Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to know if anyone has been to Bay of Fundy, is the large tidal variation a daily thing? Wondering if it's worth a trip.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Yes...it is daily...if you are considering a trip there,
you might be interested in looking at
http://www.novascotiawebcams.com
they have 5 'albums' of camera sites
that you can choose from to see live pictures.
Some cameras update as often as every 5 seconds...
some take a little longer.
I check the camera at the Halifax ferry terminal
regularly, & also the Martock ski hill.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Actually the big tidal bore that is often pictured occurs on a river that feeds that bay. It is interesting to see the tide out. However, the Fundy area has become less than tourist friendly. NS has seriously neglected road maintenance and the roads are very tiring due to the bumps. Tourist amenities are few also. Most of the tourist focus seems to be around the major cities, the southern shore, and Cape Breton. A bit disappointed in the Fundy area because of the roads.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
/\ Duster, that's good link, thanks!

·
Registered
352 Posts
I was there a very long time ago. "Legend has it" that the entire bay would have a tsunami-like wave come crashing in and fill the whole thing up in minutes. That had not happened for many years at the time I was there, due to changes in tides, currents, sediment, etc. I do recall there was a fun "roll" of water that came in, and then the bay did fill up in an hour or so. Not the most "thrilling" experience for a 10-yr. old. ;)

Sorry to hear the roads, etc. have become so bad, it's still a beautiful area.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
/\ Duster, that's good link, thanks!
That website is from Mike (sailingskier)
over on the Maxi-Scoots website.
He lives in the area, & rides a 600 Silverwing.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
My wife and I rode the tidal bore when were visiting about 20 years ago. Basically, we were taken out in a zodiac/inflatable boat and the boat went down-river until we spotted the tidal bore, which looks like a 'ledge' of water, rolling up the river. The driver pulled the boat up on top of the tidal bore, and you cold look down on it. As it passes, the river gets a lot of waves, and we spent some time running over those - something that can be fun if you're not bothered by a rough ride.

Otherwise, we drove around the Cape Breton highlands, saw Peggy's Cove, Lunenberg, and went back to Halifax to meet up with some friends before flying home. It's a pretty place and we had a great time

1 - 8 of 8 Posts