Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to motorcyling and am very interested inthe Burgman 650. So close I anticipated buying one before summers end. Question is, would you folks recommend a newbie who has never driven a cylce before get on a Burgman 650? I've gone cross country on a fully loaded bicycle. Don't laugh, I know it is a stretch but for some reason I feel confident I could handle a 650. Reading other people's message where they were newbies many recommended the 400. I'm 38 and am dying to try this bike out and even own one. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Take the MSF course. They supply a bike you can ride for it. You should be able to answer your own question afterwards (keeping in mind the much greater weight and performance of a 650 over the bike you will be using during the course). :)

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Welcome to BUSA Hybridone!

I might suggest you read through this thread:

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic. ... eal+newbie

It has some real good info in it that you may find useful, including a piece I wrote about my experiences starting out on a 650.

Welcome & enjoy!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Take the MSF course and go for it. Remember, you control the bike the bike does not control you.

Janine :)

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Good advice.

Welcome!

Taking the MSF course is excellent advice. First and foremost it will allow you to obtain your motorcycle endorsement. After that you can shop around and test ride the 400 and the 650. I started out on a little 50cc and then bought the 650. Personally I felt the 650 was more stable but I also need the power for the type of driving I plan to do. If you plan on touring one up the 400 will be perfect. 2 up or cross country you may want the 650. Height is also a factor. The 650 is also taller in the saddle than the 400. For safety reasons you should be able to flat foot the bike.

Please also consider a good helmet, gloves and body armor. Taking a spill on any 2 wheeler isn't fun but especially dangerous on a heavy bike. Several of our members are here because their helmets & gear saved their lives.

Glad to see some younger folk joining. I'm 40 and there are a few guys/gals in their late 20's, 30's and 40's on the board but we tend to be the young in's.

Dee

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Greetings Paul and welcome to the forum. Like the others have stated the MSF course is a must no matter what size of Burgman you end up with. You don't mention your physical size at all. Yes you can learn on a 650, but the 400 may be better depending on your size.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I too am a newbie to motorcycling, and I chose the 650. It is the perfect fit for me. Since bicyclists are such great atheletes, I am sure you can easily handle the 650.

Oh, I happen to be vacationing in Port Charlotte Florida this week. This area has some nice roads for motorcycles and bicycles. Long, flat, and moderate speed limits. The real estate prices, however, are ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Paul

Welcome to the forum. :hello2:

You have received lots of good advice so to avoid repetition - my input - if you can 'try before you buy' :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the advice

Thanks everyone for all your advice. I have decided to check out this MSF course. Learn this fall and perhaps next spring invest in a new bike.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Re: Good advice.

ScubaGirl said:
Welcome!
Glad to see some younger folk joining. I'm 40 and there are a few guys/gals in their late 20's, 30's and 40's on the board but we tend to be the young in's.

Dee
I'm 24 :D ... early mid-twenties :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am also new to motorcycling, also have ridden bicycles quite a bit. Am 51, 154#. Recently did beginner MSF, found it very helpful. Likewise considered B400, B650. Only got the glint in my eye with the 650 (my wife said that!!!), so got it with her urging (I had not intended to buy that day, but got a great price otd). And I thought I'd have a fight getting a bike :wink: .

Have not regretted the 650 a bit. Frankly with the low CG I find it very easy to handle. Just be sensible and practice.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Woo Hoo!

Wow! I think you may have just won the prize for our youngest member! Welcome to the board. Where else would people with as much as 50 years difference in age come to gather and enjoy each others company?

You are the smart one...getting a Burgman before you go through your mid-life crisis! :lol:

Enjoy & ride safe,

Dee

·
Registered
30 Posts
LOL! Thanx Dee.

Truthfully though, I enjoy life and have no intention of ending it by buying some 150hp death bike. I really like riding the Vespa ET2 50cc but I think it's time to lose the cage for long or high speed drives(soaring gas prices are also playing a big part of my plans to purchase a bike). Don't get me wrong, I enjoy going a little fast on occasion.. I would just prefer to be surrounded by crumple zones if I do... not BE the crumple zone! :D

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Re: Woo Hoo!

ScubaGirl said:
You are the smart one...getting a Burgman before you go through your mid-life crisis! :lol:

Enjoy & ride safe,

Dee
Now thats what I call an assumption - maybe it is an early mid life crisis!! :lol: :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts