Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2005 Burgman 400. I am replacing the bearings in the rear clutch/ pulley. Does anyone have a tip for removal/ instalation of the bearings without a bearing press or fancy tools.

Thanks Jeff

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
I've changed many a bearing by using a punch or screwdriver and hammer to drive them out from the back and a socket the size of the outside race and a hammer to drive the new one in. That supposes that you can get access to the back of the bearing to get the punch against it. When you drive the new one in be sure not to apply any force to the inside race. Force should only be applied to the outside race. That is why you use a socket the size of the outside race and tap against the socket with the hammer. Move the hammer around the socket and tap it in easy making sure to not get the bearing angled in the bore.

If you are just planning to change the output shaft bearing that commonly goes out and causes noise when the bike is idling or being pushed around (part 21214-15F00) that method works just fine. That is how I changed mine.

If you are doing all of the bearings in the clutch then you are going to have to buy or make yourself a tool to compress the clutch spring and take the clutch apart to gain access to some of them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Buffalo. I will try that. I see that you have 103,000 miles on your 650. Do you do your on maintenace. Whats the secret. I have 73,000 on my 2005 400. Not too bad mainly tires and brakes. Now it seems things are catching up to me. I try to do everything myself. Have you ever changed the fuel filter and or fuel pump?

Thanks Jeff

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
I had my dealer replace my fuel filter
when I had the 4-year service done.
The mechanic & I came to an agreement...
replacing the filter in the tank is not
something you want to do, unless
you really have to.
The radiator has to be removed, so that
you can move the tank forward enough
for the pump/filter assembly to clear
a cross-member .

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
Yes, I do all my own maintenance. Don't know that there is any secret. I just do normal scheduled maintenance and take care of any problems as they crop up. I've never changed the fuel filter or pump on my Burgmans. I tend to agree with Duster that it is not something you really want to do unless you are having fuel pressure problems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Duster and Buffalo thanks for the information. Its nice to see the high milage on these scooters. I love mine and has saved me milage and money on my truck. I will ride it untill the wheels fall off.
Duster you own an 05 400 as do I. I would like to hear about your sound system as that is one thing I miss while I am riding. Is there a forum where you can share the info. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
The sound systen that I have is the package offered by
Jac Vinson at www.rvtoys.net
He was at a scooter rally in Eureka Springs, Arkansas
in August of '05....he installed it there for me. He was
kind enough to leave the wires for the 'rear' speakers
dangling for me....I later added a 1/4 inch audio jack
to those wires, to have a place to plug in my helmet
speakers. So, the speakers that come with the radio
package are my 'front' speakers, & my helmet speakers
are my 'rear' speakers....and I love the package. I feed
my XM radio receiver through this AM/FM/CD radio,
& mostly listen to XM '60s oldies.
Get yer motor runnin', head out on the hiway.......

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I took the Fuel System Out before!! it was Simple, You dont have to remove the tank or much Tupaware to get to it, at least on the '07 Models The filter was Brown looking So Soaked it in Fluid which turned it white, It was no need to even work on it, just went inside because I dropped a fuel re feeler spout inside the tank by accident ,Had no choice but to Remove the top Cover to get to it. this was years ago..

Elliott,

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
The sound systen that I have is the package offered by
Jac Vinson at www.rvtoys.net
He was at a scooter rally in Eureka Springs, Arkansas
in August of '05....he installed it there for me. He was
kind enough to leave the wires for the 'rear' speakers
dangling for me....I later added a 1/4 inch audio jack
to those wires, to have a place to plug in my helmet
speakers. So, the speakers that come with the radio
package are my 'front' speakers, & my helmet speakers
are my 'rear' speakers....and I love the package. I feed
my XM radio receiver through this AM/FM/CD radio,
& mostly listen to XM '60s oldies.
Get yer motor runnin', head out on the hiway.......
Very cool Duster I love my tunes and 60's music too! Just needs a 10" sub woofer.
http://www.rvtoys.net/motormate_003.htm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts