Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 AN 400 and was wondering when winter comes if I am able to charge the battery while it's inside the scooter or do I have to take it out? I looked everywhere on the tutorial section and see everything but about the battery. Also can you give me links for front and real light bulb replacement instructions. The search feature is not very good in my opinion. I typed in Battery and got the majority of hits that had nothing to do with a battery. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Yes you should be able to tender in/on the bike.
The batteries lay on their sides so they should be sealed and can be charged even upside down in theory. I would leave the glovebox open to exhaust any gases that might build up but you kind of have to do that any ways to hook the tender/charger up.
If you do not have a sealed battery, by chance, I would take it out if not using it for extended periods of time for maintenance charging.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The battery is suppose to be a gel battery so it won't leak where it is located. Once you take off the cover that conceals the battery you can add the external leads that usually come with the battery tender. That should make everything easier. I have not had to charge mine yet, though I do have the battery tender. Since we had some good days during the winter, I rolled the bike out of the basement and started it. I let it run for 10 minutes and that seems to be all it needs for another few weeks or a month.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
The battery tender comes with a pigtail you can permanently attach to the battery. You can run the connection to a convenient place where you can plug it into the tender. I just ordered an extra from E-Bay for $5.99 so I can have one on my scooter, 4WD ATV and my BMW motorcycle. The charge is very small (it's a maintainer) so there is no danger of fumes or overheating. I have used a battery tender for years without any problems.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I leave the battery in the bike when its on the battery tender. I did the same with my 2001 Harley after I bought it. After replacing the battery that was in it the following spring I installed the battery tender leads and never had to look at the battery again for 6 years - it was a sealed glass-mat battery. I replaced it only because I was selling the bike. I keep my cars and bikes all on battery tenders during the winter months since I may not drive for a week or so during nasty weather. Having to change out a battery is a rare event for me these days. The battery tender is a no-brainer.

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
For a battery tender check
www.jafrum.com
they have the Battery Tender Jr. on sale
right now for $19.95....
locally around here, this model sells for $39.95

·
Registered
739 Posts
Just ordered a 2nd one.. but shipping was $8.95 so I saved about 3 dollars or so over buying one in a store locally.. (plus no sales tax of course)

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I have a 2003 AN 400 and was wondering when winter comes if I am able to charge the battery while it's inside the scooter or do I have to take it out? I looked everywhere on the tutorial section and see everything but about the battery. Also can you give me links for front and real light bulb replacement instructions. The search feature is not very good in my opinion. I typed in Battery and got the majority of hits that had nothing to do with a battery. Thanks.
Using a Battery Tender or Junior..on the Burgman is no different than recharging a battery in a car....AND....the battery is NOT removed to do that!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts