Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
Blue 2007 Burgie 400
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own an old Burgie that I'm trying to get reliably back on the road, with the help of a mobile mechanic who stays really busy. (I don't have the tools or skill set to do much of the work on my own.) The bike ran okay when he got it started on first service call in early August, but less than 30 days/300 miles later started losing power around 4500 rpm. When the mechanic arrived a couple of days later to do previously scheduled repair of an exhaust leak, he dx'd the power loss as fuel pump issue. I ordered pump & regulator from Quantum, continued to gently ride bike while waiting for parts and pump repair appointment, but parked it when the problem worsened such that even doing 3500-4000 rpm for my short work commute wasn't feasible.

Mechanic came over this past week to pull & rebuild the pump assembly. Along the way we discovered that (a) the OEM filter sock was missing from bottom of pump (presumed to be at bottom of the tank, but we couldn't see it or fish it out) and (b) duh, no surprise-- there's some rust in the tank from my bad bad downtime of letting the bike sit several years. Still-- the Burgie fired up strong when we reinstalled the pump assembly, and I did a happy few laps around the neighborhood before the mechanic left.

I got up the next morning to ride to work, but NO JOY. Bike wouldn't start. Unless there's a cancellation in his heavily booked schedule, the mechanic can't get back here until early October. In the meanwhile, he's advised me to drain the tank, pull the pump assembly and try doing a 72 hour vinegar soak, followed by clean fuel. (Then he would be back to recheck & reinstall the pump assembly, etc.)

And sure-- I'm willing to give that a try, but I'm frustrated, and fretting about the WHAT IF and the WHAT NEXT and my increasingly desperate need to get some Burgie boogie therapy going to offset, ya know, STUFF.

============ MEANWHILE ============

There's a dealership out-of-state that appears to have a suitable "new" bike in their leftovers inventory. Traveling there to check it out isn't in the cards. Finding a trusted intermediary to travel for me isn't in the cards. Nor do I have any idea what particulars I would need to discuss with the dealership other than "How much OTD to ship here?"

sigh

What would you do, in my shoes? Keep throwing small to midsized chunks of money at the once beloved Blue Bella? Or take a big gamble the other way?

Curiously yours--
Poke

·
Premium Member
17,869 Posts
what year is the leftover new bike? and is it new or does it have some miles on it? It wouldn't hurt to call the dealer and get a price for what you want, It would only cost a phone call , That may determine whether you want to continue down that road, , There is a third option, keep looking for used bikes in your area, if you went several years without riding, maybe another 6 months of searching is doable .

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
That discussion starter started 22 months ago!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I'd say it depends on you....some people seem to relish the challenge of fixing up an old beater, and that fine. Personally I don't enjoy that at all and want to start with a bike that looks and performs like nearly new. If you've got the disposable income for a new bike I say go for it if that makes you happy. If you don't mind waiting a bit, as mikey said, you eventually will find a nice used one somewhere nearby for less than half of new retail.

Edit: fixed spelling...shouldn't try to type on a phone early Sunday before coffee.

·
Registered
Blue 2007 Burgie 400
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what year is the leftover new bike? and is it new or does it have some miles on it? It wouldn't hurt to call the dealer and get a price for what you want, It would only cost a phone call , That may determine whether you want to continue down that road, , There is a third option, keep looking for used bikes in your area, if you went several years without riding, maybe another 6 months of searching is doable .
Heya, mikey... the leftover is a 2018 listed as new, and I figure maybe I will call dealer this week for more info. Wondering though if there are any tips on making sure I get good answers from them, or questions that I might not think to ask.

As for option 3, you're right, except that the stress of current events makes the idea of another 6-12 months off-bike very very VERY unappealing.

·
Registered
Blue 2007 Burgie 400
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd say it depends on you....some people seem to relish the challenge of fixing up an old beater, and that fine. Personally I don't enjoy that at all and want to start with a bike that looks and performs like nearly new. If you've got the disposable income for a new bike I say go for it if that makes you happy. If you don't mind waiting a bit, as mikey said, you eventually will find a nice used one somewhere nearby for less than of new retail.
Hi, Gary.

In the years that Bella sat parked, I dealt with (part-time) caregiving for two different family members with dementia, losing a kidney to cancer, getting a knee replacement, and a lot of other crap. Then, just when I was finally getting ready to work on reviving Bella , my spouse got hurt in a car wreck and I had to delay AGAIN while he recovered. I've kind of had it with "challenges to relish" at this point, ya know?

So yeah, the idea of starting fresh is really tempting me, as long as I can figure out how to mitigate any risks of doing an online only deal. I'm not super flush with disposable income, but I do have enough in my bike savings account to consider doing it-- unless I keep tossing a bunch of $200-$300 chunks on the older bike.

·
Premium Member
17,869 Posts
ALWAYS trust a dealer like you would trust a fat man holding a melting candy bar for you or the wifey with a credit card in SACHS, shipping can be a problem with coronavirus, also unloading I had a dealer tell me I needed a forklift and a ramp to unload and unbox and had to return the crate to him, at my expense. (he still has the bike I guess) , I also bought a new bike and had the dealer send me out the door and on the road with a front brake caliper loose on the forks, and loose pinch bolts on the front wheel (2 separate incidents) I wish I could tell you have to have a smooth trouble free delivery, but I'd have a better chance of tellin you how to unnerstand wimmins

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
The work is not overly difficult, just requires the time and space. Here's my adventure in corroded fuel tank and pump replacement. 3 years, 22,000 miles later it's still running fine.

The new 2018 will do the same thing if you let it sit for a long time.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I think you saw 22m.....in this case minutes.
Obviously now that I'm awake and had my coffee it all makes sense now!

Reactions: G-Dub

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
Slowpoke,
Where you located, what is your budget for a newer bike and how tall do you stand ?
What is most important to you……form, function or fashion ?
How many miles do you envision riding in the next 36 months ?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I've bought new bikes from two local and one out-of-town dealer, and fortunately have had better luck than Mikey. Always been a good experience. With the out-of-town purchase, I knew the bike well, so we came up with an out-the-door price via email and phone conversations, and I put down $500 with a credit card. When I showed up at the dealer I just had to give them a check and sign the paperwork. (It's always a good idea to do an inspection before riding a new bike...important bolts, tire pressure, etc.)

If you have to work with a dealer you're not familiar with, I would seek out online reviews. Keep in mind no one will have 100% positive reviews, but if every other one is a bad experience, buyer beware.

Reactions: John Holbrook

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
You've certainly had your share of trials and tribulations the last few years. No one could fault you for doing something nice for yourself. And when I said earlier that some like to rehab a beater, it was a general statement, not implying that your bike is a beater. 🙂

·
Registered
Blue 2007 Burgie 400
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@ JRoss

Thanks MUCH for the link to your tank replacement thread. Very helpful, if I go that route. Side note-- I bought parts for Aron Rescec's inline filter mod, and was gonna have that done along with the pump rebuild, but my mechanic was pretty adamantly against the idea. He'd probably have done it if I insisted, but the screen in the regulator housing seemed okay and not an immediate priority. (Also, your tank write-up and pics made me realize that not only was the bottom filter sock missing, the bottom cap must have been missing too. sigh)

The new 2018 will do the same thing if you let it sit for a long time.
Oh, for sure. Consider THAT lesson well learned.

=============

@ DarisPakar

North TX, 30" inseam, and the 400 Burgie really hits my sweet spot on both form and function. As for fashion? Ehh. I would kinda rather have a bike in blue or white than black or silver, if that counts.

I envision riding a minimum of 30-45 minutes almost daily-- even if that's just doing laps close to home. Hopeful about adding in occasional day trips & pie runs, too, when I'm back in practice on reliable wheels and less concerned about running into anti-vax maniacs.

·
Registered
Blue 2007 Burgie 400
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@ G-Dub

Appreciate the level-headed advice, Gary, and no offense taken on the "beater" remark. I'll look into online reviews for the dealer in question and see what I can glean that way.

No one could fault you for doing something nice for yourself.
Long as my spouse is cool with the idea (and he is, 'cuz he wants me to be happy), I figure buying new would count as my 60th (and 70th, and all the ones in between) b'day present. It would be what I planned to ride for as long as I can still ride.

=============

@ Dave_J

Umm, appreciate the attempt to be helpful, but I sure hope you'll give me a good long heads up before landing any random riders on my doorstep! :oops:

Until the old gas tank is sealed...
Pulling everything apart to do anything about the tank would probably incline me more toward replacement than attempted restoration. Although that does raise the question of how to avoid getting a dud deal, if I shop used.

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
@ DarisPakar

North TX, 30" inseam, and the 400 Burgie really hits my sweet spot on both form and function. As for fashion? Ehh. I would kinda rather have a bike in blue or white than black or silver, if that counts.

I envision riding a minimum of 30-45 minutes almost daily-- even if that's just doing laps close to home. Hopeful about adding in occasional day trips & pie runs, too, when I'm back in practice on reliable wheels and less concerned about running into anti-vax maniacs.
Well you seem to know what you want and know what your going to do with it…
sounds like your heart is set on a newer B400.

Just remember it might be an Anti-Vax Maniac that donates blood to help save a loved one’s life.

Red Cross 9/19/21
“You may still donate blood, platelets or plasma after receiving a COVID-19 vaccine. Knowing the name of the manufacturer of the vaccine is important in determining your blood donation eligibility. To learn more about the COVID-19 vaccine and blood donation, click here»

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
Funnily enough, my next donor appointment is tomorrow afternoon. Working on my 8th gallon. :)
Kudos, there’s a shortage ….make sure to ask for the free shirt.

Immediate Blood Shortage
Your donation is urgently needed. Come to give blood Sept.13-30 for a limited-edition
t-shirt, while supplies last!

·
Registered
Blue 2007 Burgie 400
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If MikeyM volunteers, just tell him you ran out of beer.
LOL. Haven't had anything stronger than Odoul's Amber in a decade.

=============

In the opening chapter of this ongoing saga, I said...

[the mechanic I'm working with] advised me to drain the tank, pull the pump assembly and try doing a 72 hour vinegar soak, followed by clean fuel [until he can get back over next month to recheck & reinstall the pump assembly]
To be clear, we're talking about an in-place vinegar soak of the tank interior. (He said use 1/2 gal of 40% vinegar, then top off with 3 gallons water.) Thoughts on this as a possible SHORT TERM fix so that I can get in some Burgie boogie therapy while I continue to shop and/or consider my options?

1 - 20 of 180 Posts