Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I'm looking for info on the battery for a 2000 AN400 I've recently bought a new battery, charged up fully starts bike first time, then leave it run for 10 mins, smooth, then turn off and wont start up again, I'm wondering if this is my regulator rectifier not charging up battery properly?
Could I have a bad earth somewhere? Bike just had a total revamp.
Also does it matter which way up does battery sit, terminals at the bottom or terminals at top?

Thanks Baz

·
Premium Member
14,256 Posts
Even if you have a charging problem, a fully charged battery should run and start the bike for a lot more than 10 minutes.

You may have a wiring problem or the new battery may be bad. That does happen from time to time. Check to make sure you do not have a loose connection somewhere.

It's fairly easy to check your charging system. Charge the battery up then crank the bike. With a volt meter test the voltage at the battery terminals with the bike revved up to 5,000 rpm. You should be seeing somewhere around 14 to 15 volts. If not you could have a regulator/rectifier problem or a stator problem.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Hmmm my 400 battery sets with terminals down, I'm not sure that the lead wires would connect, if terminals were switched and on the top.

Don't rule out that a new part- including a battery- could be no good. angry9:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I'd suggest:

- a quick visual inspection of the battery wiring, make sure the red goes to the positive (+) and the wires ends are in good condition.
- Then with a tester:
a) test the battery voltage (with the bike off) shouldn't be less than 9Volts (otherwise the battery is faulty)
b) with the bike running test the load, should be more than 12 Volts. (otherwise I'd check the rectifier)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts