Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Navarre beach yesterday afternoon to see if the beach road had been repaired. The road runs from Navarre beach (about 15 miles west of me) all the way west to Pensacola beach. A two lane that meanders thru the dunes for about 19+ miles. It wasn't. Dammit. I was all set up to meet up with my buddy at P-beach! :cry: It's still washed out from hurricane Ivan. Either way....it's a beautiful drive.

I hit some sand that was blown completely across the road (how wide is a two lane? say ~ 20'? - the thing was was that it was covering about 10 feet of the go down it road - so it was like a rectangle of sugar white beach sand....20 feet wide (across both lanes) by 10 feet to go thru/across. I saw it coming and slowed down. There were two pounded down thin-sand tire tracks thru this patch of beach sand on both sides (coming and going.) The winds were gusty. I set up to hit one of the pounded down sections (tire impressions) and just as i was about to cross it a gust of wind hit me and directed me right into the heavy lump in the middle! Immediately the front tire started to wash out (bike wanting to go right) - scared the bejeezus outta me.

The only reason why i didn't go down (at 25mph) was because the bike grabbed traction on the other side (about 10 feet).

BE CAREFULL IN SAND. Gravel or a dedicated dirt road is a bit different - at least you know what you have and you sort of get used to it. But with summertime approaching, and many of us wanting to "go to the shore" - just be aware....beach sand is SLIPPERY!

just a .02 for ya'll.

pedz

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Pete,
I happen to know just what your talking about, down in Fort Lauderdale route A1A runs along the beach and has always got sand over it. makes for interesting riding. And the wind seems to leave sand at almost every intersection and corner. :(
But if I mite disagree just a bit, maybe you did not go down is because your a little bit better at staying cool and handling your bike then you give yourself credit for.. 8)

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope randy - well - sort of - really tho - i tend to disregard all of the palm-wringing, razor-blade pooping safety pundits out here. Heck, the day before I was rackin' up miles without sunblock, helmet, gloves, leather, armor, credit cards, and a current certificate of MSF completion!

:p

Man I'm gonna catch crap about that! (prolly not... :wink: 'cause i've already stated my age likes dislikes etc.)

Having only a couple of 10 thousand miles - I know (well - i may be soon find meself wrong!) ....when to doddle - and when to SCREW!

Being a once accomplished snow skiier (learned and played in the Dolamites - continued in Cali.), a pretty good skateboarder/blader, and a guy who has won a few poker runs with his car with mom and kids onboard! (Speed limits were watched .. :wink:) (...not to mention the SCCA novice class 1st place trophy against that pesky lil Cooper, in my little Chevy Sprint,) not to mention the unpowered two wheeled adventures (gosh - crammin down the trail on my first, real, mountainbike - a low buck Giant - at ~30mph heading straight down toward Mugu Rock on Route One!) - I have a shallow cache' of balance.

Ciao Bro - and tks.

Pedz.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
The streets in my town still have splashes of gravel and salt left over from winter, and newly fallen tree dander everywhere. First time on my 650 I felt the rear tire slip a bit rounding corners. Reminds me of the ONLY time I've actually dumped a scooter.... Yamahopper 50cc and leaves on the road.

Point? Don't just watch out for sand. Watch out for anything on the roads.

Dave B.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts