Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately many questions on battery longevity for Burgman scoot, battery replacement and electrical problems caused by poor or bad battery, here is good article on battery, bit long but well worth time reading.

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/motor_battery.php

·
Registered
341 Posts
Good article Cherie.
I liked this info- I've experienced it.

From the article-
A 20 amp hour battery may start performing like a 16 amp hour (or smaller) battery, losing voltage rapidly under load and failing to maintain sufficient voltage during cranking to operate the bike’s ignition system. This last condition is evident when the engine refuses to fire until you remove your finger from the start button. When you release the starter, the battery voltage instantly jumps back up to a sufficient level. Since the engine is still turning briefly, the now energized ignition will fire the spark plugs.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Thanks. It is a good article.

Battery Tender question: Battery Tender has 1.5 amp and 5 amp models - I'm assuming that the 5 amp will get the battery up to full/float faster (an hour or two instead of overnight). Is the 5 amp meant for a car battery and perhaps overkill for a moto batt?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks. It is a good article.

Battery Tender question: Battery Tender has 1.5 amp and 5 amp models - I'm assuming that the 5 amp will get the battery up to full/float faster (an hour or two instead of overnight). Is the 5 amp meant for a car battery and perhaps overkill for a moto batt?

IMHO 5 amp is for automobile type vehicle, smaller smart charger up to 1.5 amp excellent for bike.

This work very well for me last 8-9 year, never change OEM battery on 2005 650 it about 6 y.o when purchased new 2009 650 in may 2010, 2005 still have OEM battery when trade in, 2009 650 OEM battery put in to 2009 bike in march 2009 still in bike at present time, so that 5 year now.

Battery tender have same size, Yuasa, Techmate Optimate, Battery tender, Noco and many many more that simply have brand name change on sticker all make smart chargers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts