Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my new Brigstones from azmotorsports and now considering replacing all bearings (just for piece of mind) even though they seem to be ok at aprox. 9300 miles.

My local bearing supply has the 6203 2RS and 6204 2RS bearings in stock for $11ea, but only one R. front outer 24x40x7 seal at $3. The local Suzuki dealer has neither and their price is $72 four all including outer seals if ordered with 3-5 day delivery wait.

I want to get this bike back together ASAP (Daytona Bike week is in 2 wks). I’ve checked the “How to” topics and several bearing posts but haven’t found the answers to the following questions and excuse me if have already been addressed.

1. Are the bearings difficult to removed without any special tools? I suppose they are pressed-in?

2. Can the outer seals be reused?

Rob
in Jax Fl.

·
Registered
111 Posts
say from my observation when i had my wheels off this winter, i don't believe that job is a bad one. if you have a long bar that will got through the axle hub you can tap out the bearings from tha back side and when you install them tap them in carefully. don't hit the center portion of the bearings just around the edges. the outer seals may not be saved unless they come out with the bearings and look to be in servicable condition. if they are ok use blue locktite around the outer metal ring to reinstall then that will keep them in place and also become a seal, plus if you have to change them ever again they will come back out. good luck.

·
Registered
611 Posts
How upset with yourself would you be if the bearings failed a month after replacing them, and you found out that the "bearing problems" were caused by the seals and not the bearings"? If you're doing it for peace of mind then replace the seals.

Some things should always be done together. Oil and oil filter, bearings and seals, both headlight bulbs, both tires...

By the pictures I've seen of the failed bearings - I feel you should at least suspect the seals didn't do a good job at keeping the grease in and the water out.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Earlier today when I asked for information about reusing 2 out of 3 seals, I had no other options. Since then, I’ve ordered from another supplier that will have them in the morning.

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Sorry I couldnt reply earlier but I was having comp problems and just got back on today. The bearings can easily be removed by tapping them out gently from the backside using a metal bar ( long socket extension works just fine). The seals can be removed and reused if in good condition . I used a screw driver (blade) and inserted it at an angle under the seal. Using small twists of the wrist and working your way around the seal you can gently pry it up without damaging. Now the new bearings being installed should already have the rubber seal in them as opposed to the metal shield on the OEM bearings. This rubber seal will prevent water from penetrating the actual bearing. The outer seal in my mind just helps to prevent direct water blast at the bearings. Good luck on the install and it looks like I need to take more pictures :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the bike together on Friday afternoon. I did all the work except mount the tires on to the rims. As posted it was fairly easy and took my time to carefully install the bearings and seals. The service manual calls for using a special bearing puller/tool to remove the bearings, which I did not have.

Even though the original seals were fine, I replaced them with the new ones. I would have reused the old seals if I could not get them right away, because from what I gather, the improvement was made to the bearings not the outer seals.

You will not believe what the Suzuki dealer bill was to mount the tires on to the rims.

Here it is:

1 hour labor 75.00
1-10 ounce weight 5.25 (must be 14k Gold)
Gov Tire waste 2.00
Tax 5.76
Grand total 88.01

Even though, I believe they overcharged me, I offset the charges by not buying their parts and doing the installation labor.
Tires–Dealer Price $304.95 - I paid $175.25 Saved $129.70
Parts -Bearings/Seals Dealer $77.04 – I paid $63.53 saved $13.51
Saved Dealer Bearing/seals installation $75.00 + $5.62 tax
Saved Dealer wheel installation $90(rear)+ $75(front)+ $11.55 tax.

My total savings is $400.38

The bill would have been a ridiculous $727.17 to install 2 tires bearings and seals.

This dealer charges $75 per hour but doubles the labor time.
I spent 1/2 hr replacing bearings and seals with no special tools. They quoted one hour labor. They also estimated 2+ hours labor to remove and replace both wheels. I took me one hour at the most to remove and install both wheels.

It amazes me what they can get away with and people just pay the price.

·
Registered
611 Posts
To make billing easier they made up these charts that show the average time it takes to do whatever procedure on whatever vehicle - and they built in some fudge factor time to ensure they didn't lose any money... Instead of actually charging for the mechanic's time they charge what it's supposed to take. I've been charged 1/2 hour labor for installing a battery into a WaveRunner that was put into the shop without the seat (they accidentally gave me someone else's seat the time before). It couldn't have taken 15 seconds. The installation was 1) lift the rubber restraining strap. 2) set the battery into the holder, 3) secure the retaining strap over the battery, 4) connect the push together connector.
I'm sure it took you longer to read it than it took to do it. First they told me that they charge "by the book", and that some vehicles take longer. I told them that was rediculous and asked to talk to the shop manager. When I said that 30 minutes was rediculous he said that was as small a timeblock as they could charge for.
I know there are some good shops out there, but come on - how can anyone think it's fair to charge an additional 1/2 hour (on top of a 6 hour charge) for something that takes a few seconds? They refused to not charge for it - so I removed the battery and returned it. I bought a battery at a different shop on the way home and "installed it" myself. They got to keep my $37.50 - but that was the last penny they made off of me.

·
Super Moderator
8,083 Posts
Playing "Devel's Advocate" now.

It probobaly take more time to do the paper work than some jobs. You not only have to pay the mechanic, but also the office work that goes with it.

If you figure 15 min. to process the appointment, and the billing. a 1/2 hr. minimum, does sound about right.

I try and do as much as I can, myself, and save the shop for stuff I don't have the tools for, or the expertice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts