Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in sunny California....and I mean sunny! 8)
Here in the central valley we get some extremely hot days.
Not unusual to be (and stay) in the 100s for many days through out the summer. (almost as bad as Arizona)

I have found a way to beat the heat, and it's a "no brainer".

Instead of wearing the usual black jacket, black pants...I purchased a Silver Olympia AirGlide2 mesh jacket with the Silver Olympia AirGlide2 mesh pants.
And what a difference COLOR can make.
The silver color seems to reflect the heat, whereas black just absorbs the heat.

I just finished a day ride up to Mt Lassen/Lake Almanor area, thru the Feather River Canyon (337 miles) and I was quite comfortable while others in the group were sweating like pigs and just dying from the heat.

I did drink plenty of water.

So, I'll save the black gear for cooler temperatures, but I absolutely love the cool silver color.

That's my story....and I'm sticking to it !!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Good info, Lee!

I didn't know it got that hot out there either!

Black, for some unknown reason, has always been the 'color' for motorcycle gear. It is the worst for heat as you well know and also for visibility...two reasons I never, every purchase any black gear anymore.

I learned this lesson in my early and 'not-so-wise' days when I had a cool helmet made by Simpson that was akin to Darth Vader's mask. Looked cool, but was black.

After leaving it on my motorcycle seat for about 4 hours in the hot Georgia sun, next to my wife's white Shoei helmet, we came back to the bike. As I was casually talking with our other riding partners parked next to us, I placed my hand flat onto the top of that black helmet and I thought I had placed my hand on top of a hot Weber grill! It almost fried my hand! My wife and the others there took delight in my non-stop string of obscenities. When I got back under control, Linda asked me to place my other hand on the top of her helmet that was in the sun for the same amount of time, next to mine. The temperature difference was remarkable!

Needless to say, the next day my Simpson was in the basement and there was a new Shoei on my noggin! :) White isn't only the best visible helmet out there, it is also the COOLEST when it is hot!

pr

·
Registered
874 Posts
Oh sure.. dark colors are hotter than lighter colors. That is one reason why your seat is blasted hot versus the plastic. Dark colors appear dark because they absorb nearly the entire color spectrum, and hence, quite a bit of light energy. All that absorbed energy makes it heat up! Simple physics.
Another reason why I do not buy leather for my cagers. Leather is usually black in color and is very hot.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
CFV said:
I would rather my equipment to be black and blue than me.
And I totally agree with you....black gear is sure better than NO gear... but it is the way black handles heat (or light as AZ pointed out) that makes it my absolutely last choice for anything to do with riding gear. I want to be cooler when it is hot and also much more visible when the ambient light dims, so black never gets the nod from me for gear (except for boots). . :)

pr

·
Registered
664 Posts
glazier2000 said:
So, I'll save the black gear for cooler temperatures...
Black isn't necessarily going to be warmer in cooler weather. The only reason black is ever warmer is when there is a radiant heat source (i.e. the sun) directed at it. When there isn't that heat source, black radiates more heat (i.e. cools off quicker) than other colors.

The cooling effect isn't nearly as noticable as the warming effect, but it does exist. The amount of body heat radiated is just nowhere near the amount of sunlight absorbed.

When I worked in shipping for a steel tubing plant, I wore black. People thought I was crazy, but we were inside. My body temperature tended to be higher than the air temp., so the black helped cool me off. In the winter, we used rows of radiant heaters, so the black picked up the heat better, keeping me warmer. Win, win!

When I got my gear, I went with the HiViz yellow jacket, but got the black pants. I had to order the jacket, but was unwilling to use a black one. The black pants were available in my size, and I just took them instead of ordering in silver :?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts