Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is the battery life affected by storing the battery in the bike, on the tender, over winter vs. taking the battery out and storing in the house on the tender? I am talking Minnesota winter, so parked November through mid April and with nights sub zero for extended time.

I have always pulled the battery on my other scooters, but the Jetmax did a poor engineering job and put the battery behind the front wheel, under the radiator. It is a difficult removal and replacement.

If it make little to no difference, I will just store in the bike on the tender and save myself some time and aggravation.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Battery Winter Storage

My sense is that winter here in Ottawa is not much different than in your neck of the woods (going to hit -35C tonight). My Burgman 650 is stored in my unheated garage and I simply keep it plugged into my Optimate charger. Because this charger constantly monitors the battery output and only charges when the level drops you don't have the same issues as with a trickle charger. I have never had a problem with the machine firing right up come spring.

Prior to owning the Burgman I had an Intruder in which I had installed a battery from GMan Industries. Those batteries seem to thrive on cold and I never even used a charger. Just let it sit for the winter and again, no problem with it starting right back up in the spring. GMan sells batteries for the Burgman and although not cheap will probably be my choice for a replacement when the time comes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just check the specs for your tender. The one that I use, Schauer CM1A, says to use above 32 degrees F.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I take no chances and store mine inside. I only hook a charger up every so often through the winter. I don't believe anything good comes out of leaving one hooked up 24/7. I have no scientific proof to my theory, it just makes sense to me.

Unless you have some sort of "really smart charger" which that optimate may be.

·
Super Moderator
8,078 Posts
I take no chances and store mine inside. I only hook a charger up every so often through the winter. I don't believe anything good comes out of leaving one hooked up 24/7.
I agree, and take mine inside, and put a trickle charger on it once a month or so. Usuall it only takes a minute to get the green light (for full charged). I replaced my oem battery a few years ago. ('03- 8/9 yr old battery).

In reality, how many people keep their bikes 5 yrs, much less 8. (just s few I would guess) I'm going on 12

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
In reality, how many people keep their bikes 5 yrs, much less 8. (just s few I would guess) I'm going on 12
I've had my 2001 Honda Reflex 250 since 2001. So that's uh....14 years? Probably will have it a while longer too. It has over 40,000 miles (most of that is from the first 3 years). It's kind of pokey, and doesn't look its best, but it's usable. My wife rides it sometimes in the summer now that I've moved on to the TMAX.

·
Registered
197 Posts
This is my first winter with my 06 Burgman. I've not hooked up my battery tender so far - just been going out to the unheated garage and starting it now and then. This morning it's 9 degrees. Will probably hook up the tender today and bring it back to full charge. I don't like just letting it hooked up - will put charger on now and then.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've been riding motorcycles and scooters for decades in Nevada, Maine, South Dakota, Wyoming, California, Maryland, West Virginia etc.......I've had them sit at +120F and -35F with chargers attached. Never had a battery explode, catch fire, burn out or fail to stay charged unless it was over 7-8 years of constant use. Just plug in and forget it, heated or unheated garage.
P.S. just going out and starting the bike, allowing to idle every few weeks or days is a battery killer. Motorcycle charging systems do their main charging above idle.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I've been riding motorcycles and scooters for decades in Nevada, Maine, South Dakota, Wyoming, California, Maryland, West Virginia etc.......I've had them sit at +120F and -35F with chargers attached. Never had a battery explode, catch fire, burn out or fail to stay charged unless it was over 7-8 years of constant use. Just plug in and forget it, heated or unheated garage.
P.S. just going out and starting the bike, allowing to idle every few weeks or days is a battery killer. Motorcycle charging systems do their main charging above idle.
This is how I take care of my batteries. I have a Battery Tender for each of my vehicles. Even the battery in the Jetta gets connected up if I'm not going anywhere for a few days in winter. It keeps the batteries topped off. Batteries are by design able to survive in cold weather just fine as long as they remain charged without freezing. Battery acid/water can only freeze if it loses its charge. Hot weather is harder on batteries than the cold of winter. Letting a battery sit over a cold winter without charging it is a sure way to shorten its life - and letting it run low on water is a sure way to kill it - and it'll likely die over the winter if left uncharged.

A smart charger is cheaper that replacing a battery every year or two since a well maintained battery will easily last you 4 or more years.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In my car, I have lost batteries in the heat but more often from the cold. I have had a cell freeze when my computer didn't fully shut down/hibernate. The battery was only a year and a half old, but couldn't take that drain and the cold weather.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Glad it's something I know nothing about. ;) I keep mine charged by riding to work. Should be 85 today by the time I head home. :cool:

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
I still have orig. Yuasa battery in my 07/650, and have never used a charger on it at any time. It sits in an unheated garage every winter, and starts up on first crank every Spring. Just lucky I guess. BTW, will replace with another Yuasa when the time comes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts