Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to remove some of the baffles in the stock exhaust pipe ?

I don't have $500.00 to spend on an aftermarket pipe but would like a different sound than a Singer sewing machine :D

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
One fellow that had access to a machine-shop, had the end plate removed,
went in, & did some 'repair' work, & had the end plate welded back on.
If I remember right, he had determined that some of the internal baffling
had rusted loose, & was rattling around. May be the solution you're looking for.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Burgman is a 2012 and the end of the pipe cap looks to be held on with three socket head cap screws ( allen heads)

I was sort of thinking about taking the end cap off and seeing what evil restrictions are inside. But thought someone may have already done it so i thought i would ask.

·
Administrator
18,331 Posts
Doug, do a search for "3A Muffler" Techartguy has done a bunch of work. I'm sure there will be someone coming along soon shouting something about the EPA.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the price of the 3A Muffler , now i need to figure out which one will fit the Burgman and if I need to buy any other pieces to mount one or if it will just bolt on .
Any idea which one Techart Guy used ??

·
Administrator
18,331 Posts
Sean has it listed in one of his posts on the 3A. PM him and he'll respond.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
FWIW...I don't want to let Dave_J down in his predictions ;) ...the OEM muffler is also a catalytic converter.

Notice though that I didn't use the EPA word though...

Chris

·
Administrator
18,331 Posts
But when you take the baffles out and look way down in the big tube you can see the Cat Con. The 3A mod does not remove the Cat Con like a Leo Vance or other aftermarket units.

·
Registered
338 Posts
My take--tackle box techs seldom can improve on Suzuki Engineering-----want more noise buy a Harley.

Ride alot noise can be tiring. I think so much thought went into OEM muffler/Kat, that removing guts can only reduce performance----I tried after market exhaust on my TMAX and earlier Burgman 400 (2008) result noise and really didn't sound like big single ot TMAX like proper vertical twin. $500 wasted twice.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
First link is Sean's (Tech Art Guy) post. He intalled the 3A Racing on my Burgman 650K8 earlier this year. How sweet it is.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=51327&p=549015&hilit=3A+racing+exhaust#p549015

The next link will give you and idea of the sound of the 3A.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCUiOc6LpPI

The other links below can be found in the Knowledge based section of BUSA,

viewtopic.php?p=474266#p474266

viewtopic.php?p=472919#p472919

viewtopic.php?p=479771#p479771

viewtopic.php?p=470126#p470126

LoJo

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
How about repacking the muffler to restore the sound of silence? It one of the reasons I originally bought the Burgman. Can it be done?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Wasn't going to say anything, but now that the subject has been brought up:

I enjoy a throaty rumble as much as anyone, however was I a neighbor of Tech Art Guy I would find the droning racket that muffler makes to be quite annoying. It does not sound at all "good" to my ear...

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
greenheron said:
How about repacking the muffler to restore the sound of silence? It one of the reasons I originally bought the Burgman. Can it be done?
Sean (Tech Art Guy) provided a long and short baffle for the the 3A. I am using the short baffle and it's toned the sound down immensely. It was a bit loud even for my taste without the baffle. We have snow bird drivers and a great number of Seniors living here on the Space Coast. I want to be heard and seen. I find the 3A to give me just enough sound to be heard.

LoJo

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
cliffyk said:
Wasn't going to say anything, but now that the subject has been brought up:

I enjoy a throaty rumble as much as anyone, however was I a neighbor of Tech Art Guy I would find the droning racket that muffler makes to be quite annoying. It does not sound at all "good" to my ear...
I installed a baffle in the 3A thanks to Sean. It is not annoying and my neighbors are fine with it. It surely is no where near the sound of the muffler I had on a Classic Chevy truck I had. Even I was glad when the Flowmaster truck was gone.

I doubt seriously if Sean's neighbor's hears any rumble, especially since he's sold his 650K9. Sean is so resourceful and willing to help anyone with projects. I doubt if his neighbors cared about any sounds in the rural area where he resides. To each his/her own. It's a bit of a safety issue with me to be heard as well as seen. I also like a bit of "edge" sound when I throttle. I'm not a fan of the Harley's and others with loud pipes. I do find my muffler to be at acceptable decibel levels. Sean even posted the decibel levels ratings for the 3A mod on this site.

Happy Trails.

LoJo

LoJo

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
If you insist to listen to unnecessary noise, why don't you get your favorite engine noise on MP3 an listen through headphones wile you ride?

Leave the noisemaking to the Harleys. :evil:

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
So would you rather have it sound like a Singer sewing machine or an angry chain saw?

As for me, I prefer the quiet. But that's me. ON those that I've heard, that have had a bafflectomy, it does sound like an angry chain saw.

DandyDoug said:
Has anyone tried to remove some of the baffles in the stock exhaust pipe ?

I don't have $500.00 to spend on an aftermarket pipe but would like a different sound than a Singer sewing machine :D

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
QuantumRift said:
So would you rather have it sound like a Singer sewing machine or an angry chain saw?

As for me, I prefer the quiet. But that's me. ON those that I've heard, that have had a bafflectomy, it does sound like an angry chain saw.
Funny that made me think of the sound those Yamaha YZ-50's made, thought it was a swarm of angry mosquitoes. :lol:

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
hahahah....yep, sounds like an angry chain saw. LOL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts