Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can not speak from being stung while riding a bike but I know those darned yellow jackets are bad. Moved into a house and went to push mow the yard. Ran over a nest in the ground and at first thought mower had thrown rocks or a stick on me. WRONG!!! Was wearing shorts and got stung 7 times once pretty close to a very private spot. Talking about pain. Throbbing pain all night long. Nothing I tried helped. Maybe a little but not much. Brother did get a wasp sting on his mouth while riding an atv. Mouth swelled up looked kinda funny.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I haven't been stung yet but I have had several bees in my helmet.
Twice I have felt them moving around by my ear & stopped & let them out. Once I found a dead one when I took the helmet off. Now I look first & have found several. I think they go after the sweat. I am a diabetic & there may be sugar in the sweat.
Wasn't too long ago I walked out the front door & found a swarm attached to the bird bath just a foot or so from me. Didn't take me long to get back inside. I called an exterminator (this was a Saturday) & he said he couldn't come untill Monday. He also said they would probably be gone by then. Less than an hour later almost all of them were gone.

·
Registered
220 Posts
(I don't know how this got out of order; it should be after your post. Sorry.)

Good grief, Pauljo! How can you go to the grocery store when both stowage spaces are crammed with all that neat stuff?

I don't have a Givi thing on the rear, but on occasion I'll bungee a duffel bag behind the backrest, facing fore and aft, and it more than doubles the carrying capacity of the Burgie.

Today, just for a giggle, I got my travel suitcase out; you know the style, it's got wheels and a pull up handle, the kind you use for air travel. I laid it on the seat behind the back rest. If I bungee it down securely I believe it would stay put. Amazing. So you pull up to the Embassy Suites, unstrap it, pop the handle, activate the wheels, exit your Aerostitch, emerge in a business suit, stroll up to the check in counter, hand the key to the valet, and say, "Park it, it's the silver Burgman."

·
Registered
4 Posts
:wav:

Those of you who haven't been blessed by the wonder of the bee sting while riding your bike, consider this. The pain produced by such a bite is a wonderous thing... and while you are trying to hold your bike up, manuevering down a busy highway or some curve, as both my husband and I have done, the only thing you can concentrate on is keeping the bike up.. while your body is left to deal with the pain.

Now.. most of us know that removing a Bee's stinger is no small feat. Having the appropriate supplies on hand are another thing.. but, having been stung IN... I repeat,..... IN... the ear by a totally ticked off hornet. Learned about the power of ice, and Benadryl ointment.. only one problem.. stinger still in... Hubby, on our way home some late evening.. the sun shining in your eyes so you cannot see...lol...was also blessed with the hornet sting... on the chest under his shirt... (those little buggers are clever!!!!)

In any case. Nurse Susi has a suggestion. I pass on a viable solution to fellow bikers out there... it's a Bee Sting /Snake Bite kit. Find this at your local Walmarts in the sports section. CARRY IT WITH YOU!!!! You must stop immediately and use this little device as it will suck the stinger out and help you out a great deal. If you mess with the site before hand.. chances are you will only cause the barb to sink deeper... (that's what it does by the way...) So take a few minutes and help yourself or co-rider to preventing an evening of agony...

While you are at it.. include a first aid kit.. perhaps a CPR Mouth to mouth kit so you will really be prepared. Lot's of peace of mind in those them things.. Gnite.... Sue

:wav:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I was riding a few years ago. I saw a Yellow Jacket impact my faceshield, then slide down slowly toward the chin bar. The next thing I was aware of was excruciating pain - it had stung me in the soft tissue between my chin and my throat.

Two days later, I was stopped at a traffic light in my car with the driver's window rolled down. Another Yellow Jacket flew in the window, stung me on the arm, then flew away.

A week later, riding again, a bee flew under the cuff of my jeans and stung me on the leg.

I haven't been stung since, but that was one BAD month for stings.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Scutour said:
I’m gonna have to get one of those Givi TopBoxes
Absolutely!

I keep all the stuff I don't use constantly under the seat:

Tire Repair Kit
12 volt Air Pump
Deluxe tire gauge
CruzTools Kit
FroggToggs Rainsuit
Rubber Rain Gloves
Manuals
Electric Vest
Alternate (Heavier/Lighter) Gloves
Sometimes an Alternate Jacket
Etc.

I use the Givi Trunk for stuff I need to stow/access while on the ride or stopped:

Full Face Helmet
Gloves
Sunglasses
Riding Jacket
Etc.

My Cleaning stuff, Water Bottle, Maps, etc. go in the glove boxes.

So I am carrying all the heavy stuff down low, where it should be. The
Givi trunk is a great convenience for stowing riding gear when I stop, but it is close to empty when riding. No significant weight being carried high and far back, where it could affect handling.

When touring, I'll add the Hump Bag (which hangs on the garage wall most of the time), and maybe a tail pack on the rear seat (I'm thinking about getting one just for solo touring).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bee stings

If you are stung by a bee, the best thing to use is anything with amonia in it. Windex with amonia is the best. The Amonia is diluted enough that it dosen't blister the skin. The amonia neutralizes the poison ( which is a form of hydrachloric acid). The pain will deminish instantly. I have used it many times and have had great results. If you are alergic to Bee stings, you better take your alergy kit riding.

Mike
In Florida :wink:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Bee sting relief

I have found that using Adolph's meat tenderizer as soon as possible will slow down the swelling. Don't try wiping it off but just leave it glopped on until you can get a antihistimine. I always carry a small plastic bag with a small amount in it. Not to get it confused with other white powders!

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you are allergic and don't have your epi-pen and have reasonable access to a drug store, you can buy benedryl over the counter and snort it, it will enter your blood stream faster and stop a systemic response.
It burns like hell but it is better then being dead.

Ed

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just remember.... Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I can't count the times I've been stung but here is one very good solution.
Lemon. Cut it in half. Push/squish exposed lemon on sting. If you get to it soon enough you wont even know you got stung in a few hours. Gar-On_Teed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts