Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cleaning up my AN650 this afternoon after a particularly buggy night ride. I like to do this because it also gives me time to look at everything close-up. This time it paid off: while cleaning the wheels I came across a huge piece of metal stuck into the rear tire. I just about needed the Charmin right then, I can tell you.

Anyway, I didn't hear any leaking and the tire wasn't flat and didn't look like it was down on air, so I hopped on and rode VERY CAREFULLY across town to my dealer. As good fortune would have it, he had a set of Pirellis in stock, so I just had him put on the pair since I was a few thousand miles from needing the front one, and wanted a matched set on there anyway.

So I'm a few shekels poorer but feel incredibly lucky, since I was planning another highway trip as soon as I got the bike cleaned up. Since the dealer (Northend Cycle, Elkhart, IN... and I HIGHLY recommend them!!!) worked me right in, I was still able to make my trip, and got to see a beautiful sunset at a beach on Lake Michigan.

Anyway, that taught me another little lesson... although it's a PITA to have to thoroughly inspect the tires before every ride, if I wouldn't have done that this time I might very well have not had such a happy ending. So, the moral of the story is this: I'm planning to check my tires before riding from now on. I'll mount the bike on the center stand and run the back tire around. The front will be a little more of a hassle, but after what I saw today, I know it's necessary. I feel like I got real lucky... :wav:

WLB :)

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I always like happy endings :D Glad you found the potential hazard before it became one. Let us know what you think of the Pirellis.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let us know what you think of the Pirellis.
It just so happens the road I was on last night (US 12 between Niles, MI and Three Oaks) is a mass of frost-type heaves and bad pavement. I'm sure in a car it's not that bad, but the heaves are enough that one gets a good 'jolt' everytime one hits one... about every 10 seconds. It makes the ride somewhat unpleasant, to say the least.

Having heard that the Pirellis softened the ride a bit, particularly under those conditions I was particularly interested to see how she'd respond.

I seemed to detect some small difference in the way it handled heaves, but not enough in my own mind I could say the difference is quantifiable. In order to really tell the difference I'd need to test the two sets back to back, which of course is not possible unless you have two identical bikes outfitted with either set of tires.

One thing I did notice was the bike seems to lay over easier in turns with the Pirellis; it seems to have increased sensitivity as well in that regard. Overall, I can say the Pirellis are quite acceptable, but I don't know that I necessarily prefer one set over the other. I'm just glad the dealer had them in stock!

One thing I did notice about the tires: I got a good look at the Bridgestones after they were off, and these tires are not cheaply made... they're very heavy and sturdy. I've always been a little leery about the "tiny moped" tires, especially relative to the monsters you see on sport bikes these days, but these tires are constructed quite robustly, especially the rear one. I feel a great deal more secure in my own mind about extended highway touring after seeing that.

I've never heard of anyone having a blow out on a Burgman. If anyone has had that experience I'd be interested in hearing about it; how fast were you going, what were the conditions at the time, and how did the bike respond?...

WLB :)

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
WLB - yor experience is exactly why the tyre companies do not endorse the use of the 'pre-emptive sealant gloop - ultraseal etc), their position is while they may effectively stop you getting a puncture - they mask what may be serious carcass damage - and indeed multiple punctures.

I am a bit anal about checking my tyres but must admit the Lardy front end is a real PITA - need to find myself some low profile rollers!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts