Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my two-wheeling life I've owned:-

Excelsior Talisman Twin (250); Norton Jubilee (250); two Velocette Venoms; Honda Goldwing Aspencade; Honda ST1100 Pan European; two Honda VFR 750's; Suzuki GT500; Kawasaki GT550; BMW R100RT; BMW R1100RT; Piaggio X9 500; Yamaha TMax. Plus which I've ridden many others including Honda Blackbird; Honda Fireblade; CBR 600's; various Triumphs; Honda Silverwing, etc. etc. etc.

So why am I announcing all this here? Simply because, after a decent, 100 mile round trip today through the Chilterns it is as plain as day that the 650 Burgman that I acquired about six months ago and which I have, to date, used as a local-journey hack is, and by some margin, the best bike that I have ever owned/ridden.

I have made a couple of posts here previously but mainly tended to lurk about, soaking up what the rest of you have had to say on the subject. I must confess that, until now, I have taken the view that Burgies have been a little over-praised here, something that I found understandable, based on the euphoria of new-ownership etc. I now accept that my scepticism was unfounded - the Burgman (I can only speak for the 650, never having ridden any of the smaller versions) is truly as good as everyone here claims. Just thought I'd mention it.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Well with your riding experience and number of various machines owned and riden, you should know best! Maybe others that are lurking and felt the same as you will now accept what Burgman owners in general are saying.

Bottom line is that this machine rocks and is more versatile than I ever expected it to be. It's met and exceed all my expectations.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Is that your way of saying there is another guy walking around with a goofy smile on his face :)

I have not owned as many bikes as you but after 40 + years of riding I also agree. This scooter just seems to be more of a do everything well bike
and I am talking about the 400, no doubt the 650 is a lot better at certain things.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Yes, I know what you mean. I've also owned quite an assortment of motorcycles over the years (and a couple of scooters too). The Burgman 650 is unique. More than any of the others, it has exceeded the expectations I had when I bought it. It is a very handy urban errand runner, but it is also quite at ease doing a weekend 170 mile run through the country - and I've done 500 mile touring days with it. It is easy to like this scooter that can double as a sport-tourer.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Hatman.....how about giving us your views of the X9 and TMax?

And a shameless plug for the 400: I've ridden many a 200 mile day, with numerous stops to rest the old bod and to eat. In younger days 400 miles on a 250 Helix was not particularly rigerous, so the 400 also makes a pretty good tourer for the young. Young being anyone under 60! :lol:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK Ted, for what it's worth:-

X9 - Good, gutsy motor with surprisingly rapid acceleration but handling lets it down. Four tons of engine nailed to the rear wheel does nothing for handling and ride on anything other than marble-smooth surfaces. Also it gets a bit skittish at high speeds - I had an 'entertaining' sort of shimmy-shake set in once while proceeding along a motorway with 90 on the clock and a stiffish sidewind blowing. Quite good for anyone suffering from 'irregularity'.

Also, it grounds extremely easily on even moderately tight cornering, and the prospect of having the rear wheel levered off the ground by the centrestand leg is not a trait that endears.

Although comparatively low-priced, it could be even cheaper if it weren't laden to the gunwhales with gimmicks (electric centre-stand; built-in radio/cellphone/intercom doodad) and the build quality is pretty poor, with very thin paint finish, poorly-fitting panels, water ingress etc, which, I suppose, is what you get when you build down to a price. Overall rating? 'Fails to live up to initial promise - must try harder'.

TMax - Tip-top build quality, brilliant hybrid design - does what it says in the blurb, ie the most effective sportsbike/scooter yet devised.

Downsides? Well, it could do with more grunt as it runs out of puff too soon and the chassis could easily handle more (I briefly looked into the possibility of getting the capacity increased to 580cc - I understand that there's a kit available) and, to be fair to Yamaha, I believe that the 2004 model with injection has provided another 2 or 3 bhp which, according to Paul Blezard, makes it as quick as his 650 Burger.

Storage space is severely compromised by the design, being about half that on the 650 Burger but that, of course, can be resolved by fitting a decent-sized topbox. I found that, good as it was for twisty-road 'earoling' it soon became a pain (with standard screen) on prolonged motorway runs as, at high speed, the only way to avoid excessive backdraught pressure and unpleasant buffeting was to duck down towards the top of the screen which felt very unnnatural and soon became tiring. Also, it felt far less 'planted' at high speed than the Burgman, being altogether more 'twitchy' in its behaviour.

Overall verdict? Terrific fun, non-threatening accessibility to sportsbike-type riding (very enjoyable to watch the reactions of 'proper' bikers when they realise that they can't shake off this bloke on the step-through as you snap at their heels through the bendy bits, even overtaking and leaving them when the rainy season starts and they have to take care not to over-gas it coming out of corners, roundabouts etc). But, ultimately, I found, the Burgman is a more complete 'do anything anywhere' package and, as such, suits my needs better.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Randy, being 70, even 65 would look good again!

Hatman, thanks for superb write up. If you're not already a journalist, you missed your calling. I've been a bit frothy mouthed over the TMax, but yours and another I read recently have dampened my enthusiasm.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Hatman,
Well after that glowing report I am glad I was only " lightly" interested in the X9 , Now I will find it easy to forget about it.
No harm in looking but the 400 does cover my needs right now :)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Thanks for the glowing endorsement....that means my purchase of the 2005 model which I expect to pick up in March 2005 is totally justified!! Your posting along with others, convinced me to take the plunge and I'll report my impressions as well. BTW, I've own over 30 motorcylces in my 34 years of riding.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Hatman,
I'm really glad you came out of hiding, and spoke up. We all need to know others feelings and experiences of bikes they've ridden. It all helps us make up our own minds on dreams we have. You're comments are very well written.
thank you so much for your input.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you gentlemen for your kind remarks; they are greatly appreciated. If I think of anything else to say that seems worthwhile I'll post again.

Dave - I do tend to nod at other riders (with the exception of sportsbike riders with black visors as I've found that they always blank you, being far too cool, presumably, to acknowledge what are clearly lower forms of two-wheeled life than themselves - the class system is alive and flourishing in the bike/scooter world) and I shall make a point of nodding, waving and generally saying hello if and when I spot another Burgie round these parts, especially so if it's a blue 'un.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Seems it's the same the whole world over Ray, however, as I mentioned above, in my own experience it's just the black-visor kiddies who don't respond; many other, law-abiding, crotch-rocketeers (black visors are illegal for road use here) do nod (cool), but don't wave (uncool).

Could be, of course, that I'm doing them a disservice - it may well be that, having a blacked-out window in front of their eyes they just can't see well enough to notice nods/waves!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
dero said:
However, if I am out on the 650 Burgman EVERY sports rider waves to me - don't ask me why. The only thing I can come up with is they must think that the Burger is some new trick looking sports bike :D .

Weird.
The 650 looks like a sport bike from the front. With a Givi E-52 trunk, it looks like a full dress tourer from the rear. Only looks like a scooter from the side view. It does confuse people. :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts