Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
121 - 140 of 169 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,133 Posts
i don't know ALL of my limits, Daris, but i do know some of them: really not looking to ride/own a B650

Bella, in other news, appears to also be burning oil. :(

Edited to add: you don't happen to know anyone in the Atlanta area that you'd trust to check out a bike deal, do ya?
You have Bella almost back to life….push on to where somebody can come test drive it and buy it. You don’t need it in the garage.

Buying from a dealer 500-1500 miles away is not going to help you in the future.

Place a want ad in the classified section here …. somebody here has a deal for you.

Read their past posts and the work they’ve done …. I bought both mine from the classified section here. After reading their past posts and talking to them five minutes on the phone I knew they were solid ….I mailed them personal checks for deposits and paid them the balance on pick-up.

I’m sincere in telling you BUSA and it’s active members here are A True Cut Above The Rest.

·
Registered
Blue 2007 Burgie 400
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Piston rings gummed up through standing? :unsure:
Retrievable. Spark plug out, WD40 in. Crank over and then leave 24 - 48 hrs. Restart. Worked on an 8 year standing R80st for me.
too heckin' tired & aggravated to try just yet, but suggestion noted, thanks.
But having done so few miles yet, how do you know this?
i should have more accurately said "consuming oil" at what seems an unusual rate.

can't find note on when exactly i topped it off, but i had to add about 6-8 ounces today, and i have BARELY ridden any miles in the last two months.

·
Registered
648 Posts
It's got a hexagon neither external or internal.
Picture is too blurred to tell properly, but looks "not good", to me anyway.
And as to my earlier post, ref. that fork stanchion.
Accepting what was said about humidity and all, surely if the bike has been well looked after, then the owner would have kept things like that at bay. ie.Clean and polish.
Sorry, but to me, it looks neglected.:(

they dangle a bit of gasket or seal on the 2019 are in the seam that runs down the middle of the crank case
Is this the scoot with the warranty claim?:unsure: Have never seen an untidy factory gasket like that., Esp. Japanese ones.

(I am trying to be objective here. I just don't want you to be sold a dud).

·
Registered
Blue 2007 Burgie 400
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
You have Bella almost back to life….
that doesn't feel the least bit true right now, having just this afternoon attempted another short trial run (to church campus and back) during which Bella was slightly balky on the way out, and hazard-flashers balky all the way home..

push on to where somebody can come test drive it and buy it.
feeling like that, too, is a very unlikely scenario.

You don’t need it in the garage.
poke fun if you must, but i have GOT to have a bike in the garage right now-- even if it's just this heckin' pile of frustration-- or i fear that i will give up on ever getting back on two wheels. (and the giving up would be very bad for my state of mind these days.) that's part of why i have been and remain SOOO anxious to buy something rideable before i part with... (or part out... or even keep trying to learn to wrench...) poor Bella.

plus, ya know, thinking that i might end up able to salvage Bella's backrests and whatnot.

Buying from a dealer 500-1500 miles away is not going to help you in the future.
oh, for sure, if i'm buying used i would MUCH rather buy from a vetted private seller with ability to document the bike's history than from a dealer but either way a good bike is hard to find

Place a want ad in the classified section here …. somebody here has a deal for you.
ehh, maybe. i kinda figure the active users here are actively using their bikes, aren't they?
('cept for broke-down advice-needy folx like me.)

Read their past posts and the work they’ve done …. I bought both mine from the classified section here. After reading their past posts and talking to them five minutes on the phone I knew they were solid ….I mailed them personal checks for deposits and paid them the balance on pick-up.

I’m sincere in telling you BUSA and it’s active members here are A True Cut Above The Rest.
absolutely. no argument there at all!

·
Registered
Blue 2007 Burgie 400
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
It's got a hexagon neither external or internal.
Picture is too blurred to tell properly, but looks "not good", to me anyway.
And as to my earlier post, ref. that fork stanchion.
Accepting what was said about humidity and all, surely if the bike has been well looked after, then the owner would have kept things like that at bay. ie.Clean and polish.
Sorry, but to me, it looks neglected.:(

Is this the scoot with the warranty claim?:unsure: Have never seen an untidy factory gasket like that., Esp. Japanese ones.

(I am trying to be objective here. I just don't want you to be sold a dud).
the bike with the warranty claim was a 2018 in Austin. got sold before i could get there to look at. the bike in the Shreveport photo album is a 2019 that (SUPPOSEDLY, per dealer) belonged to a local who bought it there new and traded it in on something else after a few thousand miles because the rider keeps a stable of small-medium-large rides and changes them out regular when he gets bored.

·
Registered
Blue 2007 Burgie 400
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
Have never seen an untidy factory gasket like that., Esp. Japanese ones.
yeah... i haven't LOOKED at that many, but part of what's on the 2019 looked like dangling loose weather-striping (flat, uniform end) and part of the seam looked like a sloppy rippled thin line of caulk. which-- if there's no good possible explanation for that to be found HERE, on the boards, makes that bike a questionable investment for the price

EDITED for multiple fat-fingered typos

·
Registered
648 Posts
the bike in the Shreveport photo album is a 2019 that (SUPPOSEDLY, per dealer) belonged to a local who bought it there new and traded it in on something else after a few thousand miles because the rider keeps a stable of small-medium-large rides and changes them out regular when he gets bored.
Sorry, My mistake.
Comments ref pitted forks still stand tho'. 2019, like that... :unsure:. If that rust "migrates" south, it's then into the seal area.

·
Registered
Blue 2007 Burgie 400
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
so, there's (supposedly) a private seller near Atlanta who (supposedly) bought a pair of 2016 Burgies new in 2018, says they "rode the bikes on paved backroads about 20 miles one way every few weeks when we first got them. Now we ride them about once every couple months. They have never been on an expressway so probably haven't been over 60 mph. Longest they have sit is about 3 months."

i don't particularly like the grey color, i know FULL WELL that i don't wanna deal with another rusty gas tank, and i also have to wonder about potential problems for a bike that was (supposedly) never really run up to speed, but... dagnabit, hope halfway springs eternal? that's why i asked if there was anyone in that area who could maybe check 'em out.

otherwise... i'm starting to feel like i will HAVE TO settle for and hurriedly snap up that (new) 2020 pcx150 at local dealer, before that chance vanishes, too, and invest the (smaller, cheaper bike) savings in a custom seat and decent windscreen.

am not keen on the smallness of the pcx feeling like a stiff breeze would send it curbside, or that it would only take 10 minutes for a couple of thieves to toss into the back of a truck, but lots of people who ride them for short hop stuff seem to be happy with 'em. and i maybe wouldn't mind (slow-pokedly) continuing to attempt wrenching on Bella, IF i could also be reliably riding a little each day.

·
Registered
Blue 2007 Burgie 400
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
OK, answered own question. It's the inner end of one of the crankcase bolts.:rolleyes:

View attachment 95996
where's that photo from, Blue? your bike? that gasket/seal also seems to have places of varying thickness visible.

(gahhh. sorry. still trying to decide whether or not i have definitely ruled out the 2019 in Shreveport. tilting away from it, but... unsure.)

·
Registered
Blue 2007 Burgie 400
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
YOUR album. :)
Doh!

Hadn't seen it earlier.(Should have looked). You added stuff ? while I was out all day enjoying myself.
no, all the crankcase pics went up in a batch, then the NOT crankcase stuff like the forks and whatnot later same night.

Ask them if they'll replace those bad forks
both tires were over-inflated when i checked during T-CLOCS. they probably don't have stock on hand to replace the plugged tire. i had to show them location of battery when someone brought out screwdriver (i'd left mine in car) so i could check the terminals. they're an "authorized" Suzuki dealership, but i don't think they do much AT ALL with scoots, so...

seems like maybe not great idea to have them do it, even IF they said yes.

·
Registered
Blue 2007 Burgie 400
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 · (Edited)
Buying a new ride can be a powerful drug. Been a while for me, that's why I'm getting the itch for another fix.
ahem... if you're getting the itch for a new drug ride, does that by any chance mean that you would be looking to sell the one you're on now? :unsure:

·
Premium Member
17,823 Posts
pcx,, ok, maybe you can put up with it for short runs and to help with the jonesin for a bike, if so , great, and then finish wrenchin on the 400 for longer better rides, , my experience on buying a bike I really didn't feel comfortable with, I got it in Feb, I've put nearly 5000 miles on it, I still don't like it, and am not happy riding it, but I am STUCK with it, and all the problems that come with gettiing a new bike usable if not likeable.
My 650 broke a belt because I didn't check the stopper bolt , I bought an electric so I would have a bike while I fixed the 650 and I wanted an electric before I stopped riding, so I got the Zero, I got the 650 fixed, and if I could get a buyer for the Zero I would sell it at a huge loss and buy something else. I am in a situation where I can do this , no problem. (I do hafta ask KAT , but that's all)
I understand you have limited space and with an added oil problem may need to go a different route, consider, when the fuel problem is fixed, can you ride the burgie and add oil until you find a local 400 to your liking?
It's so easy to get spoiled with a burgman, lack of problems, comfort, handling, capabilities, but then when you hafta go to something else, they all seem dog poo in comparison.

·
Registered
Blue 2007 Burgie 400
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
mikey said:
it's so easy to get spoiled with a burgman, lack of problems, comfort, handling, capabilities
you can say that again! except for the heckin' operator error problems 🤬🤬🤬 that I've jacked myself into with having let Bella lapse into a 7 year coma while I dealt with other big life stuff.

RE: the pricy 2019 in Shreveport that lacks some comfy aspects of a 2nd gen Burgie, but does have size and power (and the available Givi stuff already on it)---

i wasn't really using my eyeballs when I snapped the various not-crankcase photos, so diagnosing a possible rusty fork situation based on just one hasty photo could be spot on, or it could be just a bad photo. and the plugged tire would absolutely either get replaced or get taken off their end of the price, parts and labor.

the BIG QUESTION for right this minute, though-- do y'all think that funky crankcase gasket on the 2019 in Shreveport is a huge RED FLAG (either sloppy original build or undisclosed rebuild work) or not?

show of hands, please?

121 - 140 of 169 Posts