Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently bought a 2003 AN650 with 230 miles on it and a Iowa Salvage Title off of EBay (scary). Owner had laid it down in the grass. Spent 2 weeks epoxying back together, mediocre paint job and new windshield. I will do a proper tear down this winter. I didn't want to waste the summer ride season with it in the garage. I love this bike; fast, quiet and easy to manuever.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Welcome! That is admirable that you've taken that risk. Risk management is something that we all deal with to one degree or another every day - bike or no bike. I commend you on your purchace and think it's way cool that you are furrowing into this particular mode of transport.

You nailed it bama - It's fast, quiet, and it handles darn good!

Good choice - I hope it all pans out.

Keep us informed of any problems or issues that may arise - I am sure taht there is someone here that can provide you with a pretty darn good "mentor nugget" for many of the questions that you may (or may not) have.

OK - ahead of time - STOP IT peanut gallery!!! :D :D :D

Take 'er easy and be safe,
Pete

"Mentor Nugget" - Cheeeese! :roll: :D

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Dee? Where's Dee? This Guy needs to talk to Dee.

Oh ScubaGirl??? Where are you?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome. If the Burgman survives my ownership it will be a miracle. When I bought it there was no owner's manual, when I started it it was making this funny noise( see many previuos posts) so I thought it was low on oil. I put a quart in and looked down the fill hole and it still looked low. I proceeded to add 3 more quarts of oil. When I started it up it was smoking like the fogger that the county uses to spray for mosquito's. I took off the exhaust system and cut the end of the muffler off( on someone's advice)so I could remove and replace the batting, only to find out that it's a muffler-within-a muffler, so that wasn't working. I used some J-B Weld to put the end cap back on and then ran about 10 gal of gas through the pipes to clean it out, than another 10 gal of soapy water to clean out the gas, worked like a charm, although I will have to replace the head gasket as the pressure created a small oil leak.

AHH the joys of motorcycle ownership. Will keep you posted on the next disaster. :roll:

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Welcome!

Welcome bama1063!

I purchased a blue 2003 AN650 with less than 200 miles from eBay...mine came from Arizona. You can see pics in the gallery at Scubagirl's Burgman. While mechanically mine seems like it might be in better shape the Tupperware was toast as you can see. Plus it was FILTHY.

I have extra parts if you need any. If not I'll be eBaying them shortly. Most are brand new ordered from Suzuki and not needed. If you are interested PM me and I'll give you a list.

I purchased the paper repair manual and it has been invaluable. If you don't have one there is a Buy It Now on eBay: AN650 Shop Manual

I would highly recommend getting it if you haven't already.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact me. I'll help in anyway I can. It has been an experience...

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I think that Ebay offering of a service manual is a printed pdf version:
This service manual is an exact replica of the factory OEM type service manual.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I purchased the Electronic Service Manual off Ebay for $10, it is pdf and not real well done(pictures a little blurry and off center) but is sufficient for my needs at present.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I just received my copy of the "exact copy" that Norman refers to & I'm very happy to say that it is a better copy than some of the factory manuals I've seen. Every drawing & picture is crisp, clear, & complete. The wiring schematics are beautiful. The whole thing is permanantly bound in a plastic binder cover on heavy paper stock.

This is some of the best copy work I've ever seen, & I mean it sincerly when I say that this "copy" is better than many of the originals I've seen. I'm very pleased with this purchase.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I am pleased to hear that Chuck - it just sounded a bit 'iffy' to me - but then I am a cynical old git. :)

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Likewise Norman, that's why I'm so pleased when something exceeds my expectations so well as this has.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts