Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a story I hoped I would never have to tell on a 2 wheel forum. I have been riding for many years and many types of bikes and have had a few scares as many of us have had but nothing serious.

This past Halloween night I was traveling home from work on my 3 month old 2013 burgman 650. I was about 2 miles from home on a dark 2 lane road. I crested a hill and noticed a large black form in the middle of the road. I got on the brakes as my mind tried to process what it was. About that time it turned and looked at me and I thought oh #$#* a bear. It was too late to stop so I opted to avoid him by going right. As fate would have it the bear opted that route also and I t-boned him.

The impact took out the front end and I went down hard on my left side. I slid about 10-15 feet down the road. Luckily no one was behind me to run me over and so I was able to get off to the side off the road. The impact knocked the bear off the road and down a bank. I was worried that he might come back to finish me off. After I called my wife and 911 I heard rustling in the leaves so I guess he got up and ran off.

My pelvis is fractured in three places and I broke a small bone in my spine called the sacrum. My riding gear and helmet prevented any further injuries. I have zero road rash. My helmet has severe road rash on the shield and left side. It likely saved my life. I consider myself fortunate that my injuries were not more severe. I'm thankful that I can share my story.

I have not seen my bike as I was just released from the hospital yesterday but my father in law who retrieved it from the scene says it's pretty bad. The insurance adjuster is coming in a few days to give it a look. Maybe I can post up some pictures then.

I'm a believer in rider safety training and always thought I was prepared for anything but I can tell you that from the time my brain interpreted what my eyes were seeing until the crash was over was mere milliseconds. I don't know what more I could have done to have prevented this other than just not being there. Thanks for reading. Be safe out there!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Wow! So much to be thankful for. Take it easy, Curly.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Wow - glad you are okay. Burgman will take a lot of the crash damage with it's crushable front end and your gear saved you road rash.
Pretty serious hit for the pelvis fracture tho....must have caught your handle bars.

One for the late night stories for sure. Get lots of physiotherapy. Keep us posted on recovery. Important part of riding is knowing what you can recover from.

Cresting a hill is always a bit fraught ....my closest call was similar accelerating hard from fuel stop and thought it was open highway - ...there was a dip with a compact car hidden - he was turning left.
No chance I was going to stop but there was just enough room to scoot around him on the right hand edge of the road.
I've always been wary of crests, even more so since then.

Likely too you were relaxed knowing you were close to home....Murphy was out on Halloween for sure.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I was worried that he might come back to finish me off.
Just because you crossed his path? Nah, he wouldn't do it unless he's hungry. Not a human being. But he could have taken your bike, if he were working in circus.

Good that it ended well. Well, relatively but well nonetheless.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
From what you are saying, I think the only thing you could have done to avoid that accident was to have decided to not ride that night. I am glad you came out of this with your life. I do hope you will recover without problems. Your bike can be repaired/replaced.

Riding at night... I love to ride after dark. I also have just about stopped doing so. The risks go way, way up after dark. No bears around here that I know of but lots and lots of deer. A guy was killed a couple of years ago when he hit a cow in the middle of a US highway just a few miles from my house. Accident happened just before the sun came up. The State Trooper that worked the accident said there was no skid marks. He said that he didn't think the guy saw the cow before impact. The farmer who owned the cow didn't know it was out. It was the event that caused me to stop riding at night out of the city limits.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Sorry to here this but glad you were not hurt worse.

Having broken my pelvis in a crash I know what you are in for. Biggest pain is having to use a walker to get around. You will learn to hate that thing. I was so glad when I graduated to crutches.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
These 'could happen to anybody' stories always make me feel queasy.

Sorry for your bad luck, and please mend fast!

·
Registered
208 Posts
On a group ride in Georgia a couple of years ago, the last bike in line was a Harley, and he hit a bear in broad daylight. Somehow he managed to not go down but sustained some damage to his fender and the motor guard bars. We were able to straighten those enough for him to finish the trip. He did have to change his pants tho.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Happy that Curly can write about incident here, injury plenty bad as is, however could be even worst, best wishes for quick and complete recovery and hope back on ride very quickly.

Hardlie rider friend laugh because me wear FF/modular Shoei helmet, Cordura jacket with pad protection and Cordura riding pant with pad protection, riding boot and glove, Curly just reinforce why me wear ATGATT.

Chérie was chase by moose riding secondary road in Maine (did not hit moose) so know such occurrence very scary.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Wow... glad to hear you're still with us, Curly. Some days you can do everything right and still have the day go sideways. This is why I always wear that gear; it does its job when it's least expected. Take care of yourself - the bike can be replaced.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident , BUT !

There is a valuable lesson for all of us here , when approaching a hill that you cannot see what is on the other side SLOW DOWN as if there was an animal lurking on the other side .
I can pretty well guarantee you that the next time Curly does , he will slow down until he has a clear vision as to what is in front of him . So many accidents are like this , had we just done this or that I wouldn't have happened . Be careful out there boys and THINK !

TheReaper!

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Curly thank you for sharing your pain with us.
I could say it is a barely believable story for an urbanite like me to comprehend and I can only imagine your horror having survived, to have that horrific image of the bear coming to finish you off. Horrible.

I hope that you heal well and fast and find the pain 'bearable'.;)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Wow, a bear... I've been around a while and heard most stories of impact with various creatures or objects (deer, rocks, refrigerator in the road, etc.). I even came accross a house blocking most of a 5-lane freeway once. But a bear? Okay that's a new one.

Sorry you got hurt, but relieved you'll be okay. Heal quickly.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Glad you are not more injured than you are.

I have been reading a lot lately about bear problems here in NC. We had one running around in a neighborhood a few weeks ago. I frequently encounter deer here in the Piedmont and have had some close calls myself.

I did have an altercation with a wild turkey that slammed in to me a couple of years ago. Scared the crap out of both of us, him for sure because i was covered in bird crap YUK !!!

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
It's not just in NC. A few years back a group of 7 of us were going through the mountains in eastern Oklahoma. We rounded a corner and there was a black bear sitting in the middle of the road. We were able to slow down and keep from hitting it. It got up and rain off the road to the left.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Sorry for your accident and I hope you have a full and speedy recovery.

I try to not ride at night ever since my friend's son was killed when a deer hit him broadside at a full run in the middle the night. A hoof punctured his lung and he hit his head on a rock in the crash. There was no warning and nothing he could do. You have a better chance of seeing and avoiding animals in the daylight.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I am wishing you the best of all possible outcomes, and hope you can ride again soon.

Sometime there is noting you can do to avoid an accident. I had a big black bear bound in front of me on Black Mt. this May. Honestly if I had arrived at his crossing point 2 seconds earlier ( I was traveling about 30 mph downhill), he would have barreled into me and I could have ended up at the bottom of a ravine. This was mid morning in good light. They are big, black and fast. It is quite a shock to be surprised by one while on a bike.

It was indeed the highlight of my weekend trip.

Best wishes, thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Sorry to hear you got injured, hope you heal quickly and are not in too much pain doing so. My eldest daughter and son in law go hunting and camping and she always says oh I wish we can see a bear and my thought is oh no hope not. I always have nightmares until she is home safe and sound. I don't ride much at night too many deer around here though actually they are out and about even in the day time. But glad it was not worse. The gear does help as I found out my first day out riding in 2007, it saved me from having worse injuries than what I did sustain on crashing my first Burgman. Cheers Sally.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Well the bike is a total loss. I've attached some pictures but they don't really show the hidden damage. Every piece of plastic from the seat forward is cracked or broken. The dash/console is completely dislocated by several inches. The front forks bent from the triple tree on down. The front wheel is pushed into radiator. The adjuster said virtually every piece of plastic on the bike would have to be replaced.

The good news is all my riding gear that was damaged is being covered.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts