Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to install a battery tender on the 400. Disconnected + lead first ,
Took bolt out to put the tender + lead on , ready to tighten,, won't tighten ,because nut fell out of the groove . Could not get the nut back in the groove with battery in the bike. Disconnected the - lead , had a hard time getting the battery out of the slot.
Now battery in front of me put some two face tape behind the nuts. Slide battery back in the slot, now I'm missing the - lead, it slide down in the hole below battery.
Tried fishing the lead out with a heavier gauge wire, could not get the wire up out of that hole.
Now I had a dumb A_ _ attack and started turning the side reflector light thinking maybe a larger hole to see what or how I can get this wire out.
Big mistake the nut comes off and falls on the garage floor. Now I have two things to fix. Removed the radiator cap cover , still can't see how I can get to the missing wire. Removed the 6 screws around the dash and then not knowing what I'm doing just started to pry or lift till I could see down where the side reflector should go. OK with magnet was able to get reflector back on bike.
Still no luck finding out to tear the lower part of deck apart tried one more time with my wire. Oh I could feel the wire,,, tried a couple different ways and finally was able to see the top of the wire. Had another wire and was able to get wire in the battery lead hole.
Now I put a piece of string in both hole of battery leads and tie the other end to a screwdriver. While pulling on screwdriver, slide the battery in place, attach the battery tender leads tighten the battery leads. Bike completely back together, battery being charged and it even started.
For a 15 min job it was one big pain in the but_......and it only took 3 hrs.
Nothing broke and I wouldn't take time to get on the pc check out the forum to see how to remove the dash or under dash pieces.
So just be careful sliding your battery back in the slot and making sure your battery leads stay in place.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I'm glad you posted that story. I have to take my battery out for winter storage any day now and I don't need any headaches. I'll be careful.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Took bolt out to put the tender + lead on , ready to tighten,, won't tighten ,because nut fell out of the groove . Could not get the nut back in the groove with battery in the bike. Disconnected the - lead , had a hard time getting the battery out of the slot.
Now battery in front of me put some two face tape behind the nuts. Slide battery back in the slot, now I'm missing the - lead, it slide down in the hole below battery.
Tried fishing the lead out with a heavier gauge wire, could not get the wire up out of that hole.
Now I had a dumb A_ _ attack and started turning the side reflector light thinking maybe a larger hole to see what or how I can get this wire out.
Big mistake the nut comes off and falls on the garage floor. Now I have two things to fix. Removed the radiator cap cover , still can't see how I can get to the missing wire. Removed the 6 screws around the dash and then not knowing what I'm doing just started to pry or lift till I could see down where the side reflector should go. OK with magnet was able to get reflector back on bike.
Still no luck finding out to tear the lower part of deck apart tried one more time with my wire. Oh I could feel the wire,,, tried a couple different ways and finally was able to see the top of the wire. Had another wire and was able to get wire in the battery lead hole.
Now I put a piece of string in both hole of battery leads and tie the other end to a screwdriver. While pulling on screwdriver, slide the battery in place, attach the battery tender leads tighten the battery leads. Bike completely back together, battery being charged and it even started.
Nothing broke and I wouldn't take time to get on the pc check out the forum to see how to remove the dash or under dash pieces.
So just be careful sliding your battery back in the slot and making sure your battery leads stay in place.
When I installed the pigtail lead for the Battery Tender - I did NOT remove the battery bolts at all - just loosened them up a bit ( cause I know what a b i t c h it is!) and took a pair of cutters and just cut a "slot" in the circular hole to slide it under those battery bolts....!

·
Registered
511 Posts
>>When I installed the pigtail lead for the Battery Tender - I did NOT remove the battery bolts at all - just loosened them up a bit ( cause I know what a b i t c h it is!) and took a pair of cutters and just cut a "slot" in the circular hole to slide it under those battery bolts....!<<

Ditto the above.... worked like a champ!

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
I had this same thing happen to me when I replaced the battery on my wife's K7 400. After an hour of trying to fish the wire out of the hole I thought there has to be a better way. So while I bent over to look in front below the headlight, Lo & behold, there was the wire dangling above the front fender. It was easy to push the wire back thru the hole with my left hand and grabbing it with my right hand in the battery compartment. We have since sold the 400 but still have the K9 650. Anyways, I'll never forget that trick on a 400.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Battery cables

Been there, done that on more than one bike.....and car...and have done worse, though I refuse to admit specifics....when disconnecting battery cables on anything, ALWAYS disconnect the GROUND cable fires and reinstall it LAST.......

TW

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
>>When I installed the pigtail lead for the Battery Tender - I did NOT remove the battery bolts at all - just loosened them up a bit ( cause I know what a b i t c h it is!) and took a pair of cutters and just cut a "slot" in the circular hole to slide it under those battery bolts....!<<

Ditto the above.... worked like a champ!
I had this same thing happen to me when I replaced the battery on my wife's K7 400. After an hour of trying to fish the wire out of the hole I thought there has to be a better way. So while I bent over to look in front below the headlight, Lo & behold, there was the wire dangling above the front fender. It was easy to push the wire back thru the hole with my left hand and grabbing it with my right hand in the battery compartment. We have since sold the 400 but still have the K9 650. Anyways, I'll never forget that trick on a 400.
I looked in front , even had a led shining down in the hole of the battery box.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had looked from the front , even had a led light over the opening thinking I would see the wire. Guessing I wasn't looking at the right place and I didn't put my hand up in that area when I didn't see the light.
Thanks I will keep that bit of info.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Been there, done that on more than one bike.....and car...and have done worse, though I refuse to admit specifics....when disconnecting battery cables on anything, ALWAYS disconnect the GROUND cable fires and reinstall it LAST.......

TW
Thanks for the reminder about disconnecting the Ground first...
Knew this just had a senior moment....

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
I had looked from the front , even had a led light over the opening thinking I would see the wire. Guessing I wasn't looking at the right place and I didn't put my hand up in that area when I didn't see the light.
Thanks I will keep that bit of info.
I did this about 3 years ago and don't recall if I actually saw the wire below the headlight or if I reach up in there and felt the wire with my fingers. Anyways, once you locate it, it's pretty easy to push back thru the hole.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts