Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you use a trickle charger? How would I install the one with a pigtail? What's the life expectancy of the battery? Do any of you remove the battery if you don't ride for 2 months? 3 months?

Is once a week riding enough to keep the battery charged up? What's the cracking amps of the stock battery? When the battery dies did you buy an aftermarket battery or stay with the stock? I've seen aftermarket batteries with more amps.

Once I get another bike the charge of the battery becomes an important issue. Any advice is appreciated. Comments on the Burg 400 and 650 are welcome.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
http://www.motobatt.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=93&year=03-12&cc=400&manufacturer_id=49&category_id=64&model_id=1699

Will this outlast the OEM battery?

It's an AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery. If you contact the guys at http://www.motobatt.com , be sure to tell them you are from BurgmanUSA as they give dealer pricing to BurgmanUSA members and ship out USPS priority mail. Use the 800-226-4508 number (the one of the website is/was out of service) and ask to speak to Carl or Randy.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Techco

The ULTIMATE AGM Battery for your Burgman for $44.95
I thought I would pass along one of my connections to my fellow Burgman riders.

I was a mechanic for years and always purchased batterys wholesale from Sunn Battery in Jacksonville. My OEM battery died this morning (on a 2007 Burgman 650, go figure :shock: :sad: :???: ) so I called my salesman “Randy” and he told me about a new battery they had patented and developed.

It’s the Motobatt Quadflex (AGM) Absorbed Glass Mat Technology Battery. It also has four terminals (think accessories). Best of all wholesale cost is $44.95. Not a misprint $44.95, retail is $73.95. Note: This is a 200 CCA Battery and includes a two year free replacement warranty… :iconbiggrin: :iconbiggrin:

If you would like one call Sunn Battery in Jacksonville Florida and ask for Randy, he can be reached at (904) 354-4508. Tell him you are a member of Burgmanusa to get the wholesale price. They are located at 1316 W Adams St Jacksonville, FL 32204. They will ship anywhere… Randy also has batteries for almost anything else you can think of at wholesale prices.

Here is a link to their Motobatt Website http://www.motobatt.com/ . There is also a cross reference guide on this site for all of their battery sizes.
Attached Thumbnails

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
All tho it's not a 400, the OEM battery in my 650 lasted 8 years, and replaced it 2 years ago with a glass matt one for Fleet Farm ($50).

The only time I used a trickle charger was in winter for storage. I plugged it in about 1/2 hr once a month.

I routinely get 7 -9 years out of a battery, Cars, trucks, M/C, ATV, lawnmowers, etc.

My dad would buy a battery every year, and he always had them on a charger.

My belief is that you can over charge (Cook) a battery, by charging when it's not needed.

·
Registered
724 Posts
All tho it's not a 400, the OEM battery in my 650 lasted 8 years, and replaced it 2 years ago with a glass matt one for Fleet Farm ($50).

The only time I used a trickle charger was in winter for storage. I plugged it in about 1/2 hr once a month.

I routinely get 7 -9 years out of a battery, Cars, trucks, M/C, ATV, lawnmowers, etc.

My dad would buy a battery every year, and he always had them on a charger.

My belief is that you can over charge (Cook) a battery, by charging when it's not needed.
Thanks. The Burg 400 seems easy to replace the battery. So, it's an non issue for me (based on the research here).

Is the Battery on the 650 easy to replace?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
What's the life expectancy of the battery?
You live in Florida, Burgmanmaniac. With good care, your battery will last two years. It is POSSIBLE that you'll get more out of it, but more likely that you'll get less. There's something about the heat and humidity down here which is unusually hard on the poor things.

On the bright side, it was in the low 80s today, while much of the country was still white with snow.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You live in Florida, Burgmanmaniac. With good care, your battery will last two years. It is POSSIBLE that you'll get more out of it, but more likely that you'll get less. There's something about the heat and humidity down here which is unusually hard on the poor things.

On the bright side, it was in the low 80s today, while much of the country was still white with snow.
So which replacement battery did you choose for your Burgman?

·
Registered
341 Posts
I would think the motoblatt battery is better than the Yuasa.
Motoblatt - 200 CCA - $45 - 2 year replacement
Yuasa - 175 CCA - $75 - good luck with this one

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

With this Video I'll be able to replace a B650 battery with ease provided the '13 is the same as Ledude's 650. I hope the oil change is the same as well.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would think the motoblatt battery is better than the Yuasa.
Motoblatt - 200 CCA - $45 - 2 year replacement
Yuasa - 175 CCA - $75 - good luck with this one
Your post is incorrect:

Burgman 400- Motoblatt has 160 CCA while Yuasa has 175 CCA

Burgman 650- Motoblatt has 200 CCA while Yuasa has 240 CCA

The evidence seems to favor the OEM battery over Motoblatt. But, the price difference probably tilts the value factor (cost/months of life) in favor of the Motoblatt.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
So which replacement battery did you choose for your Burgman?
I haven't replaced the Burgman's battery yet; I only just got her on Halloween Day. With my Connie, I always used the Yuasa battery - largely because my local shop kept one in stock just for me. They also kept a Metzler 880 tire in stock for me. Sure wish they'd survived the Great Recession. :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts