Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Not sure if I'm putting this in the correct thread but thought I'd try this thread first.

I have an 08 400 that is in dyer need of a better back support than the stock one I now have. I'm leaning towards the bearcat version from Bestbackrest.com, but have some concerns about the model.

I'm 5'5" with a 28 inch inseam and wanted to check with other riders that are about my size that have this backrest how they like it. I'm concerned that the padded sections of this backrest are not going to hit me right on the right spots of the back such as the lower portion of the back where I tend to get my soreness after a day in the saddle. I've done several searches on the backrest in this forum but noticed that most of the members that posted were tall in stature so I wanted to check on those that are more on my size what you think about it and how does it fit you.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I don't think you being 5'5" or 28" inseam would have that much bearing on the backrest. I don't have my 400 with the Bearcat any more but I do have a 650 with one. Sit on your 650 & take a measurement to the small of you back & let me know. I can measure my 650 & see where it would come to.
Or if you come down into the Palm Springs area you can sit on my 650 & see how it fits you. ;)

·
Registered
857 Posts
I had always read the Bearcats were best for taller riders but I could sure be wrong. How tall are you desert rat?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
see here to have an idea:

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Interesting how it compares to Bearcat in terms of comfort.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I had always read the Bearcats were best for taller riders but I could sure be wrong. How tall are you desert rat?
I'm 6' with a 32" inseam. On my 650 the bottom of the Bearcat sits 7" & the top is 13" from the seat bottom. My guess is on a 400 should be about the same. I liked it so much on my 400 that's why I got one for my 650. ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think you being 5'5" or 28" inseam would have that much bearing on the backrest. I don't have my 400 with the Bearcat any more but I do have a 650 with one. Sit on your 650 & take a measurement to the small of you back & let me know. I can measure my 650 & see where it would come to.
Or if you come down into the Palm Springs area you can sit on my 650 & see how it fits you. ;)

Hi Mike,

Thanks, I'll try and measure it tonight and get back to you. Thanks for doing this.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Fernando,

Thanks. I saw the same video and thought about it but kind of didn't like the look of it. Specially since the backrest of the 400 is kind of large and ugly. :p This is why I was leaning towards the bearcat but every review I read was done by a taller rider and the taller riders do really like the bearcat but have also read a few complaints about it being uncomfortable and not hitting them squarely in the right part of the back. Since I'm on the shorter side of life the bearcat does make me wonder as to where in my back would those padded areas land.
However worse case is if the bearcat won't work for my size and this option is going to be more comfortable then I'll definitely go with this version. Function before form is how I have always like to do things.

Dave

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Well, as to the "where" that's dependent on the amount of bend in the pegs as a more acute final angle should put it a little higher on your back when leaning into it where a more obtuse angle should place it a smidge lower. Having bent my own I adjusted it until it fit me the way I wanted it to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts