Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new thread in response to a previous battery post,
My 15, (purchased new ) has the original battery and has not yet shown a sign of weakness, I am aware they die over time and am expecting mine to go soon, usually I have found 5 years to be about max, I know it differs a lot on climate, riding time, days ridden etc etc but maybe there's some hidden knowledge out there that will help others concerning battery life.
Mostly all I can say is keep a trickle charger on it any time the temp gets below 50 F .
some aircraft I used to work on had a blanket heater on the batteries that kept them warm at altitude cause cold really weakened them in a short (1-2 hours) time and they weren't cheap or little batteries. (2 at 90 lbs each, changed every 90 days needed or not, learned some of my best cusswords haulin them things around)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
When I lived in Chicago if you had a weak battery it would not turn the car over on very cold nights. The battery would work the rest of the year accept for the 2-3 days of below zero weather. I actually took my battery from my BMW to O'Reilly yesterday to perform a load test since I have no idea how old it is. They said they do not have the equipment to do a load test on a motorcycle battery. What they can do is put it on a trickle charge and see if it takes a charge. I guess I'll check it with a volt meter. Also my 2016 Burgman battery is coming up on 5 years. Reading articles on line they say 3-5 years.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
You can do a quasi-load test on the bike just by turning on the lights and watching the battery voltage over time. Can't tell you what voltage you should see, but I would think it should hold above 11.5 for several minutes. Then when you start it up the voltage should recover fairly quickly.

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Premium Member
13,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I lived in Chicago if you had a weak battery it would not turn the car over on very cold nights. The battery would work the rest of the year accept for the 2-3 days of below zero weather. I actually took my battery from my BMW to O'Reilly yesterday to perform a load test since I have no idea how old it is. They said they do not have the equipment to do a load test on a motorcycle battery. What they can do is put it on a trickle charge and see if it takes a charge. I guess I'll check it with a volt meter. Also my 2016 Burgman battery is coming up on 5 years. Reading articles on line they say 3-5 years.
I'm not in favor of a voltage test unless it is done under a load, a battery will read good for voltage and not have enough amperage to jump start a nervous cat, a weak battery will drop voltage under a large enough ampreage drain like described above

·
Registered
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS
1,911 Posts
Replaced my battery just today while I was checking the CVT filter on my 2013 Burgman 650 ABS. I suspected the battery that was in there was original from 2013 and I suspect I am reading the date code correctly to confirm that. Do you think just over 8 years is long enough for a stock AGM type battery? 😁

There is a code stamped into the plastic on top the old battery of 130303 (year-month-day?). There is another code ink stamped into the bottom of the old battery of 130304-1. It was still working just fine but I am planning a long-ish trip from central Iowa to North central TN in another week so didn't want to be at some remote camp ground with a dead battery. I do always carry mc jumper cables just in case but still...

The battery I put in came compliments of Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P6Z7TV3?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

I know the Ah is .2 less than OEM (12Ah vs 12.2Ah) but I think this one will work fine for me. I usually plug into my battery maintainer if I don't ride for a few weeks but that is rare. I usually ride every month of the year even when temps go well below freezing for 3 months in a row.

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
I was shocked to find out that Texas Heat was as bad as Ohio Cold on batteries and windshield wipers. You can’t escape it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts