Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I have a 2007 400. I bought used in 2/13. It had 67k miles on it and I put 2k on it this past year so I'm at 69k. What I'm asking is general info I need to know to take better care of my bike. List of basic tools I need. List of maintenance. Along with some how tos to accompany. I'm a beginner when it comes to any dyi stuff but its time to learn. This is my first vehicle and I want to do it right. High mileage bike with a newbie owner. Any and all info is welcome.

1)I would like to mention my repairs since I've owned the bike. A month after I purchased from dealership the bike stopped accelerating. The bike turned on and the engine revved when I pulled the throttle but no acceleration. Took it in and they said my axle bolt fell off or something. 400-500$
2) belt broke-300$
3) exact same situation as number 1. But this had something to do with the rear wheel. I guess there is something in the rear wheel that wasnt tightened properly during repair #2 and something was stripped. I don't know but I spent 400$ on a new rear wheel rim.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Welcome to the forum, mdstamper - glad you found us!

We're all beginners at the DIY thing when first we start. But now that you're here, you'll have more advice than you can shake three sticks at. I'm going to hold off on giving advice, since mine is the 650 version, but there are plenty of happy 400 riders here who can help with practically anything.

I think that $1200 in repairs in the past year is WAY too much, though each of us has his own comfort level.

·
Registered
511 Posts
>>I think that $1200 in repairs in the past year is WAY too much<<

But then again, with 69K on the clock I'm not too surprised. It could be the previous owner did little or nothing in the maintenance dept.

·
Registered
182 Posts
There are a lot of places you can take your scooter to get it fixed, but you have probably come to the BEST place to learn how to fix it yourself. Burgman scooters like any other mechanical item will fail if not properly maintained. With nearly 70,000 miles on the clock, it was due for some sort of maintenance. With the failures you experienced, the maintenance was overdue. What it looks like you paid for was the previous owners (PO) neglect. If you had owned this scooter from new, it is likely you would be on your third belt, perhaps 4th, belt depending on your riding they are good for 20k-30K miles. It doesn't cost $300.00 to replace the belt except at a Suzuki dealer, or someone looking to make an extra buck. Belts go for around $100.00 with premium belts around $150. You CAN pay more, but check around. Stay away from the Chinese junk. This includes ALL PARTS.

Without looking at your failed parts, it is difficult to offer any suggestions. I will say this though. The variator and clutch will need servicing much like the clutch on a standard transmission does. This is where you can save yourself the labor charges and do the job yourself. The knowledge base on this forum can get you pointed in the right direction,but you must work the wrenches.

BOTTOM LINE: You shouldn't normally be expected to pay that much money for repairs after 2k miles of ownership, however as I said, after nearly 70k, it isn't excessive, it sounds like you paid the freight on another mans load. Now ride it and enjoy.

·
Registered
413 Posts
exactly why I learned to work on my own cars and bikes. Everytime you take it in for a repair you end up with another failure and its never "their fault". Just a random thing the axle bolt comes off after they change your belt. I just got tired of hearing it and paying for it.

I became amazing at how reliable my vehicles are when I do the maintenance and fix things myself. I care enough not to break everything in my way which I am not always convinced they are.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Ok so I have a 2007 400. I bought used in 2/13. It had 67k miles on it and I put 2k on it this past year so I'm at 69k. What I'm asking is general info I need to know to take better care of my bike. List of basic tools I need. List of maintenance. Along with some how tos to accompany. I'm a beginner when it comes to any dyi stuff but its time to learn. This is my first vehicle and I want to do it right. High mileage bike with a newbie owner. Any and all info is welcome.
I thuink asking too much information at one time. But, I understand the situation. Best thing to do is look thru this Forum and become familiar with the Forum.

My limited experience with the 400 would say -- You need to find out how to change fluids (especially engine oil & filter and final drive oil). Then look into removing the CVT CASE to get to the Belt and Pulleys for at least an imnspection. Expand that to a Belt Replacement. All of that is available on the FORUM with some searching.

Going into the clutch assmebly itself looks more complicated in terms of special tools for compresing the springs, etc.

I have not done either the belt or clutch as of this time (only 7200 miles so far), but I did take the case cover off at 5500 miles to just inspect things. Plus you have to take the case off on my 2011 model to change the final drive oil.

Removing the case cover was a learning process in itself due to the the fact the bearing and shaft were nearly inseparable. I did not know you could do it with two bolts (someone on the Forum informed me, but I did not wait for the information and pried the cover off - surprised I did not break something).

I also changed the rear tire (Matter of fact, I want to a Car Tire and struggled with that due to my inexperience).

That is the only way you learn - Do It. I documented with pictures some of my efforts to remove trhe case cover, and repalce the rear tire on this FORUM. Other have done more than I have. :D

·
Registered
104 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
You can find just about everything you need to know on leDude's burgman centre here ...

https://sites.google.com/site/testburgmancenter02/

Welcome to the Forum :p
Actually LeDude's Burgman Center is for those of us who have the 650 Burgman. There is stuff for the 400 Burgman too. The OP has a Burgman 400. Maybe one of the members here will point you to that site.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't believe all the feedback I've gotten so far. Its great. Thank you all. I just changed my oil and filter.I have not changed final drive oil. That looks like a difficult task. I'm ordering a new air filter, I looked at it today and its embarrassing. So other than the final drive and air filter what next? Also, I did want to say that I'm at 48.6mpg slowly dropping from 50mpg. But I'm on the interstate for maybe 6min a day and 10min city. Doesn't take me long to get to and from work. I'm using premium 89 when I fill up. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
341 Posts
On you toob is micBergsma. Look him up. He's got tons of videos on the 400 Burg. I've only had mine since late last year.
Being the type of person I am, I want to know how things work. So, with Mitch's (micBergsma) videos playing. I learned a lot.
Take your time and get into it and have fun!
Also, I don't think I would use that dealer any more. From what you said, the things that happened to it would have been things a dealer would WANT to make didn't happen.
They are the type things that every 400 owner should know how to fix. Mine is down right now because the bearings in the clutch started growling. Thanks to a PDF download of the Suzuki manual, I figured out how to take it apart. The parts should be in tomorrow! Yay!
Glad to have you aboard!

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
will get you to a number of other videos. Check out the post I amde on here about removing the CVT Case -- I did not do it right, but other people psoted how to do it. Yours may be differnt as an older model.

I do not think that engine is designed for 89 Octane gas. Best to use lower grade gas if that is what it is designed for. Many people think because it costs more higher octane is better. It is to be used with higher compresion engines and actually has less energy than lower octane gas because the chemicals added to keep combustion from happening at higher compression ratios reduces the energy.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Does anyone have fabrication plans for Mitch's homemade "hub holder" tool? That looks like a handy devise to have in the shop.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Ok so start with the knowledge base ( top of the site) for the 400 it's broken up into the two models you want the 2007+

http://burgmanusa.com/bkb/400+b+Topic+Index

Also look for YouTube videos that have loads of examples of exactly what to do. [edit] in the time it took me to type this others proposed the same

Tools - I started off by getting a basic toolkit nothing specialized, had some smallish sockets, pliers, knife, tape etc .
I bought this at lowes before I found harbor freight http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=rel&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Try harbor freight if you don't have one close by , try autozone or oreillys for the basics.
Get a clicking torque wrench 3/8 will probably do it for most things - again harbor freight. Make sure it has lb/ft my first purchase didn't !
Other than that look at some oil change stuff, funnel, tray etc. the 400 is super easy to do

There's enough there to get you started

Also try looking for sites to buy, filters, plastic rivets ( you'll break / lose a few)
Get yourself a manual. Lots of advice on here where to buy this stuff.
I like bikebandit.com but that's me.

Final note. Google is your friend ! To look for stuff on here try this string
Site:burgmanusa.com 400 manual

Or anything after .com and you will get much better results.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Does anyone have fabrication plans for Mitch's homemade "hub holder" tool? That looks like a handy devise to have in the shop.
Several people have made them (There are pictures on the site). Last topic discssuion, guy had good idea::: Cut the long piece to reach from the Clutch Bell Housing (one hole) to the floor (meausre with bike on center stand and Clutch Bell Housing exposed). Then add the Y piece to fit another opposite hole in the Clutch Bell Housing (Of course the short piece has to be attached to the long piece - welded or bolted). ). Mark the Y piece for drilling holes to run bolts thru to fit the holes.

Turn it over and it will fit the cooling fins on the primary pulley (variator).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought this today http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/hand-tool-sets/53-piece-tool-kit-65976.html
My next project is final drive change then air filter then a new Dr pulley and slider weights. I've learned a lot in one day thanks to everyone and this forum. Now all I have to do is wait for more paychecks and little by little get it done. Aside from my oil change anything urgent anyone think I should be doing?

·
Registered
145 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Rear end oil change is very easy to do on a 400. Once you pull the CVT shield off the drain plug & fill plug are right there at the back of the CVT cover. Drain oil from bottom plug & fill until oil runs out of the top plug. Oil to be used is same as what you put in the engine. Takes about 300 ml if I remember right.;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts