Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just about time to put the stabil in the tank and take out the battery.

Can anyone recommend a good cheap battery tender?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Paul!

·
Registered
51 Posts
pauljo said:
Battery Tender JR. A good smart charger. Plug it in and forget it - it won't overcharge the battery.
I'd have to disagree with you Pauljo. I got one last year for my Honda Shadow. It does work well but it will lower the water level in the battery (which is usually a sign it is overcharging). I have to add water at least once a week if I leave it on all the time. I hooked it up to a timer so it only comes on for an hour a day.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Well, I've used mine for over a year - and I use them year round, not just in Winter. When the bike or scooter go into the garage, they get plugged in. Both Suzukis have the new maintenance free sealed batteries, so there is no water level to check.

The Battery Tender detects when the battery needs charging. When the battery is at full charge it switches to a very light "maintenance mode" trickle charge. Lights on the outside of the Battery Tender Jr show what phase it is in. Red light = charging, Green light = maintenance mode. Mine are in a wall mounted plug, so I see them whenever I walk into the garage, and they are green light most of the time.

So far I've had no issues, they are working fine. I did have to top up my older Concours battery a couple of times each Winter when it was plugged in. But I think these new batteries are gel filled, so water evaporation as well as water loss from charging should not be an issue. Time will tell.

There is a lot of information on how these chargers work on the Battery Tender website for anyone who is interested.

http://www.batterytender.com/

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
pauljo said:
But I think these new batteries are gel filled, so water evaporation as well as water loss from charging should not be an issue
Paul, my '04 650 battery has liquid electrolyte but is sealed and requires no maintenance. The Service Manual cautions "........make sure to use the charger specially designed for MF battery."
I'm using the Battery Tender Jr but I'm not sure it's designed for a MF battery. Any idea what an MF battery is ?
Don

·
Registered
125 Posts
Battery tender

What!? Nov 3d and your talking about packing it in for the winter? Are you a former Harley owner?

There's nothing more exhilarating than cruising on a luke cold December or January day! If it ain't snowing it's riding weather. Just take a cruise on a frosty Sunday morning, then come home and sip some hot toddy and watch the football playoffs - nothing better!

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Re: Battery tender

drspencer48 said:
What!? Nov 3d and your talking about packing it in for the winter? Are you a former Harley owner?
Harley owner? Bite your tongue! :lol: Not packing it in - just making sure my battery keeps it's charge in Jan. and Feb. so it can handle my electric jacket and gloves.
Don

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
DonRich90 said:
Oooops! Just as I hit the "Submit" button I realized MF probably means "Mainteance Free". I'm still not sure my Battery Tender Jr. is designed for a MF.
Yes it is compatible. I just waded through the FAQs on the Battery Tender site. The BT Jr is compatible with both the AGM (Absorbed Glass Matte) and Gel Cell types of maintenance free batteries. I am not positive which type we have, but after reading the material on different battery types, I'd guess that they are AGMs. They seem to be the most popular for power sports applications.

I've been using mine for over a year now on two Suzukis with MF batteries. As I stated before, I use them year round, whenever my bikes are in the garage - which is whenever I'm not out riding them.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
dero said:

Yuasa do not recommend leaving a battery on trickle charge all winter, apparently it causes sulphation which will eventually kill a battery, it can also boil away the electrolyte if the trickle charge is too high.
The Battery Tenders are not trickle chargers though. They explain the differences in the FAQs on their site.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Re: Battery tender

drspencer48 said:
There's nothing more exhilarating than cruising on a luke cold December or January day! If it ain't snowing it's riding weather. Just take a cruise on a frosty Sunday morning, then come home and sip some hot toddy and watch the football playoffs - nothing better!
Right.
Then you go out and scrape all the salt off so you can see the pitted aluminum (wheels, engine, trans, final drive, etc.), the rusty steel (exhaust, brake rotors, frame, etc.) and wheel bearings. Oh, we already talked about wheel bearings. Have fun.

·
Registered
689 Posts
In the past I have tried three different winter chargers on my Jet ski battery and each time in the spring I had to buy a new battery so now I do not use those things or winterize it. What I am going to do with my Burg is every few weeks I will start it up and let it run for a while or take it out for a ride around a few blocks and for my jet ski I will start it up and run it also, both my toys are garage kept.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I've kept my previous scooters in an unheated garage without any charging all winter...just a start up and 15 minute run once or twice. Never kept a scoot more than 4 years, but the battery was still going fine when I sold it. Realize winters are harder on batteries in climates colder than mine in N.C. but would think a day or two of trickle charge once a month should do it.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have never put any of my bikes on trickle chargers. Actually for as long as I can remember, I've left them in the bike year round. I go out in the garage about once a month, open the door, and start up the bike. I let it run for about 15-20 minutes, to charge up the battery and keep oil in the cylinders.
I've never had a battery or starting problem when spring finally arrives.
What I love most about early spring is, when the roads are clean, but there is still snow on the ground, I love going out for a short ride. People look at you like you're nuts. I just smile. Its a great way to welcome spring.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts