Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Burgman 400 - Silver - 8600 miles - and climbing !
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to stir controversy, but it seems like the limited clearance of the rear tire center to the engine casting on the 03-06 Burgman 400, has limited (eliminated ???) most efforts to Darkside on a Burgman 400, pre 2007.

Has anyone seen it done, or done it ?

There appear to be 3 sizes of tires that MAY fit the 130mm rim & not rub:

155/65 R13. 20.9" Diameter
(Amazon has it)

145/65 R13. 20.4" Diameter
(Extremely rare, Japan domestic tire)

145/60 R13 19.9" Diameter
(More common but not in USA.
primarily, appears to be UK / Canada tire)

I quite believe the latter one would fit w/o rubbing, and should be fine on 130mm rim.
Revs would increase very slightly.

The first choice the 155/65 R13 would decrease your Revs but rubbing on metal engine case / swingarm is possibe.

My offhand measurement suggests there is approx 10.5" from rear wheel hub center to nearest part of case.

Only the 3rd choice looks like an "almost certain to fit".

Revs go up some but

I'm just posting this "thinking out loud"
I'm too busy to try this before my long awaited, imminent 'Tour to SoCal".

But my recent new rear tire MAY be toast once this 4,000 mile trip is added up.

At that point I'll test probably the 1 choice - I can get a returnable Amazon tire.

The other 2 rarer sizes are special order & pricey.

if you've tried this on a pre 2007, please do tell !

TY - David

·
Administrator
23,628 Posts
Years ago a 2002 AN400 rider was going to have a 13 inch rear rim milled off and weld a 12 inch rim to the spokes. Never heard any more. Back then a 145/75 12 was simi common in Europe.

In USA it is a Trailer tire and I would call anyone STUPID for fitting one on a bike. 8 Ply sidewall.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I run this on my 650 Burg. Not sure about a 400.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
2007 burgman 400
34 Posts
I have run automobile tires on motorcycles, but only on dedicated sidecar rigs. 5.50x 16 Michelin x. I have a friend who does it on a seldom used servicar rig. I would expect surprises if some serious lean happened.

·
Administrator
23,628 Posts
I have run automobile tires on motorcycles, but only on dedicated sidecar rigs. 5.50x 16 Michelin x. I have a friend who does it on a seldom used servicar rig. I would expect surprises if some serious lean happened.
Lawrence, Many ten's of thousands of motorcycles out there running just fine with a car tire on the back, I am one. I am not a racer but I can keep up with most non-racer sport bike riders in the corners. Most Harleys are like Candy, not too many that can catch me in corners.

It is called Darkside if you run 1 Car tire in the rear.
Its called Double Darkside when you run 1 Car tire in the rear and 1 Rear Motorcycle tire on the front wheel.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Here is THE listing for ds riders, their rides and the ct's they used. I used this and the pile of Burg 400's ds with Achilles 13" car tires. I have one on my Burg wannabee, Kymco Downtown 300i. I am listed with Kymco on the link. I had a clearance problem with the airbox so I used shims to move the box laterally.

·
Administrator
23,628 Posts
Here is THE listing for ds riders, their rides and the ct's they used. I used this and the pile of Burg 400's ds with Achilles 13" car tires. I have one on my Burg wannabee, Kymco Downtown 300i. I am listed with Kymco on the link. I had a clearance problem with the airbox so I used shims to move the box laterally.

Took me a bit to find the submission page.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I used an Achilles 150/85R13 because the standard size in car tires was smaller diameter/circumference than the MC tire. Of course the bike tire circumference reduces as it wears. That bigger tire was snug but my spacers did the trick. Been in service for over 8000 miles and still looks new!

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
114 Posts
Took me a bit to find the submission page.
Not the easiest listing to navigate. The original was better.

·
Registered
2006 Burgman 400 - Silver - 8600 miles - and climbing !
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is all great info.

TY for sharing it all.

So far your Kymco 300 (similar dimensions as Burgman 400 ?) is the sole "smaller Maxi-Scoot" to DS ?

No offense but for my tally & question I can't count a 650 because they have larger rims & different dimensions.

(But am inspired by them nonetheless !)

Ride safe guys !

David in Texas

1 - 11 of 11 Posts