Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to start the Burgman this morning and nothing happened. The battery was completely dead :x ! I went to charge it and the charger said it was a bad battery. I don't think that I left on the park light but maybe I did :oops: . I wouldn't think that it would completely kill a battery though. Has anyone had a problem similar to this?

·
Registered
30,278 Posts

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Parking light could do it. However, there are other reasons for premature battery failure. One is when an internal cell shorts out. When this happens, the battery must be replaced - it will not take a charge. I've been unlucky enough to experience this several times with motorcycle batteries, and once with a car battery. This can be caused by a sulfate deposit causing the cell to short out, or sometimes by an internal battery weld breaking. If you cannot recharge the battery with your charger, a dead cell might be the problem. I'd take it to your dealer and see if they can recharge it. With the proper equipment, they can determine if a dead cell is the cause.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Battery

I had exactly the same problem with my new 400. Charged it the first time it happened, but the second time, my dealer's test showed the battery strong, but with a bad cell. If you remove it and have your dealer test the cells, maybe you can avoid a repeat. I wonder if this is a common problem with the stock 400 batteries?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Doctor K said:
Went out to start the Burgman this morning and nothing happened. The battery was completely dead :x ! I went to charge it and the charger said it was a bad battery. I don't think that I left on the park light but maybe I did :oops: . I wouldn't think that it would completely kill a battery though. Has anyone had a problem similar to this?
Hi Doc - good diagnosis but do not give up on the patient just yet! There are resuscitation possibilities. :wink:

If you have the Optimate/Accumate type charger just keep on going - they have a 'de-sulphating profile'. Just check a regular check on the battery case external temperature - warm is OK but any really hot spots - bad ju ju!

I recovered a friend's battery - he was going to throw it away. It took a few goes - but I now have a useable spare!! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yep, ditto here. Battery had been on constant maintenance trickle since new then one morning deadness. Took it out and took thes sealing plugs out of the cell tops to find buggar all electrolyte in three cells and other three just visible below the plates. Topped up with distilled water and charged. No more dramas.
That was 3 months ago and I no longer connect my maintenance charger.
When it does eventually die I might try a Gel filled battery (as on the TMax)
Bazza

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update

Spoke with the dealer this afternoon. He said that he wants the bike in to check the charging system as they have had some trouble with it and the underseat light. Sometime this week, between work and family commitments, I am taking it up to them. I will update the group on the status. Thanks for all of your help.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Jilm, regarding the dealer statement about "charging problems"....don't know it it relates or not, but a buddy of mine is having headlights blown out regularly on his 400. His lights burn about twice as bright as my 400.
Dealer hasn't yet come up with any firm idea of the whats causing this.
Wonder if your dealer has any ideas, and/or, if the charging problem might be related?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Doctor K said:
I don't think that I left on the park light but maybe I did :oops: .
Parking light? What parking light?

·
Super Moderator
18,084 Posts
Turning the key past lock will make the tail light come on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Doctor K said:
This happened to me with my "old" AN400 (now I own an AN650). I started the Burgy with start cables connected to my car and made a small trip to recharge the battery. After a few days: the same story. Then I bought a battery charger and gave the battery a good charge. After a few days: the same story.
The "empty" battery had a voltage of about 10 volts. To my knowledge this indicates that one of the internal cells broke down. With this I convinced the dealer to replace the battery under warranty.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I finally got my Burgermeister back! :lol: The dealer said that although I keep my light switch off, the toggle switch that is supposed to shut off the light when the seat closes was messed up and was drawing the battery down at all times. They fixed it and all was covered by the warranty. He said though that if several months had passed, he wasn't sure that the battery would have been covered. :shock: Finally, I have it back; however, last week, when the bike was in the shop, was the dry season in Pittsburgh. I did ride the wife's Honda around. Now we are getting what is left of the rain from Frances so the next two to three days are shot. Hopefully the weekend is nice.

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
Jim,

Glad to hear they got it fixed for you. Since the battery died due to another problem with the bike, it should be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Doctor K said:
The dealer said that although I keep my light switch off, the toggle switch that is supposed to shut off the light when the seat closes was messed up and was drawing the battery down at all times. They fixed it and all was covered by the warranty. He said though that if several months had passed, he wasn't sure that the battery would have been covered.
Well that sure sounds weird. I keep my underseat light switched off too, figure it is one less thing that can go wrong, and I seldom ride at night. (I did ride home in the dark tonight though - the daylight hours are getting shorter & kind of caught me by surprise!) If the dealer was right, it must have been a short in the switch causing the battery drain.

Motorcycle batteries are almost always warranteed for 12 months. With a new machine, I don't know if that warranty runs from the date you bought the machine - or from the date the battery was installed in the machine, which could be months earlier. Heck, if it is from install date, and you bought a prior year leftover, the battery could be out of warranty when you purchase the machine! Interesting question. Does anyone know for sure when the warranty period starts?

·
Registered
367 Posts
pauljo said:
Does anyone know for sure when the warranty period starts?
If I remember correctly, your warranty is from when you picked (bought)up the bike. Your dealer is going to provide the replacement and cover the warranty.
I think, again if I remember what was explained to me, the only things that aren't covered are brakes and tires.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Doctor K said:
I finally got my Burgermeister back! :lol: The dealer said that although I keep my light switch off, the toggle switch that is supposed to shut off the light when the seat closes was messed up and was drawing the battery down at all times. They fixed it and all was covered by the warranty. He said though that if several months had passed, he wasn't sure that the battery would have been covered. :shock: Finally, I have it back; however, last week, when the bike was in the shop, was the dry season in Pittsburgh. I did ride the wife's Honda around. Now we are getting what is left of the rain from Frances so the next two to three days are shot. Hopefully the weekend is nice.
Thanks for the feedback Doc.

Not sure about that switch tho' - sounds like a bit of a 'dealer tall tale' to me but an expert opinion from AJ would help clarify.

It reminds me though I must get the DVM out and measure the current draw while my bike is shut down. Been meaning to do that for a while now. So another thanks is due to you. Thanks :wink:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
NormanB said:
It reminds me though I must get the DVM out and measure the current draw while my bike is shut down. Been meaning to do that for a while now. So another thanks is due to you. Thanks :wink:
Yah... For a guy who who is uncomfortable with "electrickery", you can sure talk the talk. :wink:

I'm pretty sure I understand what you said though. I'm guessing DVM stands for Darn VoltMeter. :?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
pauljo said:
Yah... For a guy who who is uncomfortable with "electrickery", you can sure talk the talk. :wink:

I'm pretty sure I understand what you said though. I'm guessing DVM stands for Darn VoltMeter. :?
I can do simple stuff - and I mean real simple stuff, but I do struggle with circuit diagrams and 'on vehicle' fault finding. I only have the digital volt meter thanks to the kindness of a Mercedes Forum member in the States! - otherwise it would be down to my 30 year old analogue which is rubbish for vehicle work.

This DVM (similar to below) was on offer at Sears and they did not ship to UK!!

The offer had been mentioned on the forum and when I tried to order and failed - I mentioned it in passing in the same thread. Later a PM arrived from one of the guys. He had picked 2 up one for himself and one for me!!

What nice people!! :) [/url]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts