Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start off that I HATE the battery location, tipped into the glove box. Jebuss there are a couple design committees at Suzi that I would eliminate, when I Am King , and the battery group is second or third on the list. Perfectly not the right height and direction for me to work on. hateit hateit hateit.

Let me add that I tried to push the battery wires back out of the way a bit ( the lugs were hanging up on the battery when I slid it back ) so naturally the negative wire fell out of the glove box entirely and I had to re-remove the front fairing again to feed it back in, no way to finesse it back in without. Put a fishing line on them if you are tempted to do the same.

Even more so because the nuts on my battery terminals looked like the right things but were too small to properly lock up when laying on its side, so engaging the lug screws was frustrating.

Next is the fact that the battery , code stamped xx11 (2011?, as seller described) metered um-OK on the bench, and even seems to power things up initially, not to mention the truth that it started the bike fine the couple times I fired it up before I commenced this minor "welcome to my stable" teardown ... but the soon as I hit the starter yesterday, I got squat. At best rapid clicks out of some relay up front. Metering the battery installed was almost a random event; 10V now , 5V then, 0 on occasion, 12.5V sometimes. Just weirdness. So I got to enjoy the whole battery remove & reinstall gambit maybe 4 times before completely resigned to buying a new battery. Darnit.

Seems the battery has some bad internals usually revealed when the battery is tipped into position.
Thats new to me, but then I was never daft enough to meter a battery on its side.
So that brings me to my plea -

I need a battery. Darnit.
Meanwhile some 100,000 sale 99.9% happy rating "mrssuperdeals" bloke on Ebay is selling off BikeMaster TruGel for under $60 shipped...seems a good price.

My question is Does any one have experience or comments on B.M.'s Trugel ?

I dont like the fact they come 'pre activated" which the skeptic in me reads "clock is already ticking on the shelf for who knows how long" and the 100K seller rating means I doubt I'll get a good answer to my "manufactured when?" question. The 2 year warranty seems fair enough but shipping kills the joy in enforcing that plus two years on a cared-for battery is getting skunked in my opinion.

So anybody happy beyond measure with their TruGel ? Anyone ballistic gelled ?
Anyone have interesting "Stranded in Oz - Send Slippers" or "I jump started a Boeing jet" thanks-to-my-trugel stories ?

thanks all in advance

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Don't know where you are, however if there is a Walmart nearby (if you are in the US there has to be) drop by and look at their Everlast ES12BS. I have used their bike batteries for years with no problems of any sort. "Pricing may vary", around here they are $35 to $50 usually...

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
The "Bloke" must be in the UK but it would be nice to know fix the profile to tell others.

He may not be able to shop at Pep Boys very easy. :lol:

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Chet_Benson said:
The "Bloke" must be in the UK but it would be nice to know fix the profile to tell others.

He may not be able to shop at Pep Boys very easy. :lol:
Might be down under with the Oz reference.... :roll:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bought & received the bikemaster Truegel from "mrssuperdeals" on Ebay. $60
Battery arrived slightly under charge, trickled right up. Kid of bothers me for a "pre charged" but not the worst thing that ever arrived at the door.
Didnt see a 100% clear date code on it, possible an 11 implied.
Of course no info on durability yet, but BG TG does have an unusual 2 year warranty.
Battery is noticeably lighter than the seal / mat that came out.
Will advise this thread when i have more to report

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
"Pre-charged" means it has sufficient charge to start the engine, anything over 80% will generally do that for street vehicles unless the battery is undersized for the application.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts