Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear tyre is nearly squared off and almost at the tread wear indicators at 4500 miles so I'm looking to replace it in a few hundred miles time. The OE front Bridgestone is fine. What's best - stay with Bridgestone and fit the Battlax (are these the OE ones now or is there amother Bridgestone in ths size) or change to a Diablo? If I changed to a Diablo would it be okay to mix the tyres or should that be changed as well? Do either of those claim to have harder rubber in the centre to delay the squaring off and if so, what mileage have others on here got from them?

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Well I got 9,500 miles on the OE Bridgestone rear till a cord finally showed. I don't remember how long the Diablos lasted (roughly around 5K) on my '03 but that's what I used at the time because they were cheaper and I was happy with them.

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
My experience is that you will get a lot less mileage out of the Diablo than you will with the Bridgestone. For me the Bridgestone last 7,000+ miles. I have the Perrili Diablo on my 05 650 when I totalled it. It had about 4,000 miles on it at the time and I don't think I could have gotten much more than another 500 out of it. I ran the Diablo on the back paired with the OEM Bridgestone on the front and had no handling issues.

I have run OEM Bridgestone, Perrili Diablo, Michelin Pilot Sport, and Metzler Feelfree tires on the back of my 650. All of them squared off as they headed toward the end of their lives. Mileage wise I get about the same from the Bridgestone, Michelin and Metzler.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
From what I've read, they are designed to cater for the people who wish for more cornering grip than the SC M01R original fitted offer.

You probably won't have to ride on it for more than 3500 miles before getting to select a new rear tyre.

Bridgstone heard that we were out of bread, and their answer was: "Let them eat cake"

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
I don't know if shinkos are available in the UK, but they are worth trying, they work very well in all weather conditions.

I used to be a big fan of the OEM B-stones until they redesigned the rear.

I was getting the same mileage on the shinkos on the rear and front as the OEM B-Stones at half the price with zero
penalties in handling or performance.

everything I have read about the Diablos, by those that have tried them in the past, indicates a lower mileage return, about 5k miles or so.

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
The Bridgestone tires I have run were the original TH01R not the new style TH01R-M tire.

Right now my preferred tire setup is the Bridgestone TH01F on the front and the Michelin Pilot Sport on the back.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
LeDude said:
I don't know if shinkos are available in the UK, but they are worth trying, they work very well in all weather conditions.
Not sure they would allow that over there, pretty restrictive as far as replacement tires usually.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thans Erik but In the UK if you have an accident and it is discovered that your tyre specification is less than the OE specification there is a good chance your insurance will be void. Fitting a 150 width bias belted tyre with an 'S' speed rating in place of a 160 width radial ply 'H' rated tyre is just not worth the chance to save a few quid. I'll go with the new style OE Bridgestone this time and see how long that lasts for - even if I get 4000 miles out if it thats at least a years riding for me. Safe, sticky, legal riding! :D

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
A Burgman 650 can't under any circumstances reach and maintain 180 kph (S- speed rating)

The load rating is higher than OEM

10 mm is less than ½inch

But you live in a country, which due to a lot of in-invited guests without British moral and standards, have thrown all common sense away, and go bullheadedly by the book.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I've just looked into the Danish rules - again.

Load rating the same as OEM or better - check
Circumference within +/-5% of OEM - check
Speed rating the same as or higher than the vehicle's top speed - check.
The tire must fit the rim - check

I have yet to find a rule in the Danish legislation that says I have to use radial or even MC tires. Cars can't mix bias and radials.

Germany is obsessed with rules and regulate into every last detail, and tyres from other manufacturers are only given free after they pay the bribe to the registered importer or manufacturer of the motorcycle.

Check the legislation in UK yourself and don't rely on hearsay. Car tyres are specifically ruled out though, and you aren't allowed to mix radial and bias ply tyres, so the Shinko is a no-go with the OEM Bridgestone up front.

I've found Conti Twist bias ply's in 120/70-15 front and 150/70-14 rear

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
ErikDK said:
Check the legislation in UK yourself and don't rely on hearsay. Car tyres are specifically ruled out though, and you aren't allowed to mix radial and bias ply tyres, so the Shinko is a no-go with the OEM Bridgestone up front.
Sounds like he may have. At least the UK isn't as strict as Switzerland.

Here's the UK info. http://www.etyres.co.uk/uk-tyre-law

www.etyres.co.uk said:
The penalties for having illegal tyres are currently up to a £2500 fine and 3 penalty points PER TYRE!
OUCH!

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
I can say without reservation that after wearing down the OEMs at 10K, and then a set of Battlax tires at 20K, I switched and tried the Pirelli Diablos. I've been pretty happy since then....24K miles and they are wearing well.

Two thumbs up.

Steve D UK said:
My rear tyre is nearly squared off and almost at the tread wear indicators at 4500 miles so I'm looking to replace it in a few hundred miles time. The OE front Bridgestone is fine. What's best - stay with Bridgestone and fit the Battlax (are these the OE ones now or is there amother Bridgestone in ths size) or change to a Diablo? If I changed to a Diablo would it be okay to mix the tyres or should that be changed as well? Do either of those claim to have harder rubber in the centre to delay the squaring off and if so, what mileage have others on here got from them?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
MJR said:
ErikDK said:
Sounds like he may have. At least the UK isn't as strict as Switzerland.

Here's the UK info. http://www.etyres.co.uk/uk-tyre-law

www.etyres.co.uk said:
The penalties for having illegal tyres are currently up to a £2500 fine and 3 penalty points PER TYRE!
OUCH!
You need to find the rules and read what constitutes an illegal tyre. Don't just assume that anything but a direct replacement for OEM is illegal.
The skeleton MOT guideline clearly says car tires and the mixing of bias and radials as examples of unsuitable tires, but says nothing about load or speed rating. In my eyes that leaves the decision to the discretion of the individual MOT tester and his whims.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Erik. Load and speed rating do not come into the mot regulations (actually, load rating does but only on commercial vehicles). I am an mot tester so I know what I am talking about. In my first post I was talking about INSURANCE companies and the likelyhod of rejecting a claim in the event of an accident with a tyre of less spec than an OE one.

For your infomation and education here's a link to the definition of an ilegal motorcycle tyre in the UK. http://www.motuk.co.uk/mcmanual_410.htm See definition 'f' in the left hand column which gives clear guidance on an unsuitabe tyre. This is not a 'skeleton' mot guide - it's the offical testers manual so it is not just down to a 'whim' of an indivdual tester - nothing ever is.

The tyre you suggested is not just unsuitabe in my opinion, it's ILLEGAL in the eyes of the law in the UK.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
So if you fitted a radial car tyre to the rear then as long as you had a radial anything on the front that would be ok?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
OK Steve D UK, please tell me where in the UK MOT rules you find the information to deem a pair of Conti Twis bias ply tires illegal:

Conti Twist Type 120/70-15 TL 56S M/C front and 150/70-14 TL 66S M/C rear .

Oem Bridgestones are 120/70 R14 TL 55H front and 160/60 R14 TL 65H M/C

Apart from the speed rating 180 kph vs 210 kph (Suzuki claim a top speed of 170 kph)

The bias tyres have one number higher load index front and rear, fit the rim and the rear has a slightly larger circumference.

If the MOT tester also sells tyres, I can see why he would fail a tyre costing half the oem.

How could an insurance company reject a claim if you fillow the law?

You crash doing the speed limit, but the insurance company thinks you should have gone 10 below?

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
NormanB said:
So if you fitted a radial car tyre to the rear then as long as you had a radial anything on the front that would be ok?
Nope. See example 'a' in the definition of an unsuitable tyre. Unlike the old days where failures were hand written, under computerisation an item can only fail if the reason is stated in the 'reason for rejection' column whether the tester likes it or not. If the tester is unhappy about something they can add an advisory note (AKA a 'Cover your A**e note) but that is not a fail.

No darksiding for you then, Norm. :sad11:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts