Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The battery on my 06 would not hold a charge. So I bought a new battery from the local Battery Warehouse. It was fully charged. I put the battery in the bike, and hooked up my float charger. I intended to run the bike every 6 or 7 days. Twice, I ran the bike in place for 15-20 minutes (the weather was too bad to ride). Each time I disconnected the float charger while running the bike. It started OK both times. The third time, the battery was completely dead.

Anybody have a suggestion? Thanks.

· Registered
2,402 Posts
If none of the above pan out you should check the bike's charging system. Also, if it was just idling the whole time you were running it, it could have been drawing more than the bike was putting out. At around 3000 rpm or higher you should be seeing at least 14 volts at the battery, but no more than 14.5. At idle that could drop to 12 volts or even less.

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. There's a lot of possibilities. But the thing that strikes me odd is this: It looks like (1) something is draining the battery, and (2) the float charger isn't put anything back in. Like maybe TWO things are wrong. And its a long shot that two things go wrong at the same time. UNLESS the float charger is responsible for both things. If that's possible. I need to figure out how to test the float charger.

Also, the battery cranked the engine really good 10 days ago, and again 5 days ago. It didn't sound like it was getting weak at all. Then 5 days ago, completely dead.

· Registered
100 Posts
Perhaps a silly question...I assume you attach the charger via one of the "standard" two wire connectors (one covered, one exposed). Make sure the polarity is correct. I've run into issues in that regard. If it's a new modern charger, the charger won't care (meaning sparks/fuses etc.)...it just won't charge till it's correct.

· Registered
593 Posts
Charge the battery with a normal charger, stop useing the float charger, see what happens.
Always good to wire a little voltmeter somewhere so you can keep an eye on battery voltage whilst it is stood and when running. Something like this.

· Registered
2,402 Posts
Besides a tiny amount of current to keep your electrical settings, the main things that can draw current with the key off are the underseat light, and (if you turn the key too far left) the parking lights. If not this then likely one or more of the other things mentioned.

A voltmeter is one of the first things I add to a new bike, ever since years ago a bad stator left me stranded.

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, the polarity was correct. I tried regular charger without the float charger. It slowly loses its charge that way (over several weeks). Thanks for the voltmeter link. I ordered one. Thanks to all for your advice. It is greatly appreciated!

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I charged the battery to 100%. Ran the bike in place for 20 mintes. Checked the battery afterwards, and its still 100%. So I don't think there's a bike short or a problem with the bike's charging system. I'm thinking the float charger must be causing the problem. Or maybe this float charger doesn't work properly with the battery in the bike (the manual doesn't specify). When the voltmeter arrives, I'll do some testing of the float charger. Thanks again to all.

· Registered
163 Posts
Thanks guys. There's a lot of possibilities. But the thing that strikes me odd is this: It looks like (1) something is draining the battery, and (2) the float charger isn't put anything back in. Like maybe TWO things are wrong. And its a long shot that two things go wrong at the same time. UNLESS the float charger is responsible for both things. If that's possible. I need to figure out how to test the float charger.

Also, the battery cranked the engine really good 10 days ago, and again 5 days ago. It didn't sound like it was getting weak at all. Then 5 days ago, completely dead.
A mantra for you:
Ooooommmmmm
A float charger is not a battery charger
Ooooommmmmm
A float chager is not a battery charger
Ooooommmmmm
A float charger is not a battery charger
Ooooommmmmm . . .

Harbor Freight has small wall wart style battery chargers and float chargers. From three feet away they look the same, but they are different.

Read the lable on the wart. The float charger puts out 13.something volts at a tiny fraction of an amp and the charger puts out 14.something volts at a tiny fraction of an amp.

· Administrator
18,251 Posts
AGM batteries like a charge closer to 14 volts where standard flooded acid batteries like closer to 12.5 volts DC.

My 1967 Honda 305 Superhawk had this stupid "PARKING" light in the ignition switch.

Reactions: Rusty J and Tromper

· Registered
163 Posts
AGM batteries like a charge closer to 14 volts where standard flooded acid batteries like closer to 12.5 volts DC.

My 1967 Honda 305 Superhawk had this stupid "PARKING" light in the ignition switch.
Stupid parking lights and fie on the under seat light too. I drained the battery one day while at physical therapy because of them and another night at home. What is even worse is the switch for the under seat light. That got my battery a couple times too. I eventually pulled the bulb out and soldered a plug in its place for charging my CPAP battery when traveling.

· Registered
10 Posts
If your using one of those $8 float chargers from Harbor Freight- throw it in the garbage. They charge batteries but don’t allow for a drain then recharge. Get a decent battery maintainer. Menards sells a perfectly fine one for $20

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If your using one of those $8 float chargers from Harbor Freight- throw it in the garbage. They charge batteries but don’t allow for a drain then recharge. Get a decent battery maintainer. Menards sells a perfectly fine one for $20
Steve,
Thanks for the tip. And yes, I've been using a Harbor Freight charger. I found the Menards maintainer you suggested, and ordered it. Thanks again.

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Last post on this problem. I've been using the charger from Menards for several days now. It works perfectly. The bike cranks and starts great. In case you need one: It is a Performax charger and maintainer. It costs about $20. And I wouldn't have found it without Suzuki Steve's tip. Thanks to all.

· Premium Member
884 Posts
Like to add to this. I don't feel it's necessarily the brand Harbor Freight vs Menards but the actual charger/float/maintainer being used. Harbor Freight offers several of the same brand "Cen-Tech" which is what I use. The correct unit for the correct application must be used. (Mine is a Harbor Freight Cen-Tec) for use on AGM batteries $21.00 bucks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts