Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody knows if there are little vent holes on the 400 battery not 650.
I was playing with my bike the other day, just learning how to take
things apart. The 400 battery sits side ways, I hope it doesn't leak, I don't like that design at all. It should sit upright like a reg battery. Most battery have vent holes, so does that mean after market battery is going to be hard to find? And the original battery from the dealer must be very
expensive, (like the headlight bulb) very special because they are all seal.

Also anyone knows the battery life on the 400?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Not on the 400, but on previous Helix and Reflex i've had 4 years without problems...never kept one longer than that.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I think these sort of batteries are common to lots of motorcycles these days. You do not need a Suzuki OEM replacement. In fact you can squeeze a higher capacity battery in - I forget - I put a 12A/H to replace what was in there an 8A/H. (memory rocky but that sort of thing).

How long does a battery last well that is the same sort of question as to how many days does your fuel last. No disrespect but it really does vary.

It depends on the quality of the original battery, commissioning procedure, quality of installation (good grounds), accurate voltage regulator (no overcharging battery) and the useage of the machine - lots of short trips - bad ju ju. See this: http://www.accumate.co.uk/MFBatteries.htm

Most m/c batterys in use are I think MF designated - not sure what that means -and vent internally I believe - might just google on it and research - but not now.

If you really want to look after your battery and never be let down, I can recommend the Optimate type battery tender - these things are quite 'clever' and will keep your battery in tip top condition. They come with a tail so you connect up to the battery posts and tuck the tail away - then when you want to plug the bike in (each night or when you are not going to use for a while) you can connect up easily and without tools.

See this: http://www.accumate.co.uk/optimate.htm

With average use I would stick my neck out and say you would be unlucky if the battery failed at the 3 year point, at shop average at 4 and fortunate at 5 years.

No doubt we have a forum member with 10 years on his motorcycle battery. :wink:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What I am trying to say is, is it easy to find an after market battery that'll
fit in there sideways and not leak because of the vents.
I thought all vents were external so that it can release pressure/gas?
I don't know about internal vents because the pressure is not going anywhere.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Most motorcycle (& a lot of auto) battery's are Maintenance Free and can lay sideways in use.
However when the time comes you can also get the newer Gel battery's .

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Randy said:
Most motorcycle (& a lot of auto) battery's are Maintenance Free and can lay sideways in use.
However when the time comes you can also get the newer Gel battery's .
Gel battery sounds interesting.
Sorry, guys I don't know much about batteries. :oops:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts