, then I would think the variator is a problem. Ridges are normal, in my case it was the rpm vs speed that was my indicator. Actually, my variator was completely smooth. 20K miles ago, I did have some ridges but the rpm vs speed didn't indicate a need to fix anything.

If you look at your pulley surfaces, do you see black rings? You would probably want to clean these off (Probably just hit it with some carburetor cleaner and a little light rubbing with a greenie). If you check out cliffyk's early posts (summer of 2012) you will find one in which he describes a clutch from an aftermarket supplier (Malossi I think) that is available for pre 2007 400's. This may be your best solution.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
The variator's face surfaces should be flat and smooth but not glassy. When I change a belt I go over the face with 80 grit sandpaper and then a scotchbright pad. Not a lot, just enough to break the glaze.

Once a variator face has deep groves I replace. I would say a groove that is 2mm or more in depth would be the point of being too much. Multiple ridges would make it even worse. The face can be machined flat again BUT then the belt would sit different which would change the gearing. That means replacement is the only option.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chatman and Speed...thanks for the info I may replace the front variator as if nothing else it willhave 50K+ on it. I also have a groove at the outside as I ride almost exclusively on the freeway. But for now I will just hit it with a greenie to rough it a bit andbreak any glaze on it.

The clutch has been replaced with a Malossi within the last 2K as is still in good shape.

Mike

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok up date. I just pulled everything apart and noticed the variator has two distinct valley's/ridges. The pic is not the best but I am guessing at least 1mm at a min. on the outer valley. The belt is fine and basically still new. The clutch pulley also has a groove in it but not as bad. The clutch is still in new shape.

I will attempt to deglaze both pullies and the clutch just to make sure. I also thought I would check the bearings just in case. I used wheel bearing grease for cars-the moly stuff-and they looked dry. So, what grease should I use on these bearings? Do MC bearings require a different grease?

Speedandstyle...As far as the Malossi clutch goes I really like it. It seems to grab faster than the stock one. I will probably buy another one in 25K miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Grooving like that is totally normal and yours is very minor. After many more miles the groves might become a problem but right now they are fine.

Glad to hear you like the Malossi. I had it on my tenative list but now it goes on my for sure list. It will be down the road of coarse. I have one more payment and then my Burg is 100% mine! So that is first then I am thinking about an exhaust or maybe a windshield{cooler weather coming and the 'type S' WS I have now is tiny}.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the big windscreen, not the givi with the vent. I like it a lot in the cold weather. I lose 10 MPG, and there is no real air flow to the face so I can ride with the visor up on the freeway. So with a heater you will stay PLENTY warm.

Mike

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update #2: I took everything apart and since the bearings were dry, I bought some different wheel bearing grease. I used Stalube's 'drum/disk wheel bearing grease' this time instead of the moly stuff which I now do NOT like. So I regreased the bearings in the clutch pack and voila-no squeal! No the only question I have is how much damage did I do to the bearings thinking it was a belt squeal?

Mike

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Bearings are tougher than you would think. Usually when they go they are destroyed. If regreasing has stopped them from making noise and they roll smoothly then you should be good for now. Keep an eye/ear on them and if it happens again{especially soon} then replace them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts