Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to commend Bearcat for his outstanding backrest and service. I was in the market for a backrest, these seemed to be my choices at my price point: 3Bros buttrest raiser (wood), Ebay buttrest raiser (metal), Ebay Passport headrest to backrest conversion or Bearcat's Passport headrest to backrest conversion.

With further research, I found out 3Bros was banned from burgmanforums..1 down.

The Ebay buttrest raiser seemed O.K. but it appeared the rest would intrude too far into the area of SWMBO, and if momma aint happy aint nobody happy..2 down.

The headrest conversion on Ebay and Bearcat's seem pretty much the same except the Ebay one is adjustable fore/aft and Bearcat's isn't. I wondered why not and sent an email to Bearcat asking about his rest's lack of adjustability. He patiently explained that his rests had originally been adjustable and he had found the further the rest moved out of the holes in the seat, the more chance there was of seat breakage due to the increased leverage..3 down.

I was concerned the rest might be too far back for me to use comfortably, so he sent me pictures to illustrate his comfortable riding position as he is approximately the same height as me. We have a winner! I fired off some money, 3 days later the rest was at my doorstep!

Installallation couldn't have been easier, and as I test sat the rest, I knew I had made the right choice. I got off the burg to check out how the new rest looked and this is what I noticed:

The rest looked crooked! Not terribly crooked, and you didn't notice it when using it, but still crooked. I took the rest in the house and broke out my trusty tape measure. Heres the difference side to side, approx 1/2 inch:

I almost decided to live with it, due to the hassle I was sure to have explaining it to bearcat, sending the crooked one back, paying postage etc., but I knew the crookedness would drive me crazy after a while. I fired off an email to Bearcat explaining the situation, and to my surprise, he instructed me to throw that one away and he would send me a new one on his dime as soon as he had it made up. No muss no fuss, the new one arrived less than a week later in perfect shape. The fit is perfect, the riding position is very comfortable, and I bought it from a great guy who stands 100% behind his product.

That level of customer satisfaction is rare in this day and age, and if you are in the market for a backrest for your Burgman, you owe it to yourself to check out Bearcat's backrest first!

·
Registered
140 Posts
That's good to hear. I'm looking for one for my 400, I'll look him up.

*Edit*

Do you have a link? I'm not having any luck with google...

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
#1A+ on Bearcat . . . Look in this section for Bearcat . . . PM him and he will take care of you. I did and have absolutely no regrets. :thumbup:

·
Registered
140 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I second all that has been said of bearcat - a refreshingly honest man in these times of scammers, thieves and charletons. I have one of his backrests. I 'improved it' (for me) by cable-tying a plastic-wrapped ordinary car-washing sponge into the bottom space (see pix) It is now the best ride I have ever had. Kenp

·
Registered
145 Posts
:thumbup: on Bearcat and his backrests. I whipped up a small foam cushion in leather with velcro straps to wrap around the uprights. Comfy.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Finally got one from Bearcat. Easy install. Now I'm kicking myself for waiting all this time! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
I got mine Friday, installed today, getting the oem buttrest out was a pain, had to drill the screws eventually as the screws were all blurred, but looks great, I can't ride for a few weeks to really get it out but feels great so far

·
Registered
11 Posts
The bearcat was too far back for me so I took Brad's advice and got
a 3/8" dowel from the hardware store, along with a Krylon Paint Pen.
After measuring more than twice, I cut two 6" pieces off the dowel
and ran these into the Bearcat's mounting tubes. Installed on Thumper,
(my 2013 400), this places the backrest maybe 2" forward from full-back,
which feels just about right sitting on it in the garage. I used the paint
pen on the Bearcat's now-exposed (& unpainted) mounting tubes. Easy-
breezy; if I was techy enough, I'd know how to post pics. I'll let you hear
how it works.

·
Administrator
20,542 Posts
One of these days when I am not being so lazy, I will size up some steel tubing that replaces Brad's tubing. Then measure and notch it so the factory adjuster works. I would Tig weld it to the steel rod so it would not spin. Its an easy mod in my head, just getting the butt to follow and do it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Dave_J,

Sean has did up some for the loose backrest we have floating around. If you need we could send you a set. I think I have some that are slotted. I put some electrical tape around the end so they dont spin as bad. its not as good as a weld but does the trick.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is there a big difference between the "Bearcat" backrest & the "Bestbackrests.com" back rest? I one somehing that will give me plenty of back support, but is also soft & comfortable against my back.

·
Administrator
20,542 Posts
Is there a big difference between the "Bearcat" backrest & the "Bestbackrests.com" back rest? I one somehing that will give me plenty of back support, but is also soft & comfortable against my back.
All these are the same Isuzu Rodeo headrest that is modified to fit our bikes, 400's and 650's.

The Bestbackrest.com's is, per their on-line store, $99.95 plus $15 shipping.

The Bearcat is like $65 including shipping. Blakeisback has some too and is about the same as the Bearcat in price, maybe a bit more, I do not know and do not quote me on those prices.

I have a BearCat and will not ride without it.

I would give Blakeisback or BearCat a PM and save some wood.

Blakeisback http://www.burgmanbrothers.com/

BearCat [email protected]

And Thanks Cary but I have one, just a thought on modifing mine if I get un-lazy one day.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had created a Backrest extension for my 2013 400 and it turned out to be really comfortable and exactly what I was looking for, both support on the back and cushion in the butt area.

You can see a thread called "Custom Backrest extension on my 2013 Burgman 400". Do a search and you will find it. I won't tell you it is detailed to the point you can follow complete instructions, but you will get the idea. It cost me about $20 and a few hours of playing around with what I wanted to do. Hope this gives you another option.

·
Registered
515 Posts
My backrest ( I think it is a Bearcat) ( bought it used on the forum) sat too far back for me to use.
I bought some pvc tubing and added about an inch and a half length more than the tubes that it came with . Slipped the tubes over the backrest metal rods and it now fits me much better .

·
Administrator
20,542 Posts
My backrest ( I think it is a Bearcat) ( bought it used on the forum) sat too far back for me to use.
I bought some pvc tubing and added about an inch and a half length more than the tubes that it came with . Slipped the tubes over the backrest metal rods and it now fits me much better .
And thats about the most my lazy butt will try. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts