Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leaving for a weekend trip tomorrow and going to get fuel and no start. Thought it was a low battery so did not try and crank it very long as normally it's easy start.

couple hours later the trickle charger showed full.

It was hard to start and had to crank for a bit as if flooded ( tho wrong terms for injection ) then caught….and settled down - it cranked for a good while without pause so battery seems okay.

Wonder if instead of low battery it was just not wanting to start earlier as the charger said it was full.

I've had this happen once before - when I opened the gas cap tonight there was quite woooosh as the pressure equalized - I was down to about 2 litres of 15.

I topped up with premium instead just to give a bit extra cleaning

I think I'll order up a battery for enroute - there is a great dealer just about on our route who is very likely to have one

Someone mentioned that the FI needed enough juice and would turn over but not fire.

But in the driveway it restarted immediately and at the service station..

ANy thoughts?

·
Administrator
18,727 Posts
The 650 have a common problem of not firing, cranks over but no POP. We have proven that you must crank the engine over while holding about 3/4 throttle and it starts to pop and then fires up.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I had the same thing with a Silverwing , it would crank but not start . I took the battery to the dealer to have checked and sure enough a couple of dead cells . Bought a new battery and it started right up .

TheReaper!

·
Premium Member
8,340 Posts
battery,
voltage and amperage, both are functions of the battery
like your wife and your girlfriend , you can have one and not the other and things will seem to be ok but won't work right, the computer module is your uh sensor, for both, and if one is not right, things don't go well, a quick charge like cheap jewelry fixes things for a while but when the green shows on that ring finger, yer gonna need a whole neeew battery

·
Registered
57 Posts
I read that the EFI will not turn on below 9 volts if I remember right. You probably have a battery issue. Also, on some vehicles, (don't know for sure about our bikes) the EFI is programmed to not put inject any gas in the engine if the throttle setting is wide open. I think it's a way to get rid of excess gas without burning it. Guess the EPA is involved.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
I will have to agree with what Dave-J posted. Sometimes the bikes will refuse to start for some unknown reason. They act like they are flooded but technically that should not happen with EFI.

It happens with both the 650 and the 400. They will usually start if you hold the throttle open while cranking them. It's happened to me on both my bikes. First time it happened was with my 07 650 about 2 days after I bought it. I trailered it back to the dealer and they got it to start by holding the throttle open while cranking it. It sputtered and ran rough when it first started but after a couple of seconds it settled down and ran smooth. They hooked it up to their analyzer but could not find anything amiss.

Over the years it has happened 3 or 4 times with my 650 and a couple of times with my 400.

That being said, it you have a battery that is producing low voltage it can keep them from starting too. That should be easy to determine with a test of the battery voltage.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bike was fine all day - spare battery is reassurance tho - lovely day on the PA 144 twisties :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts