Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,Last year after many hours of spannering,testing and head scratching on my k3 650 it turned out the throttle position sensor was faulty causing the belt to slip.The belt showed no sign of wear so I did'nt replace it I could'nt justify the cost on what was quickly turning into a money pit,new clutch and PPS.I was so happy when it was back together and running I never gave the belt a second thought till it let go 2000 miles later 10 miles out, 90mph = 1/2 mile coasting to a pull in,3hr wait for recovery.One thing I noticed during that 2000 mile period was the distinct lack of engine braking.I think all that slipping had been putting heat into the belt causing it to stretch therefore losing tension when rolling off the throttle.Anyway after fitting a new belt engine braking is back with a vengeance and it's running great made sure the running in period was treated with respect.Cheers

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,136 Posts
good stuff to know!

·
Registered
109 Posts
You were doing 90 mph with a bad tps? At that speed you would be at full high CVT ratio. Were your RPM’s spiking into redline?
I can see a bad TPS possibly causing the CVT to adjust to the wrong ratio, but the ratio change rate would be limited by the CVT motor circuit, which is no faster than the secondary sheave spring assembly can readjust, and keep belt tension. It makes sense you were experiencing a lack of engine braking, but I would guess it was from the CVT staying or going into a high ratio, not from belt slippage, The CVT probably was not downshifting as you were used to. Maybe Im missing something, but I can’t see how a TPS could make the belt with “no signs of wear” slip.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi K3 90mph=6500rpm,100mph=7000rpm, red line=8500 with new tps installed.Checkout my posts cvt motor in reverse (part 1 and 2).The track inside the tsp gets carboned up or just worn out on early models.

·
Registered
782 Posts
What were the faces of the sheaves like that belt took some damage and the metal inserts in the belt would have been acting on the face of the sheaves. If they are scored your new belt will suffer a similar fate eventually

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The pulley faces were not marked,the belt being constructed from aluminium H-shaped blocks which being softer than the steel pulleys I guess limits damage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts