Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang! Long time no visit.

My cheap battery from three years ago proved to be just that; cheap. Time for a new one. Yuasa's website specifies the YT12A-BS for the Burgman 400, and emphasizes it be of the "Factory Activated" variety rather than the fill your own AGM type.

Burgman USA's excellent Knowledge Base lists the Yuasa YTX9-BS, which I can get on Amazon by Monday for $58, but it is the fill your own type.

Are people finding the seals on the fill your own type battery are adequate for laying on their side without leaking?

Thanks, and it is good to see some familiar folk still around,
Steve

·
Registered
36 Posts
I replaced my original Suzuki battery (not a Yuasa) with a Walmart knock-off 5 years ago after having gone through 2 dealer replacements, never had a leakage issue with the self-fill AGM. What I've noticed on these so-called maintenance-free, sealed forever batteries, is that they really aren't! (maintenance-free, that is). Once a year when I have the thing apart for other maintenance, I pull the battery and check the cells. Every time one or two of them will need a few ML of water. So, if you go the self-fill route, after the fluid has soaked for a while, take a good look at the level (mine was just barely up to the top of the mats) and check it every year. I have no doubt that the 'factory activated' version would be the same.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I guess no one else buys batteries...

I ordered the Yuasa fill it yourself battery.

Steve

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
smorris said:
Thanks, I guess no one else buys batteries...

I ordered the Yuasa fill it yourself battery.

Steve
I am on my 2nd battery now..........after just 2 years with the factory battery - and went to the dealer and got a fiberglass "GEL" battery... for about $68.00 installed... So far - no problems at all.....!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
368 Posts
My OEM battery died last summer after almost three years. It was not a Yuasa but a brand that I had never heard of.

I bought a Yuasa YT12A-BS from my dealer although it was pricey it was immediately available. Plus, I want to keep him in business and don't want him to close down like my previous (and closer to home) dealer did. It was ready to go and all I had to do was install it.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Tony,

I ordered the YTX9-BS from Amazon. Our local dealer closed, so I'm not undercutting anyone's business. I also needed to get a new battery from my Vespa. It arrived today and I just filled it and it is charging. The other battery arrives tomorrow. After I fill and charge it, I think I'll lay it over to make sure it doesn't leak!

The Yuasa web site shows that there are apparently fill it yourself and factory activated versions or most of these batteries, and the model designation doesn't indicate that. There's a fill your own YTX9-BS and a factory activated YTX9-BS.

Today I also received and installed a new saddle strut from details in another thread. Wow is it nice not to have to hold the saddle up with my shoulder!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts