Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My machine has been fine but I had a niggling feeling it wasnt starting quite as quickly, ( nothing definite, you know when something sounds differant ). Anyway came out to it one morning and when I pressed the starter switch, just a CLICK. I used some jump leads and a spare car battery and it started no problems. Rode for another couple of weeks and then when I came out of work, would not start, simply the Clicking sound under the front fairing again. Borrowed a jump starter from work, started ok. I know I have read on this forum that this is typical of when the battery fails. So Having ridden fine after jump starting I assumed charging circuit all must be ok so I purchased a new battery. Installed and it started fine. But this is where my troubles began, a few weeks later, it wouldnt start again. Put battery on charge and it started ok. So I figured maybe its my Oxford Hotgrips, so I pulled the fuse on them, Came out next day, dead again. Charged old battery, and installed this, started fine today. After work to today before starting and it read 12.7volts on the battery and 14.7volts with the engine running. I am thinking maybe they have sold me a duff battery. I am going to maybe wire the hotgrips through the ignition so they definitely go off when the ignition is off ( I know there are threads on that for me to check ). Any thoughts very welcome.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Well, i would not think it would be the Oxford Hotgrips, I used to have a Power Inverter 400W/AC/DC, and 110v AC Stereo system, that's more drain then the Oxford Hotgrips, and i have lots of LEDS two 5W Leds two 3W,two 5W, two 1.5W, four 1w,leds. No Problem with all of this stuff. i no longer run the Power inverter + 110v AC Stereo system any more just a 12v 60Watt Stereo.

you might want to check your Regulator,Rectifier Asse, this part was recalled at some point, and make sure the Key is not turned all the way when locking your steering Column.

Elliott,

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Dumb question, but it might help. Is your trunk light staying on?

Chris

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Good Point Chris, that will eat lots of power!!! i replaced mines with leds but Still eat lots of Juice, The Switch that Trigger the Under seat light ,Check it all so, I Notice mines was Broken and you could Pull out the PIN, Check it at night time ,Close it while looking Between the Sides as your closing the Seat. Switch must be Center.

Left OFF Center Triggered ON or OFF Thru Relay Right ON

·
Premium Member
8,152 Posts
Elliott Larron said:
Good Point Chris, that will eat lots of power!!! i replaced mines with leds but Still eat lots of Juice, The Switch that Trigger the Under seat light ,Check it all so, I Notice mines was Broken and you could Pull out the PIN, Check it at night time ,Close it while looking Between the Sides as your closing the Seat. Switch must be Center.

Left OFF Center Triggered ON or OFF Thru Relay Right ON

and it never kills the battery after you cut and cap the wires after the switch fails :twisted:

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Make sure the regulator has not failed, overcharging a battery will kill it faster than undercharging--monitor the voltage at 5000 to 6000 engine RPM and make sure it remains less that 15.5V...

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I dont think its the trunk light, as I alsways leave it switched off and only switch it on when I need it, also I am anal about checking I dont put the parking lights on ( been caught out with both the trunk light and parking lights before. ) As I say I disconnected the hotgrips and everything has been ok. I have measured the battery before I start the bike and every morning and evening it has reads 12.7 volts every time. So maybe it was the hotgrips. The dealer installed these when the bike was new and as the Oxford instructions say they are wired directly to the battery. I may re-connect them with an isolation switch, that way I can isolate them when not in use, that will be easier than installing a relay, the only problem would be if I forgot to switch it off.

I now have a spare battery ( fits in the right hand side of the gloe box perfectly ).

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
The advantage to adding a relay into the circuit, is it works automatically.

Chris

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aaarrrgggghhhh. Having disconnected the hotgrips its been fine all week. Then this morning, just the click from the relay under the fairing. No stater at all. Tried to jump start it, no differant. So now I have two problems. 1, my Burgman wont start. :( 2, I have come to work in my wifes car. She is going to go loopy when she gets up and finds she cant go out today now! :?

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Are you riding it far enough?

Lots of 5-10 minute trips aren't will discharge your battery over time because it isn't long enough to replace the jolt that starting takes out of it.

·
Premium Member
8,152 Posts
andystracey said:
Aaarrrgggghhhh. Having disconnected the hotgrips its been fine all week. Then this morning, just the click from the relay under the fairing. No stater at all. Tried to jump start it, no differant. So now I have two problems. 1, my Burgman wont start. :( 2, I have come to work in my wifes car. She is going to go loopy when she gets up and finds she cant go out today now! :?

a fritzed battery can keep a jump start from working, if it has a shorted cell inside or some other reason it is getting more of the incoming juice than the starter motor, not knowing if your "dead " battery was still connected when you tried to jump start it kind of fogs the problem, I would be interested to know if you can start the bike, disconnect the battery and have the bike continue to run, however on computer controlled charging systems only after another 2009 has disconnected and continued to run , any volunteers out there ?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fingers crossed, but the solution actually was very simple. I discussed this with a non burgman riding friend ( his last bike was a Ducati 595, not my cup of tea ). Anyway, he sugested the new battery needed a full charge, so with nothing to loose, I took the battery off, took it into one of the car/van workshops at work and put in on one of their battery chargers. ( I work at the local Police HQ where they fit the vehicles, all the lights radios etc make batteries go flat regularly ). Left it for 6 hours then fitted it back on my Burgman and its been ok. It seems the charge circuit on the bike, in 30 minute journeys was not giving it enough of a charge. So the lesson learned is, if you get a new battery, charge it fully, and as mikeyMarine says the electronic battery optimiser did not know what to do with it. I have my grin back. :D

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Great!! Glad your on the Cloud Nine, Each Morning i go to MC Donald's for Coffee and Muffin, after words i drive around for 15 - 20 minutes Or So to put the power Back in the Battery, each week you want to Plug in the Charger 3 Times a Week, and Once Sunday, I was thinking that my battery was up, Becuze for the last few Days or so it's been Cold 46' in the Mornings , So a weak Battery with Low Power, will not start Since cold weather Drains battery's of a few Amps & Volts, But my battery's OK! that was not the case Since charging it, it starts up on the coldest days now!!

Elliott,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts